Nathan R's FOW Thread

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:04 pm

I suppose firing smoke before I assault would give me cover as well, being fearless veterans I'd at least only be hit on 5+ so statistically he'd need 15 shots to get the pin and stop the assault.

Thanks for all the quick answers, I'm out of questions for now I think.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:57 pm

Fearless Veteran?! Yeesh.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Only the best! Unfortunately it means my cromwells are 115 points apiece and an 8 team airlanding platoon is 220. On the upside, it means I have less to paint.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:06 pm

nathanr wrote:I suppose firing smoke before I assault would give me cover as well, being fearless veterans I'd at least only be hit on 5+ so statistically he'd need 15 shots to get the pin and stop the assault.

Thanks for all the quick answers, I'm out of questions for now I think.
Yes, smoke is an invaluable tool
- if you have it
- if it isn't busy elsewhere
With Commandoes or Paratroopers a small mortar platoon is ideal for this tactic (very cheap on points)

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Are there any sites that'll break up larger kits and sell bits and pieces like .50 cal machine guns or certain individual infantry models or gun parts?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:52 pm

nathanr wrote:Are there any sites that'll break up larger kits and sell bits and pieces like .50 cal machine guns or certain individual infantry models or gun parts?
There is a FoW Facebook group called Swap Shop or something like that.
What do you need?

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:55 pm

That's the thing, I don't really need anything but I've had many Warhammer projects kick off because I saw something cool on Bitz Barn or Horde O' Bits. Mostly just looking for a FOW equivalent if it exists.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:06 pm

nathanr wrote:That's the thing, I don't really need anything but I've had many Warhammer projects kick off because I saw something cool on Bitz Barn or Horde O' Bits.  Mostly just looking for a FOW equivalent if it exists.
Yes - Flames of War Swap Shop on Facebook

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Alright, I started basing the infantry for my Airborne Armoured Recce Squadron so that means I've more or less finalized the roster:

Airborne Armoured Recce Squadron HQ
3 Tetrarch CS
1 Captured Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm)

Seaborne Armoured Recce Platoon
3 Cromwell IV

3 Cromwell IV

Airborne Armoured Recce Platoon
3 Tetrarch

Airborne Recce Platoon
1 Cmd Motorcycle Rifle team
1 Motorcycle Rifle team
1 Universal Carrier with extra hull-mounted MG

Airlanding Platoon
1 Cmd Rifle/MG team
1 PIAT team
1 Light Mortar team
5 Rifle/MG team

Airlanding Platoon
1 Cmd Rifle/MG team
1 PIAT team
1 Light Mortar team
5 Rifle/MG team

Airlanding Anti-tank Platoon
1 Cmd Rifle team
3 OQF 6 pdr gun (late)

Air Support
Priority Air Support Typhoon

Fearless Veteran, Company Points: 1895, Number of Platoons: 8

Have at it! I know the Typhoon is considered a sub-par choice but I don't care, I like it. The motorcycles have to stay too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:56 pm

nathanr wrote:Alright, I started basing the infantry for my Airborne Armoured Recce Squadron so that means I've more or less finalized the roster:

Airborne Armoured Recce Squadron HQ
3 Tetrarch CS
1 Captured Sd Kfz 10/5 (2cm)

Airborne Recce Platoon
1 Cmd Motorcycle Rifle team
1 Motorcycle Rifle team
1 Universal Carrier with extra hull-mounted MG

Have at it!  I know the Typhoon is considered a sub-par choice but I don't care, I like it.  The motorcycles have to stay too.

Both of these Platoons are fantastic to lift GtG units allowing your Cromwells to fire with better accuracy.
As for the Tiffy - how is it subpar? It is one of the best planes in the game?

Last edited by |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Everyone has been telling me that Air support isn't very reliable and that spending the points on priority air support isn't worth it. I'm going to keep it in until I come to that conclusion myself. So far I'm finding that most people don't have a lot of AA (maybe because nobody takes planes) so in the games that I've had it my typhoon has had it's choice of targets and has done quite well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:25 pm

I keep hearing the same thing, but don't have a lot of experience. I had a typhoon in my list against lance and then found out the bugger had a jet that I couldn't even intercept because his was too fast!! I thought, pfft, I'll just put some AA on the table that can double duty as an infantry killer and dabble in both worlds.

I also noticed that there are so many instances where planes can't even shoot! Friendlies too close, buildings too close, AA, another plane, etc.

Love the looks of it though.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm

Priority Air is too much - now Limited is really good.
Sorry to hear Don did not like my Jet - it was very pretty Wink

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:34 pm

See, I could drop the Typhoon down to limited and get 50 points, but then what? 50 points won't buy me anything of use with my Fearless Veterans and I don't even have any optional upgrades on the platoons that I do have.

The way I see it, if aircraft are normally unreliable then I should probably do my best to increase that reliability. Hence the priority air support. It may be flawed logic but it's MY flawed logic!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:42 pm

|marauder| wrote:Priority Air is too much - now Limited is really good.
Sorry to hear Don did not like my Jet - it was very pretty Wink

Um, I didn't see it - it was too fast. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:51 pm

I thought the same thing Nathan, but you can roll 7 dice with priority and still be fended off with one dice from your opponent. If you must have a Typhoon, and you must, then just go bare bones with it. I also don't buy for one second that you couldn't use 50 points. Even in my confident trained British list (confident trained!!!) I'd kill for 50 points. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Ok, I dropped the Typhoon down to limited support, added a 4th 6pdr (didn't realize I hadn't maxed out that platoon) and gave them jeeps (also thought I'd already done that). This now means that I need to buy at least 2 more airborne jeeps.

Now, for my motorcycle recce platoon the command motorcycle team is supposed to go in a jeep. If I'm attaching jeeps to the 6pdrs that'll take up all my jeep models (including the 2 I'll need to buy). I have an extra motorcycle with a sidecar that is roughly the same size as a jeep. Would it be ok to substitute that model to represent the command jeep? I'll post pictures to clarify when i get home if that helps.

Stat-wise the two are identical. The movement for the motorcycle team is even rated as "jeep". The description from the book is: "The Command Motorcycle Rifle team is mounted in a Jeep, but operates in the same way as the other Motorcycle Rifle team." As this is such a unique and seldom-used platoon I would wager that most people wouldn't even realize that there was something amiss. Of course if anyone has reasonable objections to the idea I'd buckle down and buy the extra jeep model.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm

That wouldn't bother me at all, in fact would seem pretty thematic. Scott and Lance will be here shortly to offer their views. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:26 pm

BUY THE JEEP!!!!!

...jackass...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:18 pm

ScottRadom wrote:BUY THE JEEP!!!!!

...jackass...

Aaand this is why I specified "reasonable objections"

Here's a picture of the two side by side:

I figure a small base under the motorcycle will do even more to minimize the size difference and allow me to do even more fun stuff with the basing.  If you're worried about the early war helmets I've got a few extra paratrooper heads kicking around and I could do some head swaps.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:33 pm

One of them looks like a jeep. The other one looks like a motorcycle with a sidecar. Not sure what head swaps will do in this regard.

Look you can mount your command squad in Knight Rider for all I care. As cool as KITT is it IS NOT a wysiwyg mini and I will always ridicule you openly. And often.

You're really OK with doing head swaps and shit but don't want to pony up the few sheckels to make this force all legal and shit?

Anyway, I don't care that much if you're pooling opinions. I will ridicule you though. Often.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm

Lol, I'm constantly reminded by Scott why I come to this site. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:11 am

It's not the money, I just think a motorcycle fits in this situation. I think it's a cool mini and I'd like to use it too. I figure it's called a motorcycle rifle team so they're gonna get bugged by their biker buddies if they're pussying out in a jeep. I can handle getting ridiculed by you Scott, I know deep down you know the motorcycle is cooler.

Maybe it's just the Warhammer player in me wanting something unique instead of 100% accurate.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:51 am

nathanr wrote:It's not the money, I just think a motorcycle fits in this situation.  I think it's a cool mini and I'd like to use it too.  I figure it's called a motorcycle rifle team so they're gonna get bugged by their biker buddies if they're pussying out in a jeep.  I can handle getting ridiculed by you Scott, I know deep down you know the motorcycle is cooler.

Maybe it's just the Warhammer player in me wanting something unique instead of 100% accurate.
First off - motorbikes & Jeeps may be interchanged no problem. However, Jeeps can be used to tow quite a few gun teams while Motorcycles cannot. As an independent team they both save on a 3+
Secondly, the Jeeps you are using for the 6pdrs I am assuming are transport teams - they save on a 5+ and loaded 6 pounders being towed become passengers and also save at a 5+ (excellent reason to not tow your guns unless desperate).
Thirdly, the independent motorbike is also mounted on a small base making it the same size as the jeep.
Fourth point the reason the arsenal has a jeep instead of a motorbike is that is most likely what the unit was issued and will be historically accurate. That being said no one I know who plays (myself included) will care either way Wink

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:19 pm

First platoon of tetrarchs, next up, not sure what. I've been basing and doing other busywork as I wait for my eyesight to get better (with PRK surgery it can take several weeks to fully stabalize) but it's taking it's damn time and I'm almost out of busywork. I guess I'll probably try to finish off the rest of the tanks before I tackle the infantry.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top