Nathan R's FOW Thread

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Hey guys, I'm starting this thread as a way to document my progress with Flames of War. I'll try to post battle reports, painting and terrain-building updates and other random things as I go.

I've got a game scheduled tonight with Lorne, one of the local FOW players. We've decided on 1400 points and I'll try to take some pictures of the game.

Anyway, not much of a first post but hopefully it'll grow to become a good thread.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nathan R's FOW Thread

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Good Luck! I like that Lorne dude, he's good peeps. I'ma star up my own thread too. Together we'll conquer the universe!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:09 am

Well, Lorne is still a nice guy but he beat the shit out of my British company tonight. We rolled for scenario and I got to be the defender in the "surrounded" scenario. Lorne had a ton of tanks and I did not. He quickly picked off my cromwells in one turn of shooting. That pretty much set the tone of the game as his panzer 4's simply drove up to the objective. My infantry couldn't have died more quickly if they had thrown themselves under the tank's tracks. I may need a few more anti-tank assets.

Lorne gave me a few pointers and suggested that I rethink my aversion to anti-tank and artillery gun teams. He pointed out that playing a mechanized company I'm going to end up defending roughly half the time so maneuverability isn't as important as being able to protect an objective.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:46 am

Isn't it interesting the kind of advice vet FoW players give? I played against Lance in Regina and the game, literally, lasted 10 minutes as he simply walked into Mordor and grabbed the objective while I played 'smash army'. It was still fun, which was the weird part and the advice he gave made me change my list, or at least play with my lists strengths and weaknesses.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:08 am

Ok... Not wanting to point out the obvious here but he clearly cheated because... One does not simply walk into mordor

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:53 am

Well in the case of our game he wasn't walking, he drove many panzer IV's and I wouldn't call my defense mordor, it was more like the pacifist kingdom of wimpville.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 am

The beauty of the Objective based gameplay in FoW is that it really rewards cohesive army building and planning. In the warhammer we're all used to it's whoever kills most wins. In FoW I really enjoy how LITTLE impact on the scoreboard the player who runs around just trying to kill stuff really gets.

It's a great game system. I can't believe people are still copying the Warhammer/40k style of game and not ripping off what FoW has accomplished with their system. Especially seeing as most of the core mechanics are straight outta GW from back inna day.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:12 am

One of the only game systems I know of where I can have as much fun loosing as winning.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 pm

I agree Carson, I had a great game despite getting schooled and the "what if" conversation afterwards was really good too.

I spent a good amount of the day today going through what I have and what I still need/want. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually have pretty much 2 full 1900 point armies.

British Airborne Armoured Recce:

Company HQ - 1IC Tetrarch CS, 2IC Tetrarch CS, Tetrarch CS

3 Cromwells
3 Cromwells
3 Tetrarchs, 2 with littlejohn adapters

Airborne Assault Platoon - 4 motorcycle pioneer rifle teams and a command universal carrier with 2 hull mgs
Airlanding anti-tank platoon - 2 6pdrs and command rifle team
Airlanding Platoon - command rifle/mg team, PIAT team, Light Mortar team, 5 rifle/mg teams
Airlanding Platoon - command rifle/mg team, PIAT team, Light Mortar team, 5 rifle/mg teams

Priority Air Support - Typhoon

All rated as Fearless Veteran and the infantry have tank assault 3

Canadian Rifle Company:

Company HQ - 1IC rifle team, 2IC rifle team, 3 sniper teams
CSM Stan Hollis, VC

Rifle Platoon - Command rifle/mg team, PIAT, light mortar, 6 rifle/mg teams, 2 defrocked priests
Rifle Platoon - Command rifle/mg team, PIAT, light mortar, 6 rifle/mg teams, 2 defrocked priests
Rifle Platoon - Command rifle/mg team, PIAT, light mortar, 4 rifle/mg teams, 2 defrocked priests
Carrier Platoon - 3 universal carriers with .50 cal mg, 3 wasp flamethrower carriers
Machine Gun Platoon - 4 Vickers HMG and command rifle team
Armoured Platoon - 3 Shermans and 1 Firefly
Armoured Platoon - 3 Shermans and 1 Firefly
Anti-Tank Platoon (SP) - 4 M10C 17pdr SP

To finish off these two lists I need:
2x - 6pdr anti-tank teams
1x - tetrarch
1x - Armoured Platoon
2x - M10C 17pdr SP
3x - command rifle teams
4x - rifle teams for my dismounted motorcycle teams.

If anyone has any of these models kicking around I'd be interested in them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 pm

I have 2 6pdrs and a Tetrarch for ya.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 am

Carson wrote:One of the only game systems I know of where I can have as much fun loosing as winning.

Hijacking threads with borderline OT posts seems to be a pass-time of mine, but I'm going with "you opened the door" with the above comment....  Wink

Has anyone else heard of Crossfire?  It's a WW2 miniatures game with no "turns" and no measuring.  It seems fascinating to me.

***wildly rambling paragraph follows, ignore if you wish, read at you own risk***
I have a pile of ~25mm "army men" from a dollar store that I bought many years ago and have been on the lookout for a game-system for them on and off ever since.  My last round of searching is what eventually led me to consider FoW and then see that you all are getting into it and then the army men were abandoned in favor of Open Fire! and now I'm facing down the pending bill for a German army, several FoW books, and probably Scott's Russians too Smile.  That's how 8 budget conscious dollars at a dollar store usually work out for me...
***end wildly rambling paragraph***

Anyways, you HAVE to check this out.  Half the reason I convinced myself to take the plunge on FoW is that the mini's would be perfect for Crossfire, should I have the chance to ever play it:

http://youtu.be/RO81x71xaqk  (<-huge bonus, this vid courtesy of a plucky Brit)

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8066

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 am

epengr, you sound dangerously frugal.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 am

that video made Crossfire sound like a good game, or at least the guy in the video seemed to like it. I'll focus on learning Flames of War for now though.

Squalie wrote:I have 2 6pdrs and a Tetrarch for ya.

Thanks Don, how much? The 6pdrs come with a command team right? You don't happen to have 3 extra shermans and a firefly too do you Very Happy ?

I had a thought. I've got some extra motorcycles with sidecars, could I put one of those on a small base with 3 dudes on it and have that count as my 1ic and 2ic rifle teams? It would help the company command teams stand out a bit and no Allied motorcycle with sidecar teams exist in late war so it couldn't really be confused with anything either. If that would work, I just need 2 small bases then.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:18 pm

I actually might have an extra firefly. I'll check tonight.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:40 pm

nathanr wrote:that video made Crossfire sound like a good game, or at least the guy in the video seemed to like it.  I'll focus on learning Flames of War for now though.

Squalie wrote:I have 2 6pdrs and a Tetrarch for ya.

Thanks Don, how much?  The 6pdrs come with a command team right?  You don't happen to have 3 extra shermans and a firefly too do you Very Happy ?

I had a thought. I've got some extra motorcycles with sidecars, could I put one of those on a small base with 3 dudes on it and have that count as my 1ic and 2ic rifle teams?  It would help the company command teams stand out a bit and no Allied motorcycle with sidecar teams exist in late war so it couldn't really be confused with anything either.  If that would work, I just need 2 small bases then.

I hate the idea Nathan. I don't know your list so if I look at a motorcycle team and plan around it's extra mobility only to find out it's a standard infantry and that it's not possible for it to be a motorcycle later, I don't like it. I get the green stuff turrets on the Tetrach as you can't get the mini's just yet so I'd let that slide.

I hate the idea. Super hate it. Are the guys mounted on the bike? If it's just an empty bike on the base for decoration that's different. That might help differentiate your command teams from other small bases but if it's just dudes on the bike I hate it.

But I am just one dude and it's hardly like I'm going to be taking point and running events or anything so take it for what it's worth. But seriously don't do it. Use them as objective markers or something!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:54 am

Yep I hear you Scott and Lorne said about the same thing although he was a bit more diplomatic about it Very Happy .

I can see where the confusion would come from and I don't want to be that guy. I'll find some infantry models somewhere and do it right. I've ordered most of the stuff that I needed now (other than the Tetrarch, 6pdrs and firefly, I'm counting on you to come through Don!) and I should be fully armed and operational in 6-10 business days! Then it's just the long process of painting.

And on that note:

Boom! First platoon done! 3 Fearless Veteran Cromwells ready to kill some Huns.

Next up I'm going to paint 3 Tetrarchs, I'm setting a March 31 deadline for them, we'll see if I can do it!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:46 pm

Recipe for tanks? They look good but might be more American green than British green. Sigh - just trying to sound like a FoW player. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:16 pm

The colours used are Russian uniform (the recommended colour for British vehicles) washed with a mixture of Devlan mud and black. Edge highlights and drybrushed with grey green, then Ulthuan grey in some areas.

What should I do to make it more British and less American?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Nothin'. Green is green. American Green is usually a brown violet - looks like a real olivey green anyway. I likey, keep on rockin' in the free world.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:40 pm

Tell Scott to pipe down.  Actually, that's the exact colours you should use - just looks dark.  Must be the pictures then.

Green, is definitely NOT green, and the resident painter should know better.  If there's one thing in FoW that starts a hundred threads is the exact colour of tanks.  Not saying I agree...just sayin.

Last edited by squalie on Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 pm

My washes might be a bit heavy. From what I read, the American and British colours were the same from the factories but the different formulas faded differently resulting in the different shades that we war gamers are attempting to replicate.

I'll try hitting the next batch with a second coat of Russian uniform after the wash and see how that looks.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:56 pm

I figure they look good, I'm especially impressed with the decals. they actually look like paint and not a shiny stick on. good work.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:06 pm

Actually, I meant to mention about that also. Really like the weathered look on the decals.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:28 pm

squalie wrote:Actually, I meant to mention about that also. Really like the weathered look on the decals.

The weather effect you get from heavy washes!

Like all things Nathan I'd for sure wait until people can hold them in the hand and check out the work. Don is right about green but don't tell him I said. I think they look good, how was the speed on getting them done? Did you pick up any of that decal solution from that hard to find hobby place in town?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I didn't get any decal solution, it's still on the list of stuff I need.  The speed was ok, I might have rushed them a bit actually and I may go back at some point and do some touch ups.

They aren't really inspiring models to paint but the end result is satisfying.  I find that I'm really excited to get these done but I'm not really excited to do the painting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top