Nathan R's FOW Thread

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:24 am

Here's a question for the more experienced FOW guys out there.  How accurate do my infantry teams need to be?  I'm running rifle/mg teams pretty exclusively which I understand are supposed to have 3-4 rifles and 1 LMG.  I've tried to stretch my infantry models about as far as they'll go which means I've got 4 guys to a team and most of them (but not all) have a LMG model.  Is this going to cause confusion?  Personally, I can't see it being a problem because I have to look very closely to see what kind of gun each model has but I know there are some people that are fanatical about this sort of thing.

Another question, this one is maybe a bit more tactical. My Tetrarch tanks (very light tank) have the option to equip Littlejohn adapters which increases their antitank rating to 9 (from 7) but reduces the firepower to 5+ (from 4+) and they also become "No HE" (can't use it against infantry). Is this a useful tradeoff? At first I thought so but Tetrarchs aren't meant to be hitting tanks on the front anyway so the increased AT could be somewhat pointless, especially with the reduction in firepower although it does give me more threats to Panzer MK IV's and Stugs which would otherwise largely ignore my AT7 Tetrarchs.

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More questions!)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:43 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head when you realized tetrarchs aren't meant to be punching it out with tanks. Stick with the HE option for hitting gun emplacements and stuff.

I'd like to see wysiwyg infantry teams. I'd play you with the "stretched out" mini's but is it really worth it? aren't we talking about 1 blisters worth of infantry mini's to make your force legit as shit?

You do what you gotta do but I'd rather leave any confusion about my army in my opponents hands rather than mine. If my opponent says "Oh, I didn't know they were rifle/mg teams." I want that to be because he didn't look closely at my unit or he made false assumptions rather than forgot that my stuff wasn't exactly as pictured.

But that's me. I'll play you no matter what though. I will mock you crazy style forever though if you choose wrong.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:30 pm

make it wysiwig for sure.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:36 pm

Ya, that's kind of what I thought. Oh well, I've got all the infantry teams in my Airborne Armoured Recce modeled right. My Canadians will need some remodeling before I put any paint on them but for now I'll leave them as-is and beg the mercy of my opponents. They're not going to be my main army anyway, more of a secondary force when I feel like changing it up a bit.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:58 pm

Here's my new Canadian list:

Company HQ - 1ic & 2ic Rifle Teams
Sniper Team
CSM Stan Hollis, VC
Rifle Platoon - Command Rifle Team, PIAT team, Light Mortar Team, 6 Rifle/MG Teams, 2 Defrocked Priests
Rifle Platoon - Command Rifle Team, PIAT team, Light Mortar Team, 6 Rifle/MG Teams, 2 Defrocked Priests
Machine Gun Platoon - Command Rifle Team, 4 Vickers HMG Teams
Carrier Platoon - 3 Wasp Carriers, Universal Carrier with PIAT, 2 Universal Carriers with .50 cal MG
Independent Armour Platoon - 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
Independent Armour Platoon - 2 Shermans, 1 Firefly
Corps Anti-Tank Platoon (SP) - 4 M10C 17pdr SP
Corps Field Battery - 3 Command Rifle Teams, 1 Staff Team, 2 Observer Rifle Teams, 2 OP Carriers, 8 OQF 25pdr Guns

The addition of the Field Battery means I still have stuff to buy and it makes my company much more defensive which I guess is good for an infantry company. 8 artillery guns means I can blast away at range and force my opponents to come to me. The wasps are a fun one-trick pony platoon that can burn infantry if they can survive long enough to get to shoot and the other 3 carriers pack quite a punch for such a little unit. I've got plenty of anti-armour in the 4 M10's and 2 fireflys and the 4 shermans give the fireflys some survivability. The rifle platoons and HMG platoon can dig in around some objectives and blast away at whatever may come their way. Alternately, they can load into the priests and get wherever they need to go. The sniper is just there for fun. Everyone is rated as Confident Trained.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:53 pm

Do you have all of these models?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:20 pm

All except the artillery platoon.  I'll need to buy that still.

Technically I'm missing 2 M10's and a Sherman as well. I ordered them along with some other stuff so while I don't have them in hand yet I did get the e-mail that they shipped today.

Also, I don't have enough rifle/mg teams either. I've got some rifle teams standing in at the moment though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Lol, ok good. *I* feel that your armoured platoons should be 3 Sherman/1 Firefly. 3 tanks aren't enough unless they're Panthers. With 3 tanks, running only confident trained, you'll be hit easier (trained) and run faster (confident)when you do lose tanks. Also, people will try to snipe the Fireflys as much as possible. Shermans don't have protected armour so won't get the bail reroll, meaning your tanks will have crew standing beside them or dead.

I don't think I've ever seen a list with 8 25 pdr's before. 4 is plenty as they're mostly used as smoke and if they kill anything it's a bonus. Plus, 8 is a bunch of money - not that that has ever stopped a hobbyist. Very Happy If you really want extra artillery, get 5.5's. They are actually 100 pdr's !!! and will f*** shit up - dudes or tanks. They are universally hated by opponents and really add another anti tank option. They are 310 points and you have to include a 25 pdr's to get them.

I asked about snipers before and most feel they are overpriced for almost no gain. Super fluffy going with a Canadian sniper, but apparently don't expect much. I was going to include Vickers but was told that's where the 6 pdr's should go instead. Apparently, they are waaaay good.

BUT, since I know almost nothing about this game personally, I'm giving you second hand advice.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Play as much as possible with what you've got then figure out what's next.

I like the game a lot at 1500 points and will be happy to play you a plenty. What's stopping me from figuring out exactly where I want to go with the 'mericans next is I need to play more and figure out how I want to play again.

You might hate playing with artillery. I don't have the patience for calling in artillery to try and make stuff happen so I play tanks. I'm thinking about adding some mobile artillery to my tanks but then I think, why? Won't I just wind up driving them forward and going balls deep with them anyway?

That's my advice. let's play some 1500 or 1750 games with where your stuff is at now then let's fan out to 1900. Whaddaya figure?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:22 pm

That's exactly why I play my sextons over the 25 pdrs.

Aside question: do I really NEED infantry? Is there another way to hold objectives?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:42 pm

Alright, I'm gonna drop the 25 pdrs and beef up my tank platoons.  I had them that way before but I changed it in a moment of weakness after reading advice on the FOW forums.  I agree with Scott, artillery just doesn't appeal to me the way that tanks do.

If I don't have to buy the artillery it means once my order comes in I'll have 1900 points too! I can easily drop it down to 1500 to play you Scott, just drop a few snipers and an infantry platoon and it should be good. The airborne armoured Recce list doesn't seem to downsize very well though, I need every one of those 1900 points to get the list to do what I want.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:06 pm

So I'm getting my eyes lasered tomorrow, it's a re-do of the surgery I had done 2 years ago with a 1 week recovery time. I likely won't be on the forum until about this time next week or so and probably won't be doing much painting or gaming between now and then either.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Ou have fun Nathan! So this means you can shoot lasers now right?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Oh if he doesnt make it dibs on his stuff***

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:37 pm

Sorry Sean, everything goes to my kids... finally you'll have an opponent at your maturity level! Ooooo Burn! Laughing

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Your kids are 2?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:35 am

I approve the last two messages

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:08 pm

So I faced off against Scott's Americans this afternoon at the Den. I lost but I learned a lot and I had a great time. I had 4 6pdr guns in my list, they popped up in ambush and blasted 5 Stuart light tanks off the table in 1 barrage. It was pretty sweet. After that they fired away at some dismounted infantry that had been advancing behind the Stuarts, pinning them down every turn and eventually killing them all. That dealt with one of my flanks, unfortunately the other flank was where Scott's Sherman's were advancing. They made quick work of my reserves as they entered the table one unit at a time and my antitank guns were out of range and too far away to get in range in time to save the objective. I made some brave but foolish assault attempts before it was all over but it just wasn't enough and the plucky Brits were ground into the dirt by the damned Yankee tanks.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:40 pm

I painted up my objective markers tonight. One is done, the other just needs the guy painted:

Sorry, photos are bad. I also have 3 tetrarchs painted but I don't have any pictures of them yet.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:05 am

Great progress! I'm getting motivated...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:58 am

Kal wrote:Ok... Not wanting to point out the obvious here but he clearly cheated because... One does not simply walk into mordor
You are correct - I strolled in like I owned the place Wink

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 am

nathanr wrote:Here's a question for the more experienced FOW guys out there.  How accurate do my infantry teams need to be?  I'm running rifle/mg teams pretty exclusively which I understand are supposed to have 3-4 rifles and 1 LMG.  I've tried to stretch my infantry models about as far as they'll go which means I've got 4 guys to a team and most of them (but not all) have a LMG model.  Is this going to cause confusion?  Personally, I can't see it being a problem because I have to look very closely to see what kind of gun each model has but I know there are some people that are fanatical about this sort of thing..

My guess you are looking at the MG in your platoon. Which means every 2nd team has a MG and every 1st team does not = Rifle/MG
If you look at my Panzergrens each team is a MG so each team has a MG
If you look at a Finnish Rifle platoon they have no MG teams and every team is a Rifle team
nathanr wrote:
Another question, this one is maybe a bit more tactical.  My Tetrarch tanks (very light tank) have the option to equip Littlejohn adapters which increases their antitank rating to 9 (from 7) but reduces the firepower to 5+ (from 4+) and they also become "No HE" (can't use it against infantry).  Is this a useful tradeoff?  At first I thought so but Tetrarchs aren't meant to be hitting tanks on the front anyway so the increased AT could be somewhat pointless, especially with the reduction in firepower although it does give me more threats to Panzer MK IV's and Stugs which would otherwise largely ignore my AT7 Tetrarchs.
The Tetrachs in my honest opinion are not meant to engage enemy tanks - that is what your commandos or paratroopers are for. The Teterachs I would use to distract enemy armour by blasting away at German artillery or other support options that are making life tough for your infantry. If the enemy armour is distracted by hunting down your Tetrachs then they are doing their job.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:35 am

My guess you are looking at the MG in your platoon. Which means every 2nd team has a MG and every 1st team does not = Rifle/MG
If you look at my Panzergrens each team is a MG so each team has a MG
If you look at a Finnish Rifle platoon they have no MG teams and every team is a Rifle team

Ah, that explains why I didn't seem to have enough MG dudes. In that case I think I can go ahead and base and paint my infantry. Thanks!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:13 am

The Tetrachs in my honest opinion are not meant to engage enemy tanks - that is what your commandos or paratroopers are for.

Here's a question, how do I charge infantry into tanks without getting pinned by their machine guns? Or do I just dig in and wait for him to come to me?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

nathanr wrote:
Here's a question, how do I charge infantry into tanks without getting pinned by their machine guns?  Or do I just dig in and wait for him to come to me?
With proper planning - most people drive their tanks in a row = come from the side so that only a single tank can fire in defensive fire (the rest cannot fire through their friendlies.
Sounds easy -> but takes skill and planning (practice).
The common tactic is just wait and huddle in the foxholes until assaulted...not very fun.
Personally, I enjoy driving my 251's right up to where I want to go and hop out and assault myself. A lot easier to assault tanks too!
Another option is attack under the cover of darkness - British players can choose to do this and get a Spearhead move!
Yet, another tactic is "Sneaking up on tanks" works pretty much every time you make your tank terror test.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:20 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top