Flames of War!

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Flames of War!

Post  Kal on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Im seeing that Russians could be very fun ... mmm so many tanks... Downside to Russians is? Would having to buy way more Russian Tanks be more expensive and harder or easier to learn the game? Tanks can take objectives right?

I really need to just watch a game i think lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:54 am

Fury Movie Spoiler

[hide ]So has anyone seen that new movie Fury? This totally got me all pumped to try Flames of War. Watching that one German Tiger tank destroying those 3/4 of the American Sherman tanks while shells just bounced off of it! So many cools, ive been looking up stuff about WW2 tanks ever since i watched that movie. Read about ONE Char B1 French Tank getting ambushed by 13 German Panzer III/IV's and getting hit 140 times and destroying every single German tank!! Wth unfair! There were so many different versions of tanks with their own different flaws or weaknesses, silly things that i wouldn't have thought. Like you could have a badass armored killing machine but if it had to bad of gas millage or was to hard to repair or maintain in the field it got scrapped or less used. Hell was reading about M3 Grant and Lee tanks and how Russians nicknamed them "A Grave For 6 Men" but it was all the british had so they just shoved 75mm guns to it and fought Germans. Sorry this is just awesome... I kinda wana rock some Flames Of War now, all tank company! Not Russians, Ruskie tanks are ugly  [/hide ]

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:51 am

I may have something for you....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:04 am

There's a book, Bridge at Ramegan, that has some pretty cool American tanks in it. The Chaffee light tank has the same gun as a sherman making it a pretty deadly light tank. The Americans also get access to the Pershing tank which is roughly in the same league as German Panthers. The stock shermans get some upgrade options as well with .50 cal machine guns and improvised armour. If you're interested in an American force that is.

For Germans the same book has lots of fun toys too. All the big tanks. Unfortunately, at the time period of that book the Germans are fighting an obviously losing battle. I'd feel weird playing as the Germans with one of those lists because you already know what's going to happen regardless of the outcome of that battle. Everyone likes the underdog except when they're the Nazis.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:36 am

squalie wrote:I may have something for you....

Oh REALLY Wink and what might that be? Im in whatever it is lol

I understand what you mean about the Germans Nathan, Hard to wana fight if you know your skrewed. Are the Shermans decient? cuz idk the Tiger was effectivly destroying them with its 88mm gun in one shot each, boom, boom, boom 3 dead Shermans. The Chaffee sounds fun, weee boom boom weee! Are there tanks in FoW that other tanks just CANT beat?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:52 am

Tigers, King tigers, and 1 or 2 big Russian tanks, but everything is killable.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 am

Ok, what army are those for? I believe im in Razz what are the "big russian tanks" . Ok i just don't wana end up throwing 15 medium tanks against 1 heavy and having the 15 just get slaughtered.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Its all about front and side armour numbers vs antitank numbers.  A sherman has an antitank rating of 10.  A Tiger IE has a front armour of 9 and a side armour of 8.

When you shoot and score a hit with a tank vs another tank the hit tank gets an armour save.  They roll a dice and add their armour value.  If the score is greater than the antitank value of the hit then they are ok.  If it is equal they are bailed out on a successful firepower test (meaning the tank is immobile until the crew gets back in).  If it is less than the antitank value of the hit then on a firepower test it is destroyed.

So you can see that the only way a sherman has a chance destroying a Tiger is to hit it in the side armour and even then the German player has a very good chance of shrugging it off.  Now a Sherman Firefly (Brad Pitt's tank in Fury) has a bigger gun with an antitank rating of 15 giving it a much better chance at killing a Tiger.  If you look at the Sherman armour though you've got Front armour 6 and side armour 4.  The Tiger's antitank rating is 13 so if you hit you kill.  Its a pretty big mismatch but the points per tank reflects that.  You can have lots of tanks or you can have a few really good tanks.

An Allied tank platoon is going to need more than just Shermans to deal with the bigger stuff.  That's why you'll always see some M10's and other antitank stuff mixed in there.

This video is pretty cheesy but it sums it up pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj0AzL95Weg

edit: An example of a Soviet heavy tank is the IS-2.  Front armour 10, side 8, antitank 12.  Pretty decent. Even their medium tanks are great, A T-34 has FA 7, SA 5 and AT 12.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Ic, so its all a balance of offence vs defence... how much does range and angles play a part in this game? Obvi there are sides and stuff but like are ricochet's in this game or would that be a "firepower" test? Russians honestly don't sound that bad, i just want the army to have nice looking tanks too if that makes sense... are there any T-34's for the Russians? Crew bails out? this sounds like a vunerable tactic, better then remaining in a giant armored coffin i supose. No sound at work so ill listen to the video later, but watching it was very cool. I couldn't handle the mental stress with being in that giant confined metal box while being shot at, hearing all of the little bullets pinging off just waiting for that big slam to punch a hole in your armor and leave you a burning mess ... yeah doesn't sound fun... Plus everything im reading on tanks they have no subwoofers so sound systems inside had to SUCK.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:38 pm

Long range reduces the AT rating by 1. Long range is anything past 16" I think.

Angles and cover are a huge part of the game. The more maneuverable tanks are always trying to use their speed to get in behind the bigger tanks in order to get at the lighter side armour while the big tanks pick them off as they try.

A ricochet would be the firepower test.

A "bailout" could be the crew getting out and hiding behind the tank or it could be a mechanical fault, jammed gun etc. Just means the tank is inoperative at the moment.

Yes the Soviets have T-34's. They are considered by many the best all-round tank in the game.

If I'm wrong on any of these someone who knows please correct me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:09 pm

Hrm would have thought long range would have had more of an effect. Maybe im thinking too "long range".

Hrm... this sounds like alot of fun, now i RLY don't know if i want Speed so i can run around pew pew or just getting big heavy tanks and sitting there going BOOM BOOM. Can all armies do both or would one army stand out for either one of those more than others? (i know i ask alot of questions feel free to ignore them, this just interests me alot)

Ah ok so theres no like your crew can get shot while climbing outta the tank or anything. Was just wondering.

hrm excellent i kind of like the T34's not gonna lie, 2nd most produced tank ever, apperently was the basis for most of the WW2 tank designers. cuz it rocked with its super angled armor, everything just bounced off it ! - shooddy craftsmanship tho Razz damn Russia...

Hrm much to think about

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I am seriously tempted to make an American Armoured car force with some Chaffees, Shermans and Tank Destroyers in support. It seems like the ultimate speed list.

Germans and Russians do big tanks better than the rest.

It might not sound like much but -1 AT can be pretty huge.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:48 pm

Im really thinking im leaning American... Shermans look fun. Russia would be my #2... damn... damn. I want a fast hitting smashy force.

As much as Germany is visually pleasing to look at i don't wana do a German army.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:29 pm

There's cromwells, which are Sherman's but better. Challengers, which are fireflies but better and comets , which are out in a week which are bigger and super cool. All British.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:58 pm

squalie wrote:There's cromwells, which are Sherman's but better. Challengers, which are fireflies but better and comets , which are out in a week which are bigger and super cool. All British.

Ic... so british sound like the "better" american, and id much rather be British than Murican... Looks like i might be going British Wink Firefly's - so many of them Sean needs probably?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:26 pm

I am really liking the British but I'm curious about the Americans. British Shermans tend to be pretty basic but the American Shermans get all kinds of options and variations.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:53 pm

hrm... So u have british eh Nathan? What kind of upgrades do the Americans get?... British still sounds fun to me. Whats easier to paint?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Sean, read this, you're starting to get annoying:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=109&art_id=705

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:18 pm

A Firefly is a British tank with a 17 pdr. as the main weapon. Fury was an American 76mm Sherman. An M4A2. Both Sherman hulls but slightly different.

Learn your shit Nathan!

Also Fury was an inexcusable piece of shit. By the end of the movie it's just straight up comedy.

Nobody should spend ANY money to see it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm

They should make a directors cut where the movie ends when the tank hits the mine. "everyone was killed. the end." Roll credits. Up until that point I thought it was great.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:31 pm

See now why didnt someone just do that in the first place? Wait... What do you mean "starting" ? I thought i passed that mark LONG ago ha. Thx Don

I also noticed it wasnt a Firefly but didnt wana sound like a KNOW IT ALL! Ha jk. I quite enjoyed Fury, but i do agree that NO way that one disabled tank could hold off that long against a Zealot SS Unit like that. The infantry Panzfuck w.e AT guns would have had no problem with destroying an immobalized Sherman. Somewhere online i saw a real WW2 tank vet did a realistic review of fury. And they didnt do that bad apperently untill that last fight.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:51 pm

nathanr wrote:They should make a directors cut where the movie ends when the tank hits the mine.  "everyone was killed.  the end." Roll credits. Up until that point I thought it was great.

Ya, I enjoyed it until the stand off.

And the Sean-isms were starting to get carried away. Wink I'm just saying (as I've said before) just do a touch of homework on the game on the Mother site, like the link I sent you, and you'll ask better questions - and even more importantly understand the answers better.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:58 pm

For me the U turn from good to shit was the shelling in the town.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:55 am

Ok so read that link Don sent thats a brief outline. I gotta say right out of the gate im liking a Mechanized company. The "Patience" needed for infantry probably wouldnt suit me. But the speed and aggresiveness of a tank army definately sounds right up my alley! Plus they say its the easiet to start so i believe thats the way im going to go. TANKS! Ok my next problem is to pick WHOES tanks i wana use. Leaning towards American or British... One question is can an Ally army fight another Ally army? So could there be a British vs American fight? The example lists still dont make a ton of sense to me... Whats a "Priest" ? I like it

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:46 pm

A Priest is a self-propelled artillery piece. The Canadians used them without the gun as APC's naming them "Defrocked Priests".

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top