A LOT to chew on about 9th edition. Everyone needs to read.....

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A LOT to chew on about 9th edition. Everyone needs to read.....

Post  Carson on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:17 pm

I've read the rules now and I think it has potential. Need to play a few games though. I could this developing into something great.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Not sure how I like the army build. A giant a goblin or a man are all on par. Only model count to build lists

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:06 am

Mhael wrote:Not sure how I like the army build. A giant a goblin or a man are all on par. Only model count to build lists

That seems to be the primary concern/curiosity on everyone's mind. I've read a few battle reports and the actual "deployment" of the army seems to fix this at least a little You don't actually bring an army anymore - you bring a bunch of models and can react to whatever your opponent is putting into play. Now, if he drops 5 Bloodthirsters, and all you happen to have is your cousins block of Night Goblin archers....you still have a chance AND you get to call him a piece of ****. There are victory conditions that work with an imbalance of models.

I was wondering; Is it as simple as making a 1500 (or whatever) point list using the old army creation rules and then simply playing the game with the new rules? At least there is some semblance of "common ground" balance?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:15 am

Good ploy then by gw to get people to buy all the big toys

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:18 am

I like to play around with lists and if I bring a weaker list bc it fits a storyline that's what I prefer. Not scaled up.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:35 am

Mhael wrote:Good ploy then by gw to get people to buy all the big toys

Heck, it's not even a ploy.  It's straight up the intention of AoS.  Just bring the models you want, no restrictions anymore.

By the way Andre, I'm reading that Ogres are absolutely kick ass in Age of Sigmar. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am

Yeah I printed off the comp for it. No silly rules.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:11 am

Mhael wrote:Good ploy then by gw to get people to buy all the big toys

Fantastic Marketing scheme. I bring a big baddie to the table, you go out and buy a bigger baddie for the next game, and so on and so forth.

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Its my point of concern, right now. How do you make for fun balanced games. I really like what I see so far......magic system is great and what I always envisaged magic to be, simple rules that "mainly" cover the scope of the game. But for fuck sakes, why not have a points system to at least aid players in army creation for balanced games.

Right now, I hope, that everyone agrees to just keep playing 8th edition for the league while "learning" the new game. We can all see what if any things come in the future. I still think it could be a great game with the changes I've seen. Maybe its up to the players to devise a balanced way to play.....perhaps as don mentioned......using the 8th edition army books to build the army and then playing the game AOS style.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:33 pm

I'll try Age of Sigmar. I might even like it. It's a far cry from Warhammer though. To me Warhammer is good and truly dead. I feel like this is the part of my life when I grab the dog tags I have from Warhammer 6th ed. and I toss them in the ocean from an aircraft carrier while a sick guitar solo plays in the background. Time to move on...

Fuckin' sick Top Gun reference though! Man... I miss Goose so much...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:11 pm

It is truly over. GW reps and anyone associated (even Forge World) is making it VERY clear, Age of Sigmar is not 9th edition and that Warhammer Fantasy is in the past.

Part of me wants to believe that some of the World will continue to play 8th edition, and I'm sure some will...for a while. But, the community and the rest of the world will either play AoS or eventually just stop playing all together.

At the recent Forge World gamesday it was encouraged to ask questions about AoS.

GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and ctalk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.

There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.

They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.

The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm

Well, now I feel I should just continue to not play (or play 8th), until the "tournament" rules are released. Then we can look at what their ideas of balanced actually are. Or, we can make a local rule set to balance for how we view them.

As it stands, after reading the 4 page rules, and reading peoples assessments of it after playing several games, I am not interested in how this works. And that saddens me Sad

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:47 pm

One should be very careful about passing judgement based on others experiences. I've read a few great reviews and battle reports and also some bitter angry gamers. I don't want a couple games, I'd like a full day of games and flog AoS into the dirt before I make a solid decision.

My future hobby life depends on it. Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:39 am

Druchi wrote:Well, now I feel I should just continue to not play (or play 8th), until the "tournament" rules are released. Then we can look at what their ideas of balanced actually are. Or, we can make a local rule set to balance for how we view them. Sad

Problem is, from what I gathered reading that big blue post our old stuff wont necessarily be included for the new comps and stuff. Don has told me they are going to be just throwing a ton of stuff out in the weeks to come. I am guessing what we we have now for rules towards our old stuff may be the best we can expect. That being said I think we have a smart enough group we can self police and keep things in a friendly setting.
As for stopping 8th play, that choice puzzles me. Nothing wrong with that old clunker ;P

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:17 pm

Well nice to have some official confirmation on everything everyone basically already figured out, that this game will be added to, it will become balanced, scenarios are going to be released. Im excited to see some of the new asthetics for the "new" races (cool new lizard (sepharon) models here we come!). Main thing is they fix the game first though lol. As a very on the spot balancing suggestion is to go by wounds not models. Im sure theres lots of cases where it doesnt carry over but its a quick fix that stops the whole "abuse" of monsters only counting as one model.

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Deadlytoaster on Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:36 pm

Well this is an interesting article regarding some supposed "leaked" comp rules for AoS http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/age-of-sigmar-army-comp-rules-leaked.html

Deadlytoaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:33 pm

So a friend of mine who has been keeping his ear to the ground ( or rather eyes on the internet because he has nothing better to do with his time Razz) has stumbled on a formula for army creation. Its {attacks+wounds)xbravery. So saurus warriors have 2 attacks , 1 wound ... and 10 bravery ... so theyd be 30 points each, an Ogre has 3 attacks 4 wounds and 6 bravery ... so 42 points ... and a skaven clanrat has 1 attack , 1 wound , and 4 bravery .. so 8 points. Now how balanced that truly is I leave up to this tribunal. Just tossing it out there as sort of something to work off perhaps

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:40 pm

The game comes out on Saturday, no? Why don't you guys just give it a shot first.

If it's not good just go back to running models straight at each other 8th ed. style and call that "Warhammer".

I got my boxed set ordered, it'll be fun to brush up a few mini's if nothing else.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:37 pm

the points sound interesting indeed. I still would bet that GW will come out with some form of army creation, other than throw shit on the table.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm

While it does make organizing games more difficult I think in practice you just both put models on the table until you think you're set.  If I put down a bloodthirster you aren't going to put down 20 goblins and start playing.  You're going to call me a jerk and put down an arachnorok or a couple of giants to try to counter my bloodthirster and then we'll continue trying to counter each others' deployed units with something of our own until we both decide we're ready to play or we run out of models.

It seems like a decent system as long as you have the models. I think my wood elves are the most versatile army that I've got, I can put 3 treemen, a dragon and Orion on the table if I feel that I need to but I can also field archers, dryads and glade riders etc. instead if my opponent isn't going for the jugular with his deployment.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:40 pm

One of my favorite list designing mechanics was the inclusion of the core special and rare quotas and limits. I hope the game gives a reason to have things like that. Right now, why would you deploy dwarf warriors when you have ironbreakers? We'll see. If I buy the game, try it, and realize that it's nothing more than a beer and pretzels game I'm out before it starts. I don't believe in house rules or doing a lot of work to make a game I paid money for playable. My ONLY two requirements to get me in are 1)Impressive mini's and 2)At least a decent ruleset.

I'm even perfectly willing to play with all new stuff and judge the game on a go forward basis ignoring all the scrolls for the existing range.

C'mon GW, give me a pitch I can swing at here!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:31 am

Does anyone know if the rules are downloadable yet

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:04 pm

9th rules? Yeah I linked the site

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Here's the link

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:56 pm

Go buy a computer Andre Smile laptop Walmart special like $300 surely a rich handsome gentleman like yourself can afford one

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:56 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top