trying to stay postive with the end times

View previous topic View next topic Go down

trying to stay postive with the end times

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:51 pm

Saw this thread this morning and it kind of depressed me. The magic changes with the new khaine book seem alright until you think of all the implications. example.....a high elf loremaster would know something like 60 spells. I think balance and the simplicity of fantasy compared to 40k has gone out the window.

Maybe its the fact that I still can't grasp a single book for elves.

I'm trying to stay positive but I don't know what to make of todays leak. I think the biggest problem will be for tournament organizers. I can't see how balanced tournament play can be achieved. The cherry picking that will take place now will be mind blowing.

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67120&start=990

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: trying to stay postive with the end times

Post  Galadros on Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:48 pm

I have two peices of hopefully comforting advice for you Carson.
1. Don't panic yet until you can see what is proposed as Warhammer rules vs. End Times scaenario rules. If you recall from the Nagash and Glotkin books, those were two different things.

2. Worry about game balance for when you're going to a tournament where you want to be the winner. Otherwise it shouldn't matter a great deal. When playing amongst club-mates, you can regulate what you do within a 3 minute conversation before you unpack your toys. I'm frankly always looking forward to playing Warhammer in skewed and unusual ways.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:11 pm

The worst shit I have ever read is the phrase Kieran just used... "club-mates". C'mon dude, that's the worst shit ever.

I got out of warhammer a ways ago. I've played only a couple games in 8th now. So that's where my perspective comes from.

I love the end times! It's cool fluff wise, I think some of the crazy goofy lists will be pretty cool looking. I also think they'll be LOTS of reasons to see some incredibly unbalanced lists. I feel no depression though because I think the game itself now lends itself to horribly unbalanced "just throw your shit at his shit and roll dice" so the end times doesn't really feel out of place at all. Fluff is crazy cool, game rules are way, WAY over the top but I feel the game straight outta the book isn't far behind.

My 2 cents. 'Cause I know you were wondering.

"club-mates". Jesus Christ.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:01 pm

I'm enjoying the End Times, but I have to admit in being reluctant to open and paint a $130 Nagash, knowing that he's dust when 9th starts. And please don't post "You can use it anyways" as you know what I mean.

I gotta tell ya, I now own all 3 hardcover books and I'm barely into Nagash as I'm struggling to get into the story. I'm pretty sure that's just me, but right now I have $300 in hardcover books I'm not certain I'll finish.

And Kieran, don't worry about "club-mates", Scotty-boy is about as uncultured as you'll ever find. Always consider the source! Having said that you mention always wanting to try the weird stuff, and while I admire and envy that - most people don't. Generally people just want to play "Regular" Warhammer, with the cool units. End Times fits that nicely as the rules have been tweaked at best and introduced some of the coolest, and biggest models Warhammer has ever seen.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:45 pm

I cant really justify spending so much on the books coming out, that said i think they are really great from a story perspective. In terms of game play though i feel like they will fade away like the other expansions that they have tried lately. When was the last time anyone played a game of storms of magic? Idont think anyone from here even really played it and i cant help but that the actually scenarios wont be played and as soon as 9th brings whatever it does the special rules governing the new models and joined armies will be rare across the battle feild.

Thats how i see it anyway, its just to bad the books cost so much

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Apothecary on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:55 am

I wish they would hurry up and release what ever they are planning to do with Brettonians. Got a box of them just sitting there waiting to be used or dumped. Anyway, does anyone know how the new magic system works for the Deamons Winds of Magic table?

The Apothecary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  blizzard435 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:42 am

In the Glottkin book, Reign of Chaos says to total the two highest dice rolled. So with the Magic of the End Times, you have a better chance of getting the beneficial Reign of Chaos options I guess!

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top