Wood Elf Army?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wood Elf Army?

Post  Kal on Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:32 pm

Soooo my fellow peoples. Yes i grouped you all in the same category as I! So my girlfriend is watching me finally start painting and assembling some figs lately so she now knows what the BOXES AND BOXES AND BOXES of Warhammer stuff i have around is all about. She expressed interest in painting and a MILD far off interest in actually playing. So the two armies she has been humming and hawing about are Wood Elfs and Lizardmen. the Woodies ended up winning out because of the new Treemen and Dryad figs they are "prettier". So long story short i don't know a ton about the Woodies and how a normal list would look and how they work etc, i know Dom fills me with arrows and runs around in his PJ's but thats about it. She wants a very Tree oriented army, so Dryads for most of the core, probably as many treemen as possible and other prettier stuff. So we are buying an army one box at a time but id just like to get a general idea of what we'll end up needing. I had a point when i started this im fairly sure of it... Just kinda asking what works, and what would a decent list look like? nothing crazy but nothing that just sucks. Dryads and Treemen are for sure. I briefly was using army builder to try to figure stuff out but i have no idea on characters and stuff. Any tips / advice? Again im pritty sure i had an actual question when i started but my mind has lost it to the ether Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wood Elf Army?

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:34 pm

If you change your mind and want some lizards I got lots for cheap.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Unfortunately, dryads are pretty terrible in the new book. Maybe they aren't terrible but they are much worse than they used to be and they didn't go down in points much. For 1 point more you can get eternal guard which are ASF, armour piercing, stubborn, have armour and can take full command. Dryads cause fear, have hatred and have T4 but they can't take a banner or musician.

That said, I think you could possibly make a viable dryad-heavy army. Lore of beasts will be your friend because with wyssan's wild form they will be S4, T5. 2 treemen become a scary proposition and if you want another you can take a treeman ancient or even Durthu as a character choice. Wild riders are very nasty and sisters of the thorn are quite effective as well. Way watchers are also possibly the best unit in the book. They rank right up there with wild riders for me.

When I get a chance I'll pull out my book and have a to at actually seeing what you can fit into an army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:08 am

Thanks for the responce!! Hrmm Dryads arn't completely terrible tho are they? Like still useable? Wow Dryads don't even get any armor?! Arnt they walking tree's ? Idk about u but i think trying to swing a sword a a tree would be difficult. She already ordered herself a box of dryads, some paint and some White Primer. lol! So she beat me too it. I was thinking a biggish block of Dryads backed up by a couple of units of archers. Dryads also have 2 attacks each. How would u run Dryads? like size of units? Horde them? few smallish blocks 7x3?

I was thinking a True Flight arrow unit of archers following the Dryads around with a wizard in the unit with Beast Magic would be half decent. 2 Treemen is probably enough. They are expensive figs. So does Wood Elves have a fighty Lord that could lead the army? or is it smarter to rock a lvl4 Wizard General? The treemen are lvl1 Life wizards arn't they? So a couple of lvl 2's and sisters of thorn with the treemen and she would probably have a nice variety of spells to pick from.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:56 am

Treemen have no magic, you need an ancient for that. An ancient starts at level 1 life but you can upgrade them to a level 4 if you want to spend a lot of points.

If you are looking for a fighty lord wood elves aren't the best place to look. I'd rather take a couple hero-level fighters and invest more points into units. I think dryads should be in big units, arranged similar to witch elves or daemonettes. I wouldn't horde them because without a musician you can't swiftly reform them. 7x7 or 7x6 maybe with a branchwraith to lead them?

On paper way stalker characters look good but they aren't usually that good in an actual game. War hawks are also a great support unit.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 am

Tree fist punch is a TYPE of magic Wink haha jk - they still have that tangling vine shooting attack?

7x7!? Is that a typo or?! Wow thats alot. if i had them and some archers and chaff that would be core taken care of.

Im not talking blender type lords, she just wants someone who can stand out of the crowd and stab / shoot more than a standard elf. So hero's are probably enough

What kind of BSB does the army have and where would i hide it?

Warhawks u actually have to buy one at a time? ic... unit of 3 ? worth it?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:29 pm

My favorite bsb is mounted on a giant stag. Not the most practical choice but it is impressive and definitely stands out in the crowd.

War hawks are good and you only need a unit of 3 so it's not so bad that you need to buy them one at a time.

Strangleroot is a 20 point upgrade for your treemen. I said 7x7 because otherwise it hour armour your dryads are just going to get cut down. Strength in numbers.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Where does that BSB go? or does he just run around on his own? that would be impressive is it a conversion or?

War hawks seem like fun, decent rules too eh? 3 should be fine then, just flanker / warmachine and daemon prince hunters Wink

20 points and i can choke a bitch from 12 feet away ... good deal. 7X7 just kinda seems a bit... idk odd? But i kinda get what u mean, still puts out 21 attacks with hatred, and u have ranks. two units of 7x4 might be viable as well? Aye strength in numbers is a tactic, but i prefer strength in strength, much more reliable Wink

Thanks for the help Nathan, honestly i expected Captain Woodie (Dom) to chime in here, but he plays a WAYY different game with WE then id ever wana learn.

Wardancers? how good / bad are they?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I think you're going to want ranks with your dryads so you can be steadfast for at least 1 turn. I said 7 wide so you get a good amount of attacks but it's still narrow enough that you can afford some ranks.

The bsb can go on his own or join a unit of wild riders. If he joins the wild riders they lose their fast cavalry status.

I had wood elves way before Dom did.

War dancers are ok. They aren't my favorite but they definitely have their uses. They are a good support unit but the wood elves have lots of choices when it comes to supporting units so I rarely have the points left for them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Ok fair enough im not arguing just curious. Steadfast is good, what characters can / should go in Dryads? i think we'll go 7x6 to start, then flavor to how we want, its gonna look like a big moving forest lol!

Smarter to put them in wild riders eh? look out sir and make him more durable maybe. Can't i just staple a flag to the back of a Treeman and figure and call him a BSB?

Yes i know you had Wood Elves way before dom, but I NEVER GET TO FACE YOU NATHAN! Ive only ever faced ure Woodies once. Yet dom has filled many a chaos knight with arrows, thats the only reason i said it Razz not to offend. Plus i associate everyone with the first army i played them with. Don's a High Elf, Nathan's a High Elf, Doms a Woodie, Andre is a Dwarf, Justins a Rat, Carson's a Vamp Zombie.

So more of a small unit of 5x3 or 7x4 as a flanker or something, not as a main fighting block eh? Aye seems like there are alot of funner choices to pick from, plus they didn't get new figs did they?

Last edited by Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:47 pm

A branchwraith is a good, cheap way to add a bit of punch to a unit of dryads.

If you want some dryads I probably have some extras that I'm not likely to use. They are painted and based and they were assembled when dryads were skirmishers so they are likely impossible to rank up easily. I'll have a look and see how many I am willing to part with. Probably at least 8-10.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:56 pm

Branchwraith - got it.

Super appreciate the help Nathan, Elves arn't my strong suit... they arn't ... MEN!!! So this will be helpful when planning her Pajama Wearing Fairy Army. PILLOW FIGHT

Ou really now Mr Nathan Razz How much? i take it you arn't using them in the new book or? haha Ive make a horde of 40 blood letters, i understand Impossible to rank up Razz

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:01 pm

I'll have to look to see how many I have to sell you. Once I do that I'll come up with a price.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:01 pm

I had a look and I only have 23 dryads left. I thought I had 32 so I must have already sold some and forgot. I wanted to keep 20. I can give you the 3 but I don't think I'm going to part with more than that. Sorry.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top