End OF Times - U gonna do it?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

End OF Times - U gonna do it?

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:32 am

Just wondering how many people are actually going to end up mashing armies together or just kind of stick with the same general idea they had with a bit of different elements or they going to completely mix everythign together. Im looking at my WoC army and kinda thinking i could drop a horde of Gor's into my core, or throw a skull cannon or two into the fray. But honestly im thinking of just leaving my list mostly alone and moving one or two elements. Like im feeling about dropping my Dragon Ogres for Khorne Mino's sooo MANY fun. and maybe drop a Chimera for some other big nasty. But over all i don't think i want to have a tri themed army, more like a WoC army with a few "Mercenaries" from other armies. So i guess im wondering who is going all in, partially in, or not in at all?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: End OF Times - U gonna do it?

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 am

I could take a combined elf list except that if I do that then my opponents have to agree to the weird magic rules that go along with them. 4D6 power dice and rolling a D6 to see how many dice you can use to cast a spell, everyone knows all the spells etc. It's weird and I don't like it. I guess I'll probably end up waiting for 9th edition or whatever the End Times is leading up to before I do anything really drastic with my army. I'll just keep soldiering on with my non-endtimes lists facing the big nasties like Nagash and Glottkin.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:49 am

Already doing it - and most people are. And adding Skullcannons doesn't follow any "theme" Sean - it's just adding the obvious power units. Now, having said that, I made a Khorne End Times list which includes 2 Khorne Cannons....all just for fluff of course. Wink

I'm really not sure about the End Times, I went from Really, really liking it, to liking it a lot (with the Glotkin book) and now with the Khaine book it seems too much? There is some crazy, crazy stuff going on. The next book being Skaven (with Lizardmen in it) could even take me over the edge and just have me painting units in prep for 9th and asking opponents nicely to simply play 8th for now. And this is after I spent a ton of cash to get my Khorne End Times list on the table.

Here's a question: If I play my Khorne End times army against a dude, do I have to use the magic system out of the Khaine book, or only when using a Khaine List?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:02 pm

The official ruling for when to use the Khaine magic rules are as follows:

- If either player is using a combined elf army
- If either player wants to use the Khaine magic rules

Not sure how that second one is going to go. "oh hey, want to play a game?" "Sure, want to try out the new magic rules?" "no" "well I do so we have to". Neutral

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:04 pm

I feel like if i had cash to burn i would definitely have a legion of chaos army on the table and would probably even paint it :0
It would be the coolest thing around and people over the net would probably just look at me like im some kind of a crazy nut and tell me how shity it is and how it will never win games.

Would i make a combination elf army ? Probably not. I think the only thing to gain is a powerful army list because you know, all elves lack power right now anyway. ...

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm enjoying the story from the Khaine book. Tyrion's fight with Orion is pretty epic and then he gets tossed by Durthu. So awesome!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:52 pm

I will make a legion of Chaos Nurgle army mostly because it's stupid you can't have mortals, demons, and beasts in the same list anyway.

I think the Khaine book is hella weak. Am I missing something or was there no new models? Not even new riders for Imrik, Malekith etc? Lame.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I also love the Chaos legion....that's how it should be. I can live with the combination of the tombkings and Vampires but I HATE the Khaine combination. I'll never bring myself to field High and Dark elves together.

And yeah, no new releases with the khaine book....weak

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:39 pm

They already have that kick ass dragon plastic kit right? Couldn't even just do some new riders for it for Imrik etc. Weak. Not even a new Teclis? So bad. The story is OK, but weakest of the three.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:46 am

They definitely dropped the ball with no new models. I mean the 3 elf armies probably represent a good percentage of their customer base and a big dragon riding model (or the long-rumoured drake knights) would have sold like hotcakes. At the very least a new Malekith model would have been nice. Maybe that's what they mean by "Eternity King", the model has been around for an eternity.

Maybe they are just saving their elf models for the 9th edition release. Seems to me that the models are going to need quite the makeover now that they're all living together in one big happy family.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Anthel Loren is land locked so I guess the Lothern Seaguard and the Corsairs are going into retirement.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:15 pm

Nah, the world roots stretch to the water. Although both the High and Dark elf fleetmasters did die I think. The high elf one did so in much grander style.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:45 pm

How did they die?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:48 pm

I played a game the other night featuring a Choas legion blending Daemons and Warriors against my Elves in which I included something from all 3 factions. It offered interesting new stuff to choose from, but I honestly don't think that the way the army plays varies much. Outside of the rare choices, I struggle to think of much I'd rather include as a high elf guy.
Perhaps Waywatchers, Warlocks, scourgerunner chariots would do better than what I already have at my disposal. There might be some shenanigans within the scope of hero/item combos that might skew some of my High elf units, but I haven't looked that deep yet.
In conclusion, I like the flexibility. If it makes other armies jealous that elves now have such a vast menu of choices, I guess that might be an issue. Let's see what future ally possibilities look like before we declare it unfair though.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:27 pm

The dark elf dude gets killed by a reincarnated phoenix king of old and the high elf dude sacrifices himself in order to put the most bad-ass gypsy curse of all time on Tyrion/Khaine's fleet.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:57 pm

Galadros wrote:I played a game the other night featuring a Choas legion blending Daemons and Warriors against my Elves in which I included something from all 3 factions. It offered interesting new stuff to choose from, but I honestly don't think that the way the army plays varies much. Outside of the rare choices, I struggle to think of much I'd rather include as a high elf guy.
Perhaps Waywatchers, Warlocks, scourgerunner chariots would do better than what I already have at my disposal. There might be some shenanigans within the scope of hero/item combos that might skew some of my High elf units, but I haven't looked that deep yet.
In conclusion, I like the flexibility. If it makes other armies jealous that elves now have such a vast menu of choices, I guess that might be an issue. Let's see what future ally possibilities look like before we declare it unfair though.

I've only ever played against elves but I've always found High and Dark to be basically the exact same army. Meaning not once have I ever really had to change a single idea about strategy vs. these guys. Wood elves are always annoying though as they play(ed) pretty unique back when.

So far just flipping through end times stuff I see a lot of things that look nifty story wise and sure you could bust the hell out of an army if you wanted but can't you do that with some of the regular books anyway?

So far I give it a thumbs up.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KingLlama00 on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:04 am

This End Times stuff seems to be alot of cherry picking , which I guess is fine if everyone is doing it.
I haven't bought any book yet, and given the option I would still play Daemons out of the Daemon book. I do have one complaint, no stat lines for all these combined lists. If I want to pick from 3 armies I still have to buy 3 books

But GW hasn't been about the game for a long time, its about the models, from a corporate standpoint at least

At least they look pretty

KingLlama00

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:31 am

I plan on keeping a very Warrior focused Chaos legion army. Id like to spice it up with a Gor horde, some Ungor support and Mino's if i can get the models. Im sure theres smarter ways to cherry pick better elements from each army but meh thats no fun lol and way to much work for me. I have the warriors and beastman book so itll work for me lol. still have yet to have a game since the new end of time stuff even came out

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:22 pm

I have a question for people who have the khaine book or any of them really. Does everything in the end times books use combined profiles ? Or is it just the special characters that they released?

My question is if i mount a dude on a great stag does he now become strength 5 though 4 with 5 wounds and 5 attacks ???

How does this work

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:59 pm

Unfortunately no. Only the special characters get the combined profile. It does seem like that is where things are going in 9th edition though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:19 pm

Another question . Is there any prerequisites for an end times elf list ? Like do i HAVE to build it a certain way ? Or can i just build my wood elves the same as i do but gain the benefit from both prowess rules ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:38 pm

There are actually 3 different combined lists. Wood elves feature in two of them. The one that you are thinking of with both prowess rules is the host of the eternity king and it includes pretty much all the High, Dark, and Wood Elf units. There are no rules for building your list although several special characters are not available. According to the Khaine book if you or your opponent have a combined army (any of the 3 in the book), the game is to be played using the weird magic rules that are in the Khaine book. Not sure how this would work in the upcoming Masters Tournament where Carson has said that End Time lists are accepted but normal magic rules are in effect.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:53 pm

Well it only slightly helps out my army as i will only have ine elf unit that would really benefit from it but if its less hassle i could just keep it as is. I had considered including some sword masters in my army mostly becuase i painted them and have no other use for them.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:37 am

Kuyp wrote:Well it only slightly  helps out my army as i will only have ine elf unit that would really  benefit  from it but if its less hassle  i could just keep it as is. I had considered  including  some sword masters  in my army mostly becuase i painted them and have no other use for them.
If you don't intend to use some particular special characters, there is no reason you couldn't just call your wood elf army a Host of the Eternity King. You are not required to include a Dark or High Elf model at all. You'd gain the benefit of the 'Prowess rules' whether in a forest or not, with no other downside.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:42 am

That's really all i was after. It helps out the eternal gaurd i normally use and the wild riders i pretty much always include.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top