Flames of War Platoon Challenge!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Flames of War Platoon Challenge!

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Okey Dokey, I am going to start doing something to promote some FoW army building. Everyone should feel free to join in and I'll just outline what it is I am going to do.

Each month I am going to paint up a legal FoW Platoon. The deadline for my first entry will be the end of March, so I am going to give myself a little extra time. By platoon I mean any force organization entry. Painting a single plane will be one of my "break" monthly entries I have already decided to save for golf season when I paint less. I am not going to restrict myself as I plan on switching between finishing up the next step of my LW Americans and starting a German panzerkompanie. Likely Panthers so I can get a low model count army table ready.

Here's what I am going to do to make it interesting. My vow in front of God and man is that if I miss a month I will put $50 cash bucks in the hands of Ryan Glover. My Reward if I finish my Monthly goal is that I can spend $50 on new FoW mini's. I will only use painting goal money to buy new FoW mini's. This is important as I don't think I have much in the way that would work for late war Germans on the wall downstairs.

Also I can't find my fuckin' rulebook which is a pain in the ass. I wanted to point out my Americans and see where I can go.

My first step will be the command squad entry for My American mechanized infantry company. I have the blister hanging on the wall but I need to go look up how the stands get built nowadays.

Where the fuck did I put my rulebooks...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flames of War Platoon Challenge!

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:08 pm

I'm in! I've got 12 or so months with your criteria so I'm not short on stuff to paint.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:24 pm

I'm totally in and this is less daunting than a Warhammer unit. Most of my stuff is already primed and this is the push I need.

Maybe the first $50 goes towards army books? Very Happy I have the Overlord (new Brits and Yanks) book I would sell as I pretty much just use easy army.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I am NOT short on stuff to paint. I have 3k or so of soviet tanks and another 3k of soviet infantry. I have enough to flesh my Finn's to 3k, 3 boxes of American Shermans plus another couple armored rifle platoon boxes etc...

It's just not the exact stuff I feel I want to paint right NOW Don. You know how it is.

I plan on putting a real good effort into my stuff. I'm gonna work on my Americans because it's all stuff I am pretty familiar with. I use the brown violet paint (the greeny brown armour colour they use) on just about every mini I paint plus the lack of Camo makes it an easy all brush project. For the German stuff I will be using the airbrush and oil paints and I expect to spend a heavy amount of hours on each piece. So best to get a playable American force together first.

What points total do you guys play? 1500?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

This year late war points have been set at 1900.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:24 pm

That was the official tourney thingy I saw. What a goofy point total. Not sure why they change it up. Has it ever gone down in points? I think it'd be kinda neat to go up and down by a bunch to make sure you don't see the same stock armies at events. Is that their deal?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:23 am

Much the same as people generally playing 2500 for Warhammer, these are the points for FoW.

Early-war
1390 points

Mid-war
1710 points

Late-war
1900 points

There was a lot of head scratching over these point limits, especially early war. Now, I'm only going off what I read on the Flames sites as I don't have enough history with the game to really have an opinion. I was making 1750 lists when I started and then was told by the group in Regina to make 1900 point lists - which I was happy about as I got to bring more toys....but so does the other fella.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 am

I'm in for sure. I'll be working on both Germans and Canadians/British

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:40 pm

I have a question. How big of nazis are people when it comes to painting FOW figs? I dont care much about being 100% spot on, but is just doing a standard army green on any army frowned apon ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:23 pm

There seems to be more authenticity expected in this game because everything you're looking at is real.. People know exactly what these look like in real life and can get pretty discerning, unlike Warhammer where no one really knows what colour a Daemon is.

Having said that if it's pretty obvious painting is not your thing, no one seems to hold it against you. It's only if you really try to they start to pick on you. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:27 pm

I dunno man, I'll buck the trend and say I expect at least some historical colours on the mini's. As Don said there is an expectation on this stuff because it represents actual stuff.

Visually the biggest difference between armies is the paint job. at 15mm infantry at 3+ feet away looks pretty samey if it were all to be painted army man green.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:41 pm

The different factions have different colors but on a 15mm infantry guy you're not expected to paint a masterpiece. Americans, British and Russians each have their own variation of green and brown while the Germans are mostly grey and Italians are tan I think. If you're close you'll be ok

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:31 am

ScottRadom wrote:That was the official tourney thingy I saw.  What a goofy point total.  Not sure why they change it up.  Has it ever gone down in points?  I think it'd be kinda neat to go up and down by a bunch to make sure you don't see the same stock armies at events.  Is that their deal?
Yes, every year it switches - forcing players change up their lists. I really like it - it keeps everything fresh.
The year I started LW was 1750, then it became 1780, last year it was 1650, and now this year it is 1900.
Last year EW was 1550 - this year it is 1390.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:53 am

nathanr wrote:The different factions have different colors but on a 15mm infantry guy you're not expected to paint a masterpiece.  Americans, British and Russians each have their own variation of green and brown while the Germans are mostly grey and Italians are tan I think.  If you're close you'll be ok
Ummmm....not quite sure what to say to reply to this. I have looked at masterpieces of infantry at this scale:
maps on tables
epaulette colours
rank pips and chevrons
If you are looking for colours and how to paint the uniforms you can find a colour key as well as an example of the infantry in the back of each list book. As for close is good enough yes you will be okay but the colours are what makes the miniature from across the table.
That being said I have seen pink painted Panthers - and yes they look impressive but you know that player is going to be teased by someone.
On a personal note the only thing I really care about is that my opponent and I can tell which platoon he is moving/shooting/making a morale check with. I have seen small dots on the base, large dots on the base, writing on the base, and colour coded bases (my favorite and what I do). As I have watched platoons grow in a moment of confusion - mine & my opponents.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:08 am

Ummmm....not quite sure what to say to reply to this. I have looked at masterpieces of infantry at this scale:
maps on tables
epaulette colours
rank pips and chevrons
If you are looking for colours and how to paint the uniforms you can find a colour key as well as an example of the infantry in the back of each list book. As for close is good enough yes you will be okay but the colours are what makes the miniature from across the table.
That being said I have seen pink painted Panthers - and yes they look impressive but you know that player is going to be teased by someone.
On a personal note the only thing I really care about is that my opponent and I can tell which platoon he is moving/shooting/making a morale check with. I have seen small dots on the base, large dots on the base, writing on the base, and colour coded bases (my favorite and what I do). As I have watched platoons grow in a moment of confusion - mine & my opponents.

Oh for sure there are amazingly painted models out there and I would encourage everyone to put as much care and effort into their painting as they can. I would say though that the masterpieces are the exception rather than the rule. Nobody expects you to paint the rank pips and chevrons, if you have that ability then go for it, those are the armies that win painting awards.

Good point about the platoon markings. I'll have to think about how I plan to do that in my company.

How's everyone doing on the painting challenge? I've got 3 Cromwells, 3 Tetrarchs and my objective markers painted for March and I'll be working on 3 more Cromwells, 3 more Tetrarchs and a captured German halftrack for April. After that I'll start in on my infantry.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:39 pm

nathanr wrote:

Good point about the platoon markings.  I'll have to think about how I plan to do that in my company.
We do:
1IC as gold base
2IC as a silver base
and whatever you want to ensure there is a difference

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:04 pm

I don't like visibly painting the bases different colours but it seems to make the most sense game play wise. I've done up my Armored Rifle HQ with white flowers on the base to separate them visually from the regular platoon command models. And I put some graffiti on the halftrack to help it be recognizable. I don't know why the different base colours rub me wrong, it just kinda does. I think it stems from being sorta born and raised a GW guy and believing the glowing power of WYSIWYG should reign supreme. In Warhammer if you have to ask which mini is my general or who is my BsB I've done a poor, poor job of making them stand out and look awesome. At 15mm scale no matter how impressive your brush work can be it's pretty tough to make your infantry command teams differ. The Platoon command stands vs. the CHQ stands are usually the exact same mini's, so painting alone can be tough to distinguish them.

For example my Company Commander has his double bars of a captain painted on his helmet and the 2iC is clear with his single bar as the 1st Lt. But at three feet away in game store lighting is it apparent enough? Hmm.

Anyway for the painting platoon challenge I am done my Armored rifle HQ with transport and infantry stands. I'm happy enough with them, I just need to get more pic's. No money for Ryan Glover this month!!!!

My next step for the month of april is to get the dismounted MG stands done up so I can yard them shit's off the halftracks and rain lead on you fools.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:15 am

ScottRadom wrote:I don't like visibly painting the bases different colours but it seems to make the most sense game play wise.
Just the edges of the base = kind of a highlight. Plus if you don't you can/will lose them on the table. Literally they will disappear on you.
ScottRadom wrote:
 I've done up my Armored Rifle HQ with white flowers on the base to separate them visually from the regular platoon command models.  And I put some graffiti on the halftrack to help it be recognizable.  I don't know why the different base colours rub me wrong, it just kinda does.  I think it stems from being sorta born and raised a GW guy and believing the glowing power of WYSIWYG should reign supreme.  In Warhammer if you have to ask which mini is my general or who is my BsB I've done a poor, poor job of making them stand out and look awesome.  At 15mm scale no matter how impressive your brush work can be it's pretty tough to make your infantry command teams differ.  The Platoon command stands vs. the CHQ stands are usually the exact same mini's, so painting alone can be tough to distinguish them.
The command teams are on a small base but in the real world generals/captains/majors (higher command) don't want to be singled out by snipers and killed. So, again - yeah, the base thing is the best. Levi my son who plays Soviets has two command teams per company and three for his battalion commanders - you as his opponent will immediately recognize who is who without going into this guy is this guy &....
ScottRadom wrote:
For example my Company Commander has his double bars of a captain painted on his helmet and the 2iC is clear with his single bar as the 1st Lt.  But at three feet away in game store lighting is it apparent enough?  Hmm.
Also, in the heat of a fast paced game sometimes you grab the wrong one...plus the 1IC gives special abilities and losing him is not so good...

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:38 am

How's the progress on this Scott (and anyone else who might be participating)?

For April I finished my Recce platoon as well as my Typhoon and my company command platoon. I may also finish my 6 pdrs before the month is up. At this rate I'm going to be out of stuff to paint before the 6 month deadline!

Painted:
Company HQ - 3 tetrarchs & captured German halftrack
3 Cromwells
3 Tetrarchs
Motorcycle Recce Platoon
Typhoon
Objective Markers
Destroyed Tank Markers
Smoke Markers

To be painted:
3 Cromwells
6pdr platoon (4 guns, company command, 4 jeeps)
2 Airlanding Platoons (10 rifle/mg teams, 2 light mortar teams, 2 PIAT teams, 2 command teams)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:19 am

Finished my March goal of a CHQ for an Armored Rifle Company.

Progress has stalled as I want to play more games to direct what I paint next. I am leaning towards Sherman 105's but a second platoon of Stuarts would be slick too. And now it's golf season as well I have decided to stretch my legs in the display painting area. My camera set up is down while I wait for new light bulbs but I'll post pics once they arrive.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:05 pm

So does that mean Ryan will be getting $50 for April? Or are you cancelling the bet?

I just finished up 3 more Cromwells today so all my tanks are painted! In fact, if I keep the pace I'm on, I might have my company painted by May. I still plan to make and paint some dug in markers and hopefully by June I'll have some German armour to work on so I should still have at least 4 months worth of stuff left.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:29 am

nathanr wrote:  I still plan to make and paint some dug in markers
They sell tokens for that but personally made ones will be pretty cool.

|marauder|

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top