Combining Elves

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Combining Elves

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:03 pm

With End Times: Khaine on the horizon, I've been thinking about how to proceed.  I've got all 3 elf armies but I don't like mixing them because they are all based differently and have different color schemes and it just doesn't work for me.  However, it does seem like a great excuse to make a themed army with counts-as conversions.  Here's what I'm thinking:

White Lion-themed army:

Manticore rider as the general, painted white and possibly converted from Karl Franz's Griffon kit to get the really epic scale.
Maybe multiple manticore riders?

Wild Riders - Elves riding the lions from the chariot kit
White Lions (obviously)
Lion Chariots counting as cold one chariots just for when I play against Don Sad

Core could be eternal guard with the wildwood ranger hoods and some fur modelled onto their cloaks.

You could also do a seafarer list with Corsairs and Seaguard, lots of bolt throwers, dark riders and flying chariots but that doesn't excite me quite as much and it doesn't really have a place for wood elves.

There's also the scout list with Glade riders for core, deepwood scouts, shades, and shadow warriors for special and waywatchers for rare.  Led by the shadow warrior Lord and some waystalkers with an assassin or two thrown in, it could be a very interesting annoying army to play against.

Maybe just a big monster mash list with Dragons, Manticores, Griffons, Hydras, K-Beasts and treemen.  Core could be whatever.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Combining Elves

Post  squalie on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:05 pm

With End Times: Khaine on the horizon, I've been thinking about how to proceed.  I've got all 3 elf armies but I don't like mixing them because they are all based differently and have different color schemes and it just doesn't work for me.  However, it does seem like a great excuse to make a themed army with counts-as conversions.  Here's what I'm thinking:

Not sure if I noticed that you had all the Elves before, but I gave thought if I included other Elves in the list that I would need to follow my paint scheme winter bases.

White Lion-themed army:

Manticore rider as the general, painted white and possibly converted from Karl Franz's Griffon kit to get the really epic scale.
Maybe multiple manticore riders?

Wild Riders - Elves riding the lions from the chariot kit
White Lions (obviously)
Lion Chariots counting as cold one chariots just for when I play against Don Sad.  Please don't do this unless there was heavy conversion.  I would take exception to an Elf player that put a Lion Chariot on the table and proclaimed it was a cold One Chariot - seems a stretch...even to me.

Core could be eternal guard with the wildwood ranger hoods and some fur modelled onto their cloaks.

You could also do a seafarer list with Corsairs and Seaguard, lots of bolt throwers, dark riders and flying chariots but that doesn't excite me quite as much and it doesn't really have a place for wood elves.  Translation: I don't think it would be very good.   Very Happy

There's also the scout list with Glade riders for core, deepwood scouts, shades, and shadow warriors for special and waywatchers for rare.  Led by the shadow warrior Lord and some waystalkers with an assassin or two thrown in, it could be a very interesting annoying army to play against.  I get tense just thinking about this army...although it could be very fun.

Maybe just a big monster mash list with Dragons, Manticores, Griffons, Hydras, K-Beasts and treemen.  Core could be whatever.  And Phoenix....definitely Phoenix

You know, it's actually the Corsair/Seaguard list that has me the most intrigued. Weird.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Haha, I wouldn't actually use a lion chariot as a cold one chariot, I just said that because I've been on the listening-end of your lion vs cold one chariot rant a few too many times Razz

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Its really tough for me to come to grips with Dark elves joining up with, we'll, anyone! They do have eternal hatred against everyone for christs sake.

But like all things I'll probably get used to it and won't think twice about it. On the other hand I would like to see a combined Highelf/Woodelf list.....seems right to me.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:29 pm

nathanr wrote:Haha, I wouldn't actually use a lion chariot as a cold one chariot, I just said that because I've been on the listening-end of your lion vs cold one chariot rant a few too many times Razz

Ya, I certainly have opinions. Smile I should have a "mini-me" that filters anything I say that might be criticism or offensive. If that was the case though, "mini-me" practically wouldn't say anything. Cool

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:38 pm

So for shits and giggles I did some list building. here's what I came up with for an elf navy list:

Black Ark Fleetmaster - 30 points of magic, general
Lothorn Seahelm with a bow on a skycutter chariot and the battle standard

30 lothorn seaguard with shields and full command
25 corsairs with extra hand weapons and full command
24 corsairs with extra hand weapons and full command

3 skycutter chariots with bolt throwers
4 eagle claw bolt throwers
4 reaper bolt throwers

2 Great eagles with armour piercing
2 Giant eagles

=2500 points.

48 S4 AP shots from the bolt throwers per turn, as well as 39 bow shots from the seaguard and skycutter crews and 3 skycutter bolt throwers means a lot of ranged death. The 4 eagles give good redirection and harrassment. Once close combat happens though, you're messed. Also no magic phase could be troubling, especially in the end times.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Here's my Lion Army:

Led by a Treeman Ancient, Level 4 lore of life and strangleroots

Dark Elf Master on a Manticore with Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight, Shield, Heavy Armour and a Lance, Carrying the BSB.  The Manticore has Ironhard skin or whatever it is that gives it 4+ armour. (The Manticore would be modeled as a winged lion and be made to look more wild and feral than evil)

30 Eternal Guard with full command (White Lions in Training, maybe modeled using the hooded heads rather than the helmets)
15 Glade Guard with Trueflight Arrows and a musician (Even Bad-ass White Lions need ranged backup sometimes)

2 Lion Chariots
40 White Lions of Chrace with Full Command
5 Wild Riders with full command (riding Lions)
5 Wild Riders with full command (riding Lions)

I went with the forest and stubborn theme as much as I could.  The Treeman is the weak link in the theme but I didn't think that the White Lions would drag an archmage with them through the forests.  A treeman they might.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:23 pm

After reading the new Khaine rules, I'm ironically more afraid of what a mixed Elf list can do than what the Chaos mixed armies list can do.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:05 pm

is that Khaine book out now?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 pm

Nope, Saturday. There are scans of a lot of the pages floating around online though. The special characters are all overpowered and expensive and the combined elf army is awesome. Everyone gets martial and murderous prowess and in addition the wood elves keep forest strider. I think in going to stick with just high elves this league but I might dabble in a few combined lists here and there.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top