A LOT to chew on about 9th edition. Everyone needs to read.....

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A LOT to chew on about 9th edition. Everyone needs to read.....

Post  squalie on Mon May 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Lord Dan, from Warseer, is compiling rumours from trusted sources ( mostly).

I hope these are true, I like pretty much every one.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Mon May 11, 2015 11:43 pm

If that list of 9th edition rules are true, then that's awesome! I like the updated lance rules and ASF on the charge.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue May 12, 2015 9:08 am

I don't think i like the regeneration part .. that sounds dumb
also i don't care for the ASF part, unless they change how it work entirely it seems retarded and potentially broken.

most of the other stuff seems great, really interested in the spears and lances part. I wonder if lances doing impact hits is in addition to attack or in place of attacks ? i would be fine with in place of attacks, lots of damage potential

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 12, 2015 12:54 pm

I like the regen part as it shouldn't be a straight 4+ Ward that only fire removes. I like that it (could) work like a hydra.

And asf working only on the charging unit....how is that broken?

Defend yourself!!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue May 12, 2015 7:34 pm

asf you chaos warriors = re rolls failed hits as of right now, hell anything under that can benefit from it as well given that the enemy is equal to or less then in initiative, suddenly having pretty much hatred is pretty kick as in my mind

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Kuyp wrote:asf you chaos warriors = re rolls failed hits as of right now, hell anything under that can benefit from it as well given that the enemy is equal to or less then in initiative, suddenly having pretty much hatred is pretty kick as in my mind

I'm not sure I understand. ASF, would only benefit IF you charge and only for the first round. That seems waaay more balanced than always, always getting rerolls.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 12, 2015 9:49 pm

Kuyp wrote:asf you chaos warriors = re rolls failed hits as of right now, hell anything under that can benefit from it as well given that the enemy is equal to or less then in initiative, suddenly having pretty much hatred is pretty kick as in my mind

Sure but now you can actually charge stuff with Lizards, OnG, Dwarfs, etc. and not just run up and be wiped out. There is plenty of good reasons to flee from charging chaos Warriors. Always was.

I like what I see but the biggest things I need to know I haven't seen addressed yet - Base size(shape) and the new fluff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 pm

well yes but currently only really elves benefit form it. to me the first round would be all you need. things like strenght bounus or spell efects could mean absoulte ruin for a unit.

consider your unit of 30 something gets charged by an equal size unit of the same somethings, you have both payed the same points for each unit and all that, normally you each would strike at the same time with the same attacks and the same saves ect ect seems pretty fair to me. but now i charge you with my unit that's exactly the same as your and suddenly just because i said charge and got my 2D6 dice roll to make it into you i am now far Superior because I get to go first re rolling my misses and then you get to attack most likely meaning you have now lost some troops possibly affecting the number of attacks you get negating the damage to my self and probably allowing me to win combat and break your unit. all because i can push models close ish and then say charge and hope i make it.

If charging was different with either some repercussion or some actual skill involed in doing it, such as guess range like in 7th then ya i can see it being okay. to me it just seems lazy giving everyone asf, just let therm attack first like in 7th dont give them a special rule for it...

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 12, 2015 10:11 pm

I agree with some of your points, Striking first as opposed to using the ASF rule would seem okay. I think this brings in more uses for cavalry and makes playing around terrain and more of the good old ways viable again. The luck based 2 dice plus move is lame, always will be like so much of 8th.

Having said that 8th (from a strong 7th preference bias...) is really, really luck based. I very much dislike the heavy handed magic phase. I dislike the total power and miscast being the same thing. Gee Dub seemed to really go out of their way to bring in a lot more dice and uncertainty into the game itself while taking the uncertainty away from what I felt were strong skill components of the game. That being the eyeballing of distances. I was assured by many that these changes made the game "the best version evah!!!!"

Even slight changes back to 7th ed. can only mean that I am right and have been all along. All praise GW for hearing ME, Scott Radom, as a strong and handsome dissenter in a sea of unwashed 8th lovers.

So far I am onboard, though I wait to see the structural changes to the mini's and fluff.

I was hoping for a complete and total rework though. GW's War of the Ring rules are pretty strong looking and I don't know too many people with much bad to say about it. Though truthfully I don't know many who played the game, myself included.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 13, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm not sure you guys are interpreting the ASF rumour correctly.  I read it as two separate statements.  The first is:

"ASF has changed."

That could mean anything.  Re-rolls might be gone, or maybe its just a bonus to initiative.  Again, it could mean ANYTHING.

The second statement is:

"Units that charge get ASF vs the unit they charge"

So regardless of what the new ASF rules are, I read that as saying that any unit that charges gets ASF against whatever it charged (like in 6th and 7th editions).  I love this change and it is maybe the one thing I disliked in 8th edition.  It means that half my bretonnian knights aren't going to die before they can hit when I charge a unit of chaos warriors.  They can (and will) die after but not until after they've had a chance to kill something (or whiff horribly as the case may be).

It gives a much-needed boost back to cavalry, especially against elite infantry against which they have suffered in the past.  I think this is a balancing thing and I like it.

I actually see the rest of these rumours as fixing balance issues as well. In general, infantry are getting toned down and cavalry and monsters are being boosted back into a main combat role rather than the support role they've largely been playing in 8th. To balance this out, infantry are given an anti-cavalry option with spears and outnumbering bonus. Also, the effect of terrain on charge distances lets defensive players use the terrain more effectively to protect their flanks.

Hopefully new spells are a bit more reasonable and there aren't any single game-winning spells. I also hope the useless magic items are gone and replaced with ones that are actually useful.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Wed May 13, 2015 5:15 pm

nathanr wrote:I'm not sure you guys are interpreting the ASF rumour correctly.  I read it as two separate statements.  The first is:

"ASF has changed."

That could mean anything.  Re-rolls might be gone, or maybe its just a bonus to initiative.  Again, it could mean ANYTHING.

The second statement is:

"Units that charge get ASF vs the unit they charge"

So regardless of what the new ASF rules are, I read that as saying that any unit that charges gets ASF against whatever it charged (like in 6th and 7th editions).  I love this change and it is maybe the one thing I disliked in 8th edition.  It means that half my bretonnian knights aren't going to die before they can hit when I charge a unit of chaos warriors.  They can (and will) die after but not until after they've had a chance to kill something (or whiff horribly as the case may be).

I would say this depends on the route they decide to take with this possible Lance change where lances will give impact hits. I would be interested to see if lances just acted like a Stonehorn charge where you get impacts in substitute of attacks. I mean that is honestly the best of both worlds here. Getting to do damage first AND not even having to roll to swing Razz

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 am

I really like that idea. It would make lances very useful and would reduce the chance of a whiffed charge. Bretonnians would once again become a powerhouse although whether or not bretonnians exist in the new fluff remains to be seen.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Thu May 14, 2015 4:00 pm

Well from what I read from the compressed story the Bretts buggered off with 2 high elves to some paradise world. So I would guess they will still be around and kicking. Maybe they are the fabled "Space Marines" of fantasy that are suppose to be making their debut.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Thu May 14, 2015 11:21 pm

I, for one, welcome our new Bretonnian overlords!

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun May 17, 2015 1:59 pm

I like the sounds of a lot of these rules. However I do agree with Scott that there is a bit too much randomness. I have never been a fan of the 2d6 magic system as it can dramatically change a game, I mean you can win a game by getting good winds of magic rolls, to me that doesn't really make sense. The random terrain is silly too, but honestly it never really seems to make that big a difference in my games.

I do think that some randomness in charging is appropriate though, maybe not 2d6+m but something that isn't just "I charge so I go 2xM". I also like the idea of units not being so immune to things like terror and fear, and I also like that steadfast might not be so damn good. I mean honestly, would 5 goblins really take unmodified leadership vs a war hydra just because they have a full rank? No, they wouldn't.

Hopefully 9th ends up being better than 8th, if anything its something new! And new is usually good, at least for a while.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 am

There's a bunch of new rumours, but I'll let you chew on this for a bit...

https://twitter.com/BadDice_Podcast/status/599547063328714752

http://tozudosadieces.blogspot.com.es/2015/05/warhammer-world-llegan-las-peanas.html

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 18, 2015 10:43 am

Hmm, I don't like this.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Mon May 18, 2015 11:55 pm

As long as round or square can be used I really don't mind.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue May 19, 2015 9:23 pm

I REALLY don't like this I have like 2000-3000 troops that would need bases....

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 19, 2015 10:50 pm

From what I can understand the round squares will mix freely. If you want to play the newer, smaller version of Warhammer I think the round bases are predominant. The larger scale battle still use the square bases.

I think squares will gradually phase out over the years. These, of course, are still rumours...

I don't mind the looks of it and I don't think it makes a lick of difference.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:20 pm

http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=4090581419.jpg

If this is legit looks like we can look forward to July!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Ugh, I'm sooooo tired of hearing about that Sigmar guy!  Wink

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214667&d=1433280060

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=214668&d=1433280080

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

I feel like this edition could really be anything, with any kind of story... wait and see I guess.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:58 pm

Nathan.A. wrote:I feel like this edition could really be anything, with any kind of story... wait and see I guess.

One month. Pretty much longest month evaaar!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:58 pm

http://raffazza.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/times-changin-get-ready-for-age-of.html?m=1

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top