Nathan R's FOW Thread

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  LorSve on Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:29 pm

squalie wrote:
nathanr wrote:I can make you some terrain Don, let me know what you want and we can work something out.  The T-Rex head I don't think I can make much bigger than what I've got.

I know - I was just teasing.  I WOULD like to find a way to make the biggest T Rex Skull possible.  What's the biggest reasonable 3D printer you can buy?  Reasonable.

Shapeways seems to be the big name in contracting out printing services.
http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=skull+trex&type=product

LorSve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:24 pm

I printed out a windmill today. It went together really nicely, I'll paint it up and then take some pictures. So far I've got 3 houses, some fences and the windmill. I'm going to try printing a church and a different variety of fence next. The church will be interesting because I'll need to modify the model myself to get it to fit on the printer. So far I've just been printing other people's models.

Eventually I'll post pictures of everything.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:00 pm

Here's a few pictures of what I've done so far:

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:49 pm

that is fantastic, any idea what your cost is for each building?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 pm

Maybe $1-$5. $20 U.S. for a roll of filament and I'm still on the first one. I think this first roll will pay for the printer in saved $.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:31 pm

That's very cool indeed. How savvy does one need to be to operate one of these units? How much would your level of printer cost?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:52 pm

Mine was $200 U.S. Plus $60 shipping and $20 for a roll of filament. It is very easy to run. Just pick what you want, load it up and hit start.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Ok, so that's the price of 4-5 Battlefront buildings. That's way cheaper than I thought.

I think I'm going to do my homework on one of these.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Made a new terrain square.  Well to be honest, it was an old terrain square but I've updated it with new buildings.

My printer is down and out for a bit, something broke and I'm waiting on a part.  Shouldn't be too long but it's annoying.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:30 pm

those buildings are amazing, hard to believe what these printers can do. good paint job on them as well.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:38 pm

Nearly finished painting my 9 new tetrarch tanks. They aren't quite as nice as the battlefront minis but they'll work for the few times I want to use the all tetrarch list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 pm

what company are they from....or did you print them?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:52 pm

They look awesome!
|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Take this as an insult or compliment (no insult intended) but I can't tell which is which. Smile Looks very cool and will give infantry armies fits.

I'm finishing painting my Soviets to get ready for Flames of War V4 in March. Want to play a lot more FoW.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:55 pm

[quote="nathanr"]Here's a few pictures of what I've done so far:

I super like this picture. If this doesn't make you want to play FoW, then.....I don't know but you're probably stupid.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:56 pm

squalie wrote:Take this as an insult or compliment (no insult intended) but I can't tell which is which. Smile  Looks very cool and will give infantry armies fits.

I'm finishing painting my Soviets to get ready for Flames of War V4 in March.  Want to play a lot more FoW.
The 3 closest are BFs
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:03 pm

|marauder| wrote:
squalie wrote:Take this as an insult or compliment (no insult intended) but I can't tell which is which. Smile  Looks very cool and will give infantry armies fits.

I'm finishing painting my Soviets to get ready for Flames of War V4 in March.  Want to play a lot more FoW.
The 3 closest are BFs

I see it now. The front 6 I think are BF.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:18 pm

The front 6 are indeed BF. The other 9 are printed on my printer. The gun barrels are BF as the printed ones looked shitty and I had extras. I don't plan on printing a lot of my models but for gimmicky shit like 15 tetrarchs I think the savings is worth it. And once they're painted I don't think they look embarrassingly bad.

If any of my opponents has a major problem with it I'm ok playing a different list.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:25 am

nathanr wrote:

If any of my opponents has a major problem with it I'm ok playing a different list.
I like them! I would be happy to play against them!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:55 am

I played a game with Lorne last night. He brought a bunch of German tanks while I stuck with my British Airlanding Company. We rolled up the No Retreat scenario and that's when I realized that I had 7 platoons meaning 4 would have to sit in reserve. With a platoon of 6 pdrs in ambush I set up my other platoon of 6 pdrs and an airlanding infantry platoon on the near objective and awaited the German Panzers. Lorne advanced quickly, targeting my 6pdrs right out of the gate. On the far right flank he had a small platoon of tanks advancing toward the other objective pretty much unopposed, forcing me to pop my ambush which killed all but one of the tanks which made a hasty retreat. However, those 6 pdrs now had no target and were well out of the main fight which was raging on the other side of the town. The 6pdrs there were all destroyed and the tanks were moving in to assault. Luckily the Brits were dishing it out as they were dying so managed to thin down the ranks of German tanks. By turn 3 the defenders were nearly wiped out and things were looking grim because I hadn't rolled any reserves yet. Luckily I managed to roll 2 5's on turn 3 so a platoon of Cromwells and a platoon of M10's rolled onto the table. They got incredibly lucky with their shooting and managed to take down a bunch of tanks in their first two turns on the table and suddenly Lorne's Germans were hard pressed. 2 shots from the M10's took down his remaining 2 Panthers and that pretty much sealed the deal. It was a fun back and forth game and I enjoyed the opportunity to use some of the new terrain I've been working on. It really makes the game more enjoyable when you have a nice table to play it on.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:13 am

It's good to see new players win over the vets! That's one thing I really like about FoW, you can compare lists and it would seem that player A would struggle over player B, but the game really is balanced nicely for the most part.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:22 am

nathanr wrote:I played a game with Lorne last night.  He brought a bunch of German tanks while I stuck with my British Airlanding Company.  We rolled up the No Retreat scenario and that's when I realized that I had 7 platoons meaning 4 would have to sit in reserve.
I see this happen frequently - really feels like one player has tied his hand behind his back. Version 4 does reserves by points so hopefully that makes things better.
Meanwhile - great read!
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:59 am

It really is a great game. I'm reminded of that every time I play it. I'm not sure that there are a ton of things that need fixing but perhaps 4th edition will make everything that much tighter and better.

Having only 3 platoons to start wasn't terrible, it just added that sense of urgency to the reserves roll and the first two turns were very desperate with a plucky platoon of airlanding infantry desperately trying to hold off a bunch of Panzer IV's and Panthers until the British tanks showed up. It had a very Saving Private Ryan feel to it.

One thing I learned in the game was that I need to think very hard about how I position my infantry. Specifically, I need to put rifle teams forward and PIATs and other specialty teams slightly back so that when my opponent assaults the PIAT team isn't the team in contact and therefore the team that dies first. Especially against tanks I need the PIAT teams in the counterassault. They need to be close enough that they can shoot as the enemy comes in but not die before they can swing. It is easy to do in theory but harder to do in practice.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 am

Yes, speed bumps are crucial. With three Shrek/Hunter teams in my Lehr platoons I quickly learned this/that lesson.
|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat May 27, 2017 9:30 am

After a long time of inactivity I finally have my printer up and running again. I've been printing some buildings for Lorne and with the proceeds from that I purchased a really nice church model from printable scenery. Let me know if you want one.

https://www.printablescenery.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/3.png

I'm thinking $40 or so for one of these. It's pretty big and has a lot of parts that will take a long time to print.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top