Saskatchewan Grand Tournament

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Saskatchewan Grand Tournament

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:11 pm

Can we plan a big tournament for this spring? I'm envisioning a two-day, 6 round tournament with 30+ people. I've heard that people have information on potential venues and whatnot and I think we could probably get some really good prizes if we bumped up the entrance fees. The Alberta tournament was $60 and it sold out very quickly. I think we could do the same, maybe set entrance fees at $40, potentially bring the 40K guys in on it as well to help with the rental costs.

Let's start with discussion but also try to take it past the discussion phase this time around!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Saskatchewan Grand Tournament

Post  N-V-C-G on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Smile I'll start looking around at venues, let you know what I find out.

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 pm

I'm willing to help out with everything that's needed. Location and date are the first priorities, advertising is also key. When Derek and myself ran death or glory back in the day we advertised throughout Alberta and Manitoba with mail-out to every location we could come up with.

Sutherland hall is a good location, not sure what the costs are now though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm

I might be able to help you guys track down some information on the advertising side of things. I happen to work for The Independent, a rural newspaper, and we're part of the Saskatchewan Weekly Newspapers Association (SWNA), so there is the ability to place a province wide blanket classified through us. Our own personal distribution includes a good chunk of central Saskatchewan, and goes as far east as Toronto and as far west as Vancouver, though obviously the further out the coverage reaches, the sparser it gets. We have Wilkie canvased, though. Display ads and inserts would both be options as well. One big perk to going through a paper is it lets you get your advertising into mailboxes that would normally block them due to being unaddressed mail, and is overall cheaper than just dumping a stack of fliers off at a post office (as they'll charge you for all the mailboxes there, even those with the block on unaddressed mail).

I hope I didn't overstep with me basically advertising for advertising services (just a touch meta), but as I'd probably be attending the event on the 40k side of things, I'd love to see as many new faces as I can at the event. I can forward you guys a rate sheet at some point if you guys want. I'll have to wait for Urla to get back to dig up more details on the blanket classifieds.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:45 pm

I think if we advertise in edmonton, calgary and winnipeg we could get a pretty good showing. I dunno how we would logistically though

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:37 am

Well, I posted this on the 40k site and I got a lot of interest. Looks like this is going to happen! They figure they can get 20-30 guys on their side and I think those are the kind of numbers we should be shooting for as well. Advertising happens best when it's through word of mouth but I can make up some sweet posters that we can send out to anyone willing to post them. If you know any Warhammer players from out of town start bugging them about this. Next step I guess is to lock down a venue and date.

I know a few people have been looking into this a bit, thank-you for that. The 40k guys were thinking about using a curling rink, I think a weekend rental there is in the neighbourhood of $1400 which is decent. The good thing about that is they also have tables included in the rental so we wouldn't need to rent those separately. There is also access to a bar facility, we'd need to supply a liquor licence and the booze but it's an interesting option for sure. I'm not completely sold on that though and I'd like to see if we can find something better and/or cheaper before we start putting down deposits on anything.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 am

I know of a hall that is fairly open, and it is not that overly expensive as far as i know. I can look in to the cost of it. It would not have a liquor license but i think that would be a larger hassle then would be worth it.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:51 am

Are gts usually a licensed event?

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:11 am

You bet. They usually take place in large Hotels, in the States, so booze flows freely.

If that's what you meant?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:11 am

Cool

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:12 am

Kuyp wrote:I know of a hall that is fairly open, and it is not that overly expensive as far as i know. I can look in to the cost of it. It would not have a liquor license but i think that would be a larger hassle then would be worth it.

That would be great, and yes I agree that liquor probably is more trouble than it's worth. Maybe for future events but I think we'll have enough trouble organizing this one without the added fun of dealing with drunk idiots.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:47 am

One thing I'd like to do is have a cohesive set of terrain for each table at the tournament. What I mean by that is to have a Khemri-themed desert table, a snow-themed table, a jungle table, a badlands table etc. We can use some of the terrain at the Den and from our own collections but it might be a good excuse to refurbish what we've got and to make some new pieces as well.

Also, how many of those mousepad gaming mats and realm of battle boards do we have in the group? I'm thinking we could be close to 10. I'd love to be able to put one on every table at the tournament but it might not be realistic.

Anyway, this is something that everyone in the group can contribute to if they want. Terrain is easy and isn't too expensive to make and I know a lot of you have a bunch of stuff that could use a little sprucing up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:58 am

I have the goods to provide 2 6*4 tables with matts and themed terrain.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:30 pm

I have 3 gaming mats. And Terrain that I would love to get motivated to paint for the event.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:12 pm

Alright boys, here's the plan. Let's make something truly special. If we plan for 30 spots that requires 15 tables. There are 15 races in Warhammer. Lets make a table full of terrain themed to each army. I had Nathan M brainstorm some ideas for each race and he came up with this:

Dwarves - "In the shadow of the mountain" -Grass/Plain mat
1 Large "Mountain" that borders one side of a table edge with entrance to mine
1 large rocky out crop to split table in the center
2-4 Large Rocks
3-4 Pine Trees
1 Broken Warmachine
2-3 Small rocky hills

Lizardmen - "Temple of the Old Ones" -Grass/Plain mat
1 Large Temple
2 Small Temples with totems
1 Sacrificial Alter
1 Tar Pit
4-5 Jungle/Palm Trees
1 River

Skaven - "Underground Maze" -Rocky Terrain/Brown Mat
5-7 Stalactites
2-3 Cavern Rock Wall Formations for mazing
1 Large Pool of Water
2-3 Statues carved stone rats
2-3 Deep Holes (Impassable)

Wood Elves - "Forest Ambush" Grass/Brown Mat
7-10 Large Forests
3-4 Small Brush
1 Small River/Creek
1 Very Large Tree with Eagle Nest

High Elves - "Coastal Assault" -Grass Mat with Shoreline
2-3 Elven Waystones
1- Beach/Shoreline
2-3 Rocky outcroppings near shoreline
2-3- Forest
1-2 Hills
1 Elven Watchtower
2-3 Elven Homes/Buildings

Dark Elves - "Forests of the North" -Grass/White Mat
5-7 Large Pine Forests
2-3 Large Jagged Rocks (Snow Covered)
1 Small River
1 Waterfall from Rocky Ledge (Corner of Mat)

Warriors of Chaos - "War-torn and Barren Lands" Brown/White Mat
3-4 Large Rock Formations
3-4 Hills
1 Shattered/Burnt Dwelling
3-4 Lengths broken fence line
1 Shattered/Burnt Watch Tower
1 Frozen Lake

Tomb Kings- "Desert Oasis" Brown/Yellow Mat
2 Large Oasis
3/4 Dunes (Large Hills)
1 Pyramid or Sphinx
2 Small Temples
3-4 Waystone Obelisks

Vampire Counts - "Land of Undeath" Green/Brown/White Mat
1 Crypt
1 Graveyard with Tombstones
5-10 Headstones with dug up/broken earth graves
3-5 Dead Withered Trees
10-15 Bloody Corpses/Dead Bodies
1 Fence Line around Graveyard, broken and dilapidated

Orcs and Goblins- "WaHHhH" Green/Brown Mat
2-3 Broken Wagons
2-3 Shattered Houses
1-2 Small Hills
1 Broken Watch Towers
1 Large Circular Arena (Wooden Fence)
2-3 Bodies Inside Arena

Beastman - "Killing Fields" Green/Brown Mat
2-3 Broken Wagons
2-3 Pine Forest
2 Small Hills
1 Large Hill
10-15 Dead Bodies
2-4 Stones
2-4 Large Bloody Patches

Empire - "Town Battle" Any Mat
4-5 Houses
1 Gate House
1 Tavern Inn
1 River with Bridge
2 Watch Towers
1 Small Fort (Center of Town)
2-4 Trees/Brush

Bretonnia - "Windswept Plains" Green/Brown/White Mat
1 Windmill
1 Large House
1 Fence Line for Windmill and House
3-4 Small Hills
4-5 Small Brushes
1 Large Stone
1 Small Creak/Stream

Daemons of Chaos "Bloody Chaos" Brown/Red/Rocky Mat
3-4 Large Creaters
3-4 Large Broken Rocks
1-2 Shattered War Machines
3-4 Warped Trees
1 River (Blood Red) with Bridge
10-15 Bodies

Orges - "Battle of Great Maw"
1 Massive Crater, Center of Battlefield
2-4 Large Rock Formations
2-4 Broken Warmachines/Wagons
4-5 Large Rocks
2-3 Small Hills
1-2 Sparse Pine Forest
10-15 Dead/Eaten Bodies

Now some of these are quite ambitious but if we put some work in I think a lot of these are doable. Thoughts?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:18 pm

That sounds awesome. It would be cool if we thought of unique special rules for each table. Scenarios etc

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Agreed, although it could be difficult to fairly determine an overall winner as the scenario or terrain rules could swing games. That said, we could likely test out some rules leading up to the tourney to make sure they aren't too game-changing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:56 pm

Nathan M and I have been discussing this more and I think we've come to an agreement. Each table will have special ways to gain additional tournament points. They won't determine the outcome of the games but they will add or subtract from players' overall tournament scores. For example, on the beasts of chaos table players will get +1 VP for each standard that is captured up to a maximum of +5. Conversely, if your opponent captures your standards you get -1 VP up to a maximum of -5. It would add some to the games with players trying to get captured standards back or hold back on shooting a unit to death so that they can capture the standard in combat.

Each table would have something that fits with it's theme allowing players to either gain or lose points.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

I like that idea

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Some pieces of news/questions/topics for discussion:

1. Nathan M. and I worked out thematic rules for each table, hopefully they will be decently balanced. I'd like to keep them to myself so that people can't plan their lists around them but I might need to try out a few of them in order to test their viability. If you are willing to help with this please let me know.

2. I came up with a weekend that I'd like to try for: June 13/14. It's a long way off but if anyone has any major objections or knows about any big conflicts I'd like to hear them before a venue gets booked.

3. Do we want composition rules/scores for this tournament? If so, what should they be and how much should they affect scores?

4. I've got some big plans for trophies and terrain but they are going to require some money up front. A lot of the costs will eventually be covered by entry fees but to pull everything off I think some money is going to have to be spent well in advance of any of that. It seems to me that this is the situation we had in mind when we bumped the league fees up to $20 a person but I don't want to dip into that without the approval of league members.

5. Speaking of big plans, anyone feel like taking on any of the terrain pieces listed? I want to have a fairly cohesive look to each table so if individuals would like to volunteer for a whole table worth of terrain that would be ideal, or else people can make a piece here and there but not paint it and then one person could be in charge of painting all the pieces for a table.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:51 pm

I will chime in to do terrain for one of them but i dont know what one yet....

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Update, Nathan M has volunteered to do the Daemon and Ogre tables. I will do the Dwarf and High Elf tables. Only 11 more tables to go!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I can do the vampire counts table and have a snow matt for the dark elf table.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:30 pm

I'll do the green fuzz completely barren field table. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:38 pm

I'll do the skaven board. I can use my barren wasteland gaming map and do up some terrain for it. I'm not going to carve giant rat statues though. I was thinking some chunks of raw warpstone jutting up out of the ground would be cool instead. Rules for units being too close to raw warpstone?

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top