Nathan R's FOW Thread

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  |marauder| on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:48 am

Question - were the Paratroopers the Tank crews as well?
Why I ask is a tanker would never trade in his black beret for a red one and a paratrooper would always wear his red one.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:35 am

I'm trying to find the site that I originally found when I was doing research but I'm not having much luck. Essentially the tank crews wore a mix of black and red berets. Those that were trained for the unit had the red ones while the tank crews that got transferred in usually kept their black ones even though they were given red ones.

I went with red because it is more visually appealing and gives the tank some a warm contrasting color that stands out in all the green and brown. With the infantry I'm going with all helmeted heads because I watched Saving Private Ryan and I saw what happens when a soldier takes off his helmet. Sad Because of that still I wanted the red beret in there somewhere so I figured the tank crews would be a good place.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:39 am

nathanr wrote:I'm trying to find the site that I originally found when I was doing research but I'm not having much luck.  Essentially the tank crews wore a mix of black and red berets.  Those that were trained for the unit had the red ones while the tank crews that got transferred in usually kept their black ones even though they were given red ones.

I went with red because it is more visually appealing and gives the tank some a warm contrasting color that stands out in all the green and brown.  With the infantry I'm going with all helmeted heads because I watched Saving Private Ryan and I saw what happens when a soldier takes off his helmet. Sad   Because of that still I wanted the red beret in there somewhere so I figured the tank crews would be a good place.
No worries - was just curious...as I know there is a lot of rivalry between units; especially Paratroopers and Armour

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 am

No worries - was just curious...as I know there is a lot of rivalry between units; especially Paratroopers and Armour

I was sensing that during my research. This company seemed to be an anomaly since everyone was a trained paratrooper and the Tetrarch tanks actually fit into gliders and landed with the rest of the paratroopers and glider infantry. The Cromwells were attached after the D-Day landings so they should probably have the black berets but I'm leaving them red for the reasons that I gave before. If called on it I'll just say they felt such a camaraderie with their fellow paratroopers that they are some of the few that made the switch to the red berets.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

[quote="nathanr"]
 If called on it I'll just say they felt such a camaraderie with their fellow paratroopers that they are some of the few that made the switch to the red berets.
LOL - works for me!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:14 pm

I made some smoke markers:

Here's all my stuff, based and ready to be painted:

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:06 am

Your army box looks suspiciously similar to my own. I really like those flame thingee's. Where did you get them again?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:00 am

eBay, they weren't cheap and the base is pretty wide to be functional. I'd recommend building your own. I found a video on YouTube that explains how to do it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:16 am

Love the factory new Tiffy!

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:06 am

Me too, although the shiney silver uniforms I've given all my paratroopers might not be the greatest camouflage!

In all seriousness though, I think the infantry are going to be my next painting project. I'll at least try to get the basecoats on them in the next couple of weeks.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:52 am

nathanr wrote: I think the infantry are going to be my next painting project.  I'll at least try to get the basecoats on them in the next couple of weeks.
No more silver surfers! bounce

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:03 am

Well, I put paint on two infantry teams last night. I'm glad I'm not doing a soviet infantry horde. My paratroopers are supposed to have a special camo pattern jacket that differentiates them from the stock infantry but there's barely enough of it showing under all the equipment for me to do a good job of it. Maybe I'll have to re-think not using the red berets, I think I may need them so my opponent knows what they're facing. Once I have a few more teams done or maybe the first platoon I'll post pictures.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:17 am

nathanr wrote:Well, I put paint on two infantry teams last night.  I'm glad I'm not doing a soviet infantry horde.  My paratroopers are supposed to have a special camo pattern jacket that differentiates them from the stock infantry but there's barely enough of it showing under all the equipment for me to do a good job of it.  Maybe I'll have to re-think not using the red berets, I think I may need them so my opponent knows what they're facing.  Once I have a few more teams done or maybe the first platoon I'll post pictures.
3 years later I am still painting and collecting a Soviet horde for my son Levi.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 pm

nathanr wrote:Well, I put paint on two infantry teams last night.  I'm glad I'm not doing a soviet infantry horde.  My paratroopers are supposed to have a special camo pattern jacket that differentiates them from the stock infantry but there's barely enough of it showing under all the equipment for me to do a good job of it.  Maybe I'll have to re-think not using the red berets, I think I may need them so my opponent knows what they're facing.  Once I have a few more teams done or maybe the first platoon I'll post pictures.

Attaboy! WYSIWYG FTW!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:32 am

Here's my Typhoon. I guess I'm procrastinating from painting infantry already! I think it turned out ok. The pictures as usual are crappy and make it look sloppier than it looks on the table. I also painted my other 3 Tetrarchs and painted all the company markings onto the other tanks, something I had been putting off for a while. I'll post pictures next week sometime.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:55 am

That looks good, really like the light reflection you did on the canopy. Stolen!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks Don! I know I said next week but here are the tetrarchs:

Also, here are pics of the company markings that I put on each tank:

Not sure why I went to all that trouble, they're only visible when you tip them up like that!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:11 am

Do you need decals? I have plenty of decal sheets, probably have something to help. Didn't you get any in the Canadian box?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:56 pm

They aren't the right ones. It's the price I have to pay for playing an obscure list. Most of the Recce decals are a white 45 on green and blue but mine used 41. Also the Red Devils patch isn't readily available. The transfer sheets also don't have the right bridge rating numbers (yellow circle with black number) for my tetrarchs.

Plus I don't really like the transfers, never used them in Warhammer and I'm trying not to rely on them for this either. I'd rather butcher it freehand!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:35 pm

nathanr wrote:They aren't the right ones.  It's the price I have to pay for playing an obscure list.  Most of the Recce decals are a white 45 on green and blue but mine used 41.  Also the Red Devils patch isn't readily available.  The transfer sheets also don't have the right bridge rating numbers (yellow circle with black number) for my tetrarchs.

Plus I don't really like the transfers, never used them in Warhammer and I'm trying not to rely on them for this either.  I'd rather butcher it freehand!

I have yellow circles with black numbers and white 44 on green/blue.  You could paint the corner on the number 4 to make it look like a 1.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:34 pm

I can't believe you're worried about the authenticity of these marking yet you were gung ho tro not do the WYSIWYG on the bikes and stuff. Nathan you're an enigma!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Hey, that's what I like. Dedication to detail, especially on historical figures. Nice going.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:51 pm

squalie wrote:
nathanr wrote:They aren't the right ones.  It's the price I have to pay for playing an obscure list.  Most of the Recce decals are a white 45 on green and blue but mine used 41.  Also the Red Devils patch isn't readily available.  The transfer sheets also don't have the right bridge rating numbers (yellow circle with black number) for my tetrarchs.

Plus I don't really like the transfers, never used them in Warhammer and I'm trying not to rely on them for this either.  I'd rather butcher it freehand!

I have yellow circles with black numbers and white 44 on green/blue.  You could paint the corner on the number 4 to make it look like a 1.

But the yellow circles don't have a 7. That's the weight for a Tetrarch. A Stuart is 15, Cromwell is 27, Sherman is 30.

Scott, I wanted more motorcycles in my list, Sarah's great uncle was a motorcycle mechanic in the war, fixing the British bikes and later training the other mechanics. He was apparently a fairly famous mechanic and ended up writing THE book for motorcycle mechanics, still being sold to this day. If I were in a motorcycle Recce unit and I had a choice between a jeep and a motorcycle serviced by Bernie Nicholson I'd pick the motorcycle.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Well, what the **** do I know!  I don't even really know what the numbers mean anyways.  K, I'll leave you alone about the decals.

**edit**

What did you do for tank tracks?

...I'm waaay overthinking this.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 pm

Bolt gun metal, drybrush of flat earth, wash of Devlan mud.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top