Flames of War!

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Flames of War!

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:11 am

Here's my growing terrain collection.  I was a bit disappointed to find that I could only cover about a 2'x4' area.  I'll have to get back on the bocage-building train.  I hope to get some buildings still, that'll take up some more space and a road or two will also help.

These are all at different stages of completion, I still need to do a wash on most of these and get some static grass to break up all the brown.  The river sections need some more foliage as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:47 pm

That's looking sweet Nathan. It takes a hell uv a lot of terrain to fill up a FOW table. Did you place an order for buildings from your previous link? I'm interested to see how they are.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:38 pm

I haven't ordered anything yet, I'm thinking I'll order some stuff in the next little bit though, I've heard lots of good things about them. I bought some quick shade to give the brown some definition, it looks good but it stinks!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:22 pm

Greetings all!

Remember me? (No is a reasonable answer - My last post was 4 years ago)

I was too busy with school/work to keep up with the WH, now I'm too busy with just work to start a new hobby, but screw it, I'm going to anyways.

I've been eyeing FoW for over a year now on and off, and while googling around I stumbled on this thread. If there interest in the game building here that pretty much seals the deal for me. I think I'm gonna have to take the plunge and rejoin your illustrious ranks.

Suddenly very excited about this!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:50 pm

You bugger, we literally just ordered some movement trays. Where were you when we needed you?!

Anyways, glad you're looking at FoW. Still going to play warhammer?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:54 pm

squalie wrote:You bugger, we literally just ordered some movement trays.  Where were you when we needed you?!

Anyways, glad you're looking at FoW.  Still going to play warhammer?

Ah, my supply of cheap rare-earth magnets dried up anyways, so I wouldn't have been much use to you.

I do have a pile of mostly unpainted dwarfs that may eventually see the light of day, but I'm really excited about FoW ATM...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I picked up Open Fire! Friday and have been browsing and thinking (and fiddling).   I think I'm going to start with a German force and then possibly Russians(? - anyone interested in Eastern Front?).  Although Open Fire(!) makes Brits/americans tempting too...

Before I pick up Earth & Steel, it is late war that you're all focusing on?

Might have some interesting pics soon...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:17 pm

If you want to do Russians I have plenty of stuff up for sale trades. Most NIB. I started Russians but it's just too big a project for me to be able to work on. Lemme know!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:00 am

ScottRadom wrote:If you want to do Russians I have plenty of stuff up for sale trades.  Most NIB.  I started Russians but it's just too big a project for me to be able to work on.  Lemme know!

Trades?  What are you looking for? Do you have a list?  I don't see anything in the sell/trade section.  Are you a motivated seller?  I may not be able to play the "poor student" card any more, but I'm still rather cheap  Wink.

Any BT-7's?  I'm absolutely in love with driving that tank in World of Tanks, although I don't even know if they were contenders in the later part of the war.  

I'm definitely maybe interested. Definitely.  Maybe...

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:33 am

People are generally playing late war, but it's all up to you and your opponent. I think the BT-7 is early war? If you're playing Germans, then Atlantik Wall is the book you're looking for, Market Garden for Brits and Red Bear for Russians.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:04 pm

squalie wrote:People are generally playing late war, but it's all up to you and your opponent. If you're playing Germans, then Atlantik Wall is the book you're looking for, Market Garden for Brits and Red Bear for Russians.

Thanks!

Atlantik Wall replaces Earth and Steel then?  I see now that Earth and Steel is out of print. The information in my brand new Open Fire! is already out of date...  Figuring out what the different kinds of books are and why you'd want them is not trivial.  The FoW web site is not very helpful in that regard.

And Atlantik Wall isn't even on BGG yet!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:06 pm

squalie wrote:I think the BT-7 is early war?

I know it was in use right up until 1945 against the Japanese, but I expect that it would have been crushed like a tin can by a Tiger.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm

If you want east front Germans don't get Atlantik Wall. There's another one, Grey Wolf I think. I got it kicking around here somewhere but it's got all the Axis forces from east front. There are some differences for sure but the core nuts and bolts for a German army is really the same for most lists I feel. I'll get around to posting what I've got up for grabs for Russians but it's mostly tanks. A couple blisters of Kv-1's, a box of T-34 76's, a box of t34 85mm, a box of su-85/100 and a bunch of mostly painted IS-2's. Maybe 8 or so of them. If that sounds up your alley lemme know.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:09 pm

ScottRadom wrote:If you want east front Germans don't get Atlantik Wall.  There's another one, Grey Wolf I think.  I got it kicking around here somewhere but it's got all the Axis forces from east front.  There are some differences for sure but the core nuts and bolts for a German army is really the same for most lists I feel.  I'll get around to posting what I've got up for grabs for Russians but it's mostly tanks.  A couple blisters of Kv-1's, a box of T-34 76's, a box of t34 85mm, a box of su-85/100 and a bunch of mostly painted IS-2's.  Maybe 8 or so of them.  If that sounds up your alley lemme know.

The T-34's are the ones used in all three periods of the game right? if so i will take them off your hands.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 pm

Kuyp wrote:
ScottRadom wrote:If you want east front Germans don't get Atlantik Wall.  There's another one, Grey Wolf I think.  I got it kicking around here somewhere but it's got all the Axis forces from east front.  There are some differences for sure but the core nuts and bolts for a German army is really the same for most lists I feel.  I'll get around to posting what I've got up for grabs for Russians but it's mostly tanks.  A couple blisters of Kv-1's, a box of T-34 76's, a box of t34 85mm, a box of su-85/100 and a bunch of mostly painted IS-2's.  Maybe 8 or so of them.  If that sounds up your alley lemme know.

The T-34's are the ones used in all three periods of the game right? if so i will take them off your hands.  

I gotta let epengr have first dibs, there are several versions of the T-34 but I don't think any of them were early. Just mid and late. Not that many people have any interest in early. I'll get a thread up and running in the for sale section.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 pm

ScottRadom wrote:

I gotta let epengr have first dibs...

Appreciate it, definitely interesting! Off to the buy/sell forum right now!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Ok, looking at some tank figs in person i notice that the turrets falling off tanks is SOOOO annoying, im assuming the turrets have to rotate and cant be stationary. Soo since we cant make them stay with glue is that what the earth magnets in the kits are for? If so if u glue one to the tank and one to the turret it makes a bit of an ugly gap? Im i just rly bad at this or?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:55 pm

Yah that's what the magnets are for making it so they stick on and rotate. The reason being your turret can face a different way than your tank and it could give you a chance at a better save.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Kal wrote: If so if u glue one to the tank and one to the turret it makes a bit of an ugly gap? Im i just rly bad at this or?

There's no gap with the magnets installed in my plastic Shermans (from the open fire box)... The magnets don't actually have to touch to hold the turret nicely, these seem to sit plastic on plastic.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:24 am

Interesting, good to know. I rly should learn the rules to this game. Thx guys gonna have another look tonight. Don may OR maynot have me convinced me to start up a Russian Tank Army (all marked Khorne obvi). So just wana let you all know its Dons fault u have to put up with me in Warhammer and now yet again its his fault ure stuck wih me in FoW (i dont think he likes u guys just saying lol)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:49 am

GeoffKlassen wrote:Yah that's what the magnets are for making it so they stick on and rotate.  The reason being your turret can face a different way than your tank and it could give you a chance at a better save.
Sort of it also allows you to fire your turret in a different direction without changing your ROF and it also allows for defensive fire from infantry arriving from the rear of your tank.

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am

I do have to say i agree With Marauder when he said Flames Of War made him feel smarter. It kind of does for me too, when u can say oh this tank was never used during the same years as this tank and couldnt even touch this tanks frontal armor etc. is wayy smarter sounding than no way could your 10 Elf Spearmen would ever beat my magic dragon in a fair fight... Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  |marauder| on Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Thanks Kal!

|marauder|

View user profile http://facebook.com/groups/fowreginarifles

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:04 pm

Kal wrote:I do have to say i agree With Marauder when he said Flames Of War made him feel smarter. It kind of does for me too, when u can say oh this tank was never used during the same years as this tank and couldnt even touch this tanks frontal armor etc. is wayy smarter sounding than no way could your 10 Elf Spearmen would ever beat my magic dragon in a fair fight... Very Happy

You know the next step to feeling smarter? Grammar and Spelling.

You can do it!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:07 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Grammar and Spelling.
^Sentence Fragment^

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down