Die gute preiswerte panzer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Die gute preiswerte panzer?

Post  epengr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Here's something that I've been playing around with, I'm interested in your thoughts. Painting coudl be better, please try not to judge based on that Smile

Are these table worthy?  Would you be content to be crushed by this Tiger? Or Flanked by this Panther?  Is it adequately clear what they are?

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Die gute preiswerte panzer?

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:38 pm

It's a tiger and a panther, good enough for me!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 pm

ScottRadom wrote:It's a tiger and a panther, good enough for me!

I was almost tempted to preemptively exclude your opinion since you were trying to sell me tanks - conflict of interest and all Wink. So it means that much more that it's a positive reply. thanks! Wink

N.B. this is a work in progress - I haven't serious used my 3D printer in over a year and I'm just learning the new softwares that are out for it and getting it tuned. I may even try going to my fiddlier but higher resolution 0.25 mm print head this weekend.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:36 pm

Hmm, so you're saying these are made by you on a 3D printer? They look great! I'd have to see them in person to say for sure but in the pictures they look like the real deal.

Now, how much for 3 Sherman's? Very Happy

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:47 pm

nathanr wrote:Now, how much for 3 Sherman's? Very Happy

They don't even cost me a couple bucks to make, but take a couple hours to print - if it goes right.  I'm sure my success rate will improve with practice, but those two suckers took all weekend to model/tune/successfully print.

For your particular case, since you seem to be good with off brand, I'd be hard pressed to do much better than these ones here...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:28 am

epengr wrote:
nathanr wrote:Now, how much for 3 Sherman's? Very Happy

... I'd be hard pressed to do much better than these ones here...

That being said, once I get the kinks worked out, I'd be happy to run you off some Shermans for a few bucks each. Pre-painted minis may actually be less desirable than 3D printed ones... And I'll stand out less if I'm not to only one fielding them Smile

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 am

Just so we're clear, I won't play against your printed Sherman's. If they're on the table, I will just assume they're not there. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:08 am

Well, Shermans might as well not be there, but you can't ignore a Tiger!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:37 am

Haha, no worries. I went ahead and ordered some Sherman's from the war store along with some other stuff I was looking for. We'll have to talk more about 3-D printing possibilities though, I have some ideas!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:24 pm

squalie wrote:Just so we're clear, I won't play against your printed Sherman's. If they're on the table, I will just assume they're not there. Wink

I have to ask - is this a serious concern or are you just giving us a hard time?

If it is a concern, does anyone share this view?

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Honestly i thought as a group we had talked about 3-D printing and we had all decided against it? This was for Warhammer so i have no idea otherwise... Personally as cool as it is id say no lets use real models. Imo. But then again buying non GW minis cuz they are cheaper like Avatar of War? Is that any different... idk

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:42 pm

A lot of off-brand companies use 3-D printers. If your models look like what they are supposed to be and you've put effort into painting and basing them then I don't see a problem with them. You are essentially becoming one of those alternate model manufacturers. If it is a square block with a stick coming out of it or a universal carrier with a greenstuff blob as a turret counting as a tank then there are problems.

I'd say go for it. I'd be more interested in the terrain possibilities myself. Bridges, dug-in markers, tree frames, fences and walls, destroyed tank markers, etc. could be made to order and I think you'd find a good market here.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:31 pm

As a group, deciding to not play with 3D printed proxies of GW proprietary models to support GW or for ethical reasons, I can understand and I would have no problem with.

Battlefront does not own World War II, and they don't own 1:100 scale.  If a group decided to only use Battlefront miniatures to support them, fine, but there's no ethical dilemma as there is with proprietary models.

Deciding against 3D printing in general is not an attitude that will stand the test of time, it didn't work for the Luddites...  Wink

Being of the opinion that the less detailed minis that my home built 3D printer turns out are not up to the standard of your gaming table...  That's up to you.  They are clear and recognizable, but admittedly not perfect.  But at my skill level, my paint jobs are not perfect either, and if you don't want to play against an opponent with sub-par painting because it detracts from the experience for you, that would be your decision as well.

Just my thoughts...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Oh, and I may run off some 3D printed infantry at some point to demonstrate, but I wouldn't field them.  A tank it can handle, 15 mm people are rather ugly stick figures with the hardware I have to work with.  I do have standards Smile

Oh hey  - here's the models and resulting DBA army that I printed in 10 mm.  I'd class them more as fancy pawns than actual miniatures:

The models are a little odd because they're carefully designed to work with the limitations of the printer.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:40 pm

One more point, all of you have played games against my scratch-built treemen and/or bretonnian trebuchet and I've never heard a word of complaint. Neither of them are as good quality as the original miniatures so there is already a precedent that has been set.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:28 pm

It's more an ethics thing for me. And quality.

I have no problem playing against 3d printed stuff, if it looks good or at least an effort has been put into making it look good. For the most part I would expect the 3D versions to look weaker than store bought traditionally cast versions but so long as it doesn't look like I'm playing against a cheapskate lego land version I am okay.

Conversely if you were taking Battlefront mini's and recasting them I WOULD in fact have a problem. Just doesn't sit well with me.

If you scratchbuilt your vehicles I wouldn't have a problem. If you had little paper models printed out and folded ever so carefully I would not play against them.

Little differences but there it is.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:21 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Little differences but there it is.

No, I totally get it.  I do very much respect and appreciate the effort that you guys put into painting and modelling, and as cool as this is:

I can understand why you wouldn't want them on that table.

But you'll have to see my 3D prints in person, and judge for yourself.  They are good.  Not great.    I think I can do better, and I'm gonna keep trying.  That's half the fun.  If after seeing them you feel they're not good enough, that's fair. If someone wants to exclude them just because they're 3D printed....

Maybe I should give one to Scott, and see what it looks like after going under his brush...  That might change some minds Wink

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:17 pm

epengr wrote:

But you'll have to see my 3D prints in person, and judge for yourself.  They are good.  Not great.    I think I can do better, and I'm gonna keep trying.  That's half the fun.  If after seeing them you feel they're not good enough, that's fair. If someone wants to exclude them just because they're 3D printed....

For tournament play more than half your models must be Battlefront

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:58 pm

|marauder| wrote:For tournament play...

I think you overestimate my ambitions....  

Part of the appeal of an SS army, is that fact that I can still feel good when I lose - because I should lose!  But losing repeatedly in one day... Wink

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm

SS are a tough list to play as they are very expensive compared to a Heer list.
But, the morale rating means you should be making your checks and skill level means you should be a tough customer.
What are you running for SS?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:33 pm

|marauder| wrote:What are you running for SS?

Just posted the list I'm aiming for here.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:16 am

Posted comments on that link
-remember they are suggestions and comments only

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm