Sean's Tomb King Army

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean's Tomb King Army

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:25 pm

Going to be posting updates of my Tomb Kings here, wish i had taken a picture of the state of the skele's in the begging but im sure Justin and Don can confirm that lol. I for some reason really enjoy painting skeletons still, the building part wasn't SUPER fun but i think this might be my first fully painted army (just in time for 9th to make everything obsolete yay!)

So yeah guess my intro goes here.... Once upon a time there was sand and dead guys with weird hats... The End?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean's Tomb King Army

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:26 pm

Tada 10 Skeleton Archers,

[img][/img]

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:44 am

So working on a Liche Priest atm, and i love this fig so i wana do it justice, he is turning out ok tbh (pics soon) but i can't seem to get the skin right and i rly wana make the skin look like this. I thought i had a good idea Ulthuan Grey and Nuln Oil wash, highlight in same and repeat wash. but my girlfriend took one look at the fig and said it looks like he rolled around in soot... so yea not turning out right. Master Painters out there how do i do?

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Tomb-Kings-Liche-Priest;jsessionid=38935714FC91BD03698E222ED9C8F104?_requestid=2555908

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:12 am

Base with white,black wash higlight with white mixed with grey? ? Oh you were asking master painters Smile

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

can you post a pic of what you have?

I'd start with a medium grey, wash with purple, then a lighter wash of black and then go back and very carefully highlight with very light grey and then just touch the highest parts with white. Take a very careful look at your example picture, the areas that are dark and light there are what you're going for.

That said, I talk a big game but I find it incredibly difficult to paint faces.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:07 pm

To me, it looks like a simple base grey and a white drybrush or painted highlight. Keep it simple.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:10 am

Here is what I got so far

[img][/img]

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:54 am

That pic doesn't expand well, but it looks good. Pool some black in the eye sockets and put a tiny dot on there, green, white, whatever...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:16 am

I like it too, if you want the smoother effect that the Eavy Metal guys did on the face you need to use thinner paint.  The problem with using thinner paint is that if you use too much on your brush it'll work like a wash.  A tiny amount on your brush of watered down pure white on just the highest points on the brow, temples, cheekbones will make the face pop.  Do it after you do what Don said with the eyes.  Paint the teeth white too.

Or leave it as-is for now and bring it along to Don's and get the finishing tips in person.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks guys Very Happy when i get home tonight im going to have a look at it again with your guys tips and if i think i can handle it ill try again and repost pics, if not then i will wait for the games weekend to bring it in Very Happy . I wana get it right because im going to be painting up High Queen Khalida as a High Liche Priest later and i wana make sure i get it right first lol.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:38 pm

I can understand that. The Khalida model is really cool.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:17 pm

that's looking pretty good Sean.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:43 pm

Thinner paint, controlling the amount on the brush, and brush control. Those are the 3 easy to learn secrets to painting killer mini's. Easy to learn how to do it then it just takes practice. Lucky as a warhammer player you have a ton of mini's to practice on!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

The "brush control" is the toughest one. You can have the perfect amount of perfectly diluted paint and it'll still look like crap if you can't control your brush.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Brush control is definitely one of the hardest parts.

So new question. What would be a good primary metal colour for Tomb Kings? like the colour I want the blades of their weapons and the majority of the helms and armor to be? I was thinking Sycorax Bronze for the main and Hashut Copper for the detail trim on the "base" guys and the "elite" guys like Tomb Guard would be detailed in Gehenna's Gold? What do you think? and if so what would I use to wash these? Nuln Oil, Seraphim Sepia or something redder like Carroburg Crimson so it looks more burnt or impure

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:30 pm

You don't have to choose one colour and one wash. Do them all, some, whatever. Thinning down some GW washes and apply them thinly will just slightly tint the colour instead of applying a lot of the colour as a wash that runs everywhere. Play around some.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:07 pm

I really like agrax earthshade for shading gold but I've seen lots of different shades used to get different effects. I agree with Scott's advice. Grab a few test models and experiment.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 am

So lately it seems like ive been trying to edge in on Don's King of the Tomb Kings Title... but i honestly am REALLY enjoying them, the way they look, the way they play, they way they hold me tightly and ever so rightly... ok maybe they dont but STILL loving them.

ON THAT note. Sean Horde O Bits some more Skeleton Torso's and Legs i got 32 of them for like 20$ i mean not great but not terrible! So going to make 20 more Archers and 12 more HW+S with the TK square shields. Also since i just bought a NiB Sphinx and made the Necrosphinx. That box gives you the head and everything you need for BOTH Sphinx's other then the body and legs and tail... so for like less than 20$ again Sean is building himself a THIRD SPHINX!!! and i can fit 2 battle sphinx's and 1 necro sphinx in a list... Super pumped ... I couldnt get a tail so one sphinx is going to have a stubby one Wink

Anyways was super excited for all this and needed to ramble, so for like 100$ i got 2 sphinx's and 32 more skeles. Anyways this last weekend has definitely kicked my modeling into overdrive!!!

Now... Paint... my army is kind of dry dusty bone... should i make the Sphinx a cool dark marble colour or try something more like white / brown stone? If so what colours would i use... Zandari Dust?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:14 am

Post pictures!

What other colours are you using for your army? Dry dusty bone is all well and good but you could go anywhere with that. Lots of gold? Reds go well with gold. More silver? blues. How is Don's sphinx painted? Don't do that, try something different.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:58 am

No pictures yet Wink the Necrosphinx is just black primer atm and the 3rd Sphinx is in the mail still. But pics will be comming soon, depending on if i wana tackle chariots or Sphinx's to paint next.

My armies "theme" colours are Sotek Green and Mephiston Red (i cant spell deal with it)

As for metals im sticking with mostly Copper and Bronze as thats what the egyptians had access too. and SOMETIMES gold and silver for more ornate jewels.

I like hows Dons is painted, i think it works for the Necrosphinx to be all DARK and DARK golds like Ghennias gold (again i cant spell deal with it) and maybe a dark purpley blue for the body colour?

Altho in my mind right now im leaning towards a dry statue looking thing, like the ACTUAL Sphinx in Giza right now u know? like make it look like OLD stone that just woke up. Might even break the nose off Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:00 am

OK OK, what about a dark green/blue/purple body and silver for the Necrosphinx to make it look more like DEATH

and whites and bleached bone / stone colours for the Battle sphinx as its not part of the cult of undead its part of the standing army from the TK...

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 am

I like the white marble look of this sphynx:

I was also thinking that a red sandstone body could look cool. Like this:

http://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/3871088/368872376/stock-photo-red-sandstone-buttes-colorful-sandstone-buttes-at-the-wave-a-dramatic-and-colorful-erosional-368872376.jpg

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:36 am

OH WOW! holy cow that white guy looks like a towering statue of marble... i quite like it! but doesnt really fit in with my army... looks to pristine...

Hrm ... red sand stone could work...a big Blood Red Rock Sphinx with gold banding ... I like the way your thinking... plus even the Sotek Green would look good as an accent colour on that ... i wonder if i should do a test fig first or just dive in on a Sphinx.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:56 am

You can always paint over it if you don't like it...

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 pm

Aye tis tru.

Well i got a game against Brian's Lizards tonight but tomorrow back to painting while i study with EXCITING tutorial Videos!!!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top