Scott Radom vs. Flames of War

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott Radom vs. Flames of War

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 pm

I too am working hard to get back into this game. Great news! I have more than 1900 points of functional Late War American Tanks w/ Armored rifle support. Better news! I have enthusiasm for a project even AFTER I have a playable force. Often times motivation craters just BEFORE getting a playable force so this is a neato thing. I have also made a deal that I am to add playable points to my FoW force (American or otherwise) each month or I pay a self imposed penalty to Mr. Ryan Glover. Each time I do complete a platoon I am allowing myself to buy $50 more worth of stuff.

I am currently near finish the HQ of an Armored Rifle Company as I'd like to be able to play and Armored Rifle Company but currently only have a single platoon available. Stuff I want/need/will be working on to flesh out the force...

-An Armored Rifle platoon (Fairly large project, 5 vehicles and 10ish stands of infantry)
-Recce Platoon (Small to Large project with 3-9 vehicles I think)
-Tank Destroyer platoon (Medium project, 4 tanks and some jeeps and shit)
-Air support (Small project! A single plane, no biggy!)
-Air Observation Plane (Another cheating project, single plane and done yo!)
-MG Stands. I need this to flesh out my AR Platoons as they can take the MG's off the halftracks when they disembark.
-Mobile Artillery (Medium to Large Project. 4-6 Vehicles plus command)

Those are some of the things I am thinking about. My decisions will be based on what I feel I want to move into after playing.

My list for Late War Tanks (2nd Armored, this is just using the basic from the box army list)

CHQ

2 Full 5 Tank Sherman platoons
1 Full 5 Tank 76mm Sherman Platoon
1 Full Light Stuart Tank Platoon
1 Full Armored Rifle Platoon

And I think that's actually under by a little bit points wise so I need to bulk up with some of the options that are inevitably in the newest army book. Like adding a 105mm Sherman to the CHQ (which I have painted) and adding bazooka's to the AR Platoon (which I also have painted).

Pics to come once I finish the last bits on my CHQ Halftrack. Which is all I have left for that option. My first deadline I gave myself to have things completed by is Mar 31 so looks like Mr. Glover will not be getting cash bucks form me! Suck on that, bitch.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott Radom vs. Flames of War

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:33 am

ScottRadom wrote:

My list for Late War Tanks (2nd Armored, this is just using the basic from the box army list)

CHQ

2 Full 5 Tank Sherman platoons
1 Full 5 Tank 76mm Sherman Platoon
1 Full Light Stuart Tank Platoon
1 Full Armored Rifle Platoon

Looks pretty solid but no arty = no T on T = one of USA's best abilities missing from your list.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:15 pm

True dat. I used to play an edition or two back with airborne and a 6 gun battery of 75mm artillery. Weak guns but great rules and they made the difference a few times.

I'm thinking strongly of putting together a battery of Sherman 105's or maybe some priests but without the staff teams I can't remember if the Shermans even get ToT. Also I worry I will just lose patience and may as well spend the points bulking out my stabby stuff.

Problem is.... I don't yet have the FoW mentality. I played Nathan the other day and even with a moderate (maybe 30 games or more lifetime?) level of experience with the game I still play FoW like a small 8 year old child might. I have no finesse or style other than "Get 'em!".

After EVERY game I play it's fun to talk to the opponent who is usually a warhammer enthusiast like myself and sit and talk about how badly we played the game. In FoW it's is so much better to maneuver or deploy your forces so they take maybe 1 or 2 good game changing shots rather then try to set them up so they are "rolling dice" every turn.

From my experience us old time GW guys have a LIFETIME of bad habbits to get out of. The very things that might have made you cock of the walk at one point in time earning 6 city championships, several griffon statues (The good kind, not the shitty plastic kind), and maybe some other griffon statues (...the shitty plastic kind... sigh...) work against you in FoW.

FoW is much, much better designed. I love the game more every time I play it. The only thing that holds me back continuously from swearing off all else is the painting thing. 15mm is not the scale of choice for me to work on and the constraints of purely historical colour choices can be a drag. I'm still a painter first and I find working on infantry at this scale more of a contest in will power rather then a fun time with a brush and my newest fav paint range (ScaleColour is amazing BTW).

Glad to have you here!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:04 am

ScottRadom wrote:True dat.  I used to play an edition or two back with airborne and a 6 gun battery of 75mm artillery.  Weak guns but great rules and they made the difference a few times.

I'm thinking strongly of putting together a battery of Sherman 105's or maybe some priests but without the staff teams I can't remember if the Shermans even get ToT.  Also I worry I will just lose patience and may as well spend the points bulking out my stabby stuff.

The 105 Shermans dig out infantry and guns teams very nicely with their breakthrough gun. No, you need a staff team to get T on T.

ScottRadom wrote:
Problem is.... I don't yet have the FoW mentality.  I played Nathan the other day and even with a moderate (maybe 30 games or more lifetime?) level of experience with the game I still play FoW like a small 8 year old child might.  I have no finesse or style other than "Get 'em!".
Are you playing tanks? Sorry cannot remember what you list is now that I started answering this post. If it is tanks - that is what you do. However, you have to "soften" up your target for a turn or two before ramming home your charge.
ScottRadom wrote:
After EVERY game I play it's fun to talk to the opponent who is usually a warhammer enthusiast like myself and sit and talk about how badly we played the game.  In FoW it's is so much better to maneuver or deploy your forces so they take maybe 1 or 2 good game changing shots rather then try to set them up so they are "rolling dice" every turn.
FoW is a game of tactics and maneuver - why I really like it. Especially, since I am not a great dice roller.
ScottRadom wrote:
From my experience us old time GW guys have a LIFETIME of bad habbits to get out of.  The very things that might have made you cock of the walk at one point in time earning 6 city championships, several griffon statues (The good kind, not the shitty plastic kind), and maybe some other griffon statues (...the shitty plastic kind... sigh...) work against you in FoW.

FoW is much, much better designed.  I love the game more every time I play it.  The only thing that holds me back continuously from swearing off all else is the painting thing.  15mm is not the scale of choice for me to work on and the constraints of purely historical colour choices can be a drag.  I'm still a painter first and I find working on infantry at this scale more of a contest in will power rather then a fun time with a brush and my newest fav paint range (ScaleColour is amazing BTW).

Glad to have you here!
Ah, then let me ask - how are you painting the infantry? You might need to rethink how you do them. Do you paint the webbing and faces last; doing the main uniform/colour first?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:45 pm

15mm gaming infantry is never going to be a good time for me. It's not that it's a particular challenge to "stay in the lines" or anything, I'm a fair hand with a brush. It's just not a real painters scale vs. 28mm or higher. You can do cool things for sure but I find even those that invest the necessary time on the scale to make it pop usually comes down to elaborate basing standards etc.

The super high contrast style and blocked in painting look great at this scale and on the table. Smooth blends and such don't really pay off 3ft away at the Den. I feel the longer I spend focusing on getting FoW stuff table ready I get into several bad habits I don't want to maintain. I'm essentially DIPPING my infantry...

So unfortunately for me the painting seems like it's always going to be a necessary evil. I love the game enough and I have a couple playable armies already so it's not the end of the world. I'm going to put more focus on painting for competitions and eBay for the next several months and the FoW progress will happen in short controlled bursts.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:55 am

Fair enough

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:15 pm

However, you have to "soften" up your target for a turn or two before ramming home your charge

Those are words to live by, by the way...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 pm

Glad you like it.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:14 am

Sponsored content