Painting: The battle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Painting: The battle

Post  Druchi on Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Greetings fellows.

So, does anyone else have troubles actually painting your figures? Like getting into the "mood" or finding proper time frames in which to paint?

My main issue is that I love looking at my figs, I have all the intentions and will to put paint on them, but when it comes down to it, I ALWAYS have trouble getting into the frame of mind to actually paint them, and then on those days I actually do set up and start, within like 30min I'm bored, and want to do something else.
Just wondering if I am flying solo on this, or if there are others who also have this problem/situation, and how they deal with it.

Smile

Matt

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting: The battle

Post  blizzard435 on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:39 pm

*looks at all the unpainted models*

Yeah, getting into the mood for painting is sometimes an issue. Usually I find one set of models or sometimes a single model that'll spark me to paint a bunch and it carries over to other figures.

blizzard435

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:41 pm

My painting vibe comes and goes. I usually get into the painting mood more easily when I've got a deadline like a tournament or painting challenge. Sometimes I'll go months without painting and then sometimes I'm painting every day. I wouldn't say I actually enjoy painting but I love the feeling of pride that comes with having a fully painted army and this hobby doesn't get any better than having a game between two fully-painted armies on a table full of nice terrain.

Sometimes it helps to have other people to paint with, we should organize a paint day sometime.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Honestly what helps me get motivated is be part of an army building challenge with a group. Other than that I get motivated by painting a single unit at a time and getting the satisfaction of seeing "my pretties" all finished up. I could never assembly line a whole army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:47 pm

With me, my painting "moods" are few and far between lately. And I really don't know why... Maybe time? Maybe lack of adequate painting space...? All of the above? lol

I know when I see a sweet model, if the detail isn't too overbearing I want to paint it immediately, like I did with the Wight King I got a while back. Or, the 10 skele's I first painted when I started.
I Love the idea of, as Carson put it, seeing "my pretties" all painted up, but then the amount of work it takes for me to get them to my standard kicks me in the gut and it's a serious mood killer.

I want my stuff painted, like seconds after I buy them, and once the nostalgia of newness is gone, they sit in a box.

Another thing with me that I find is that I do work better when I am striving towards a deadline, although I am super lazy, and even the deadlines of the last (or current) painting comp couldn't keep me painting.

I also find that when a model(s) have *too* much detail, I get demoralized... I consider myself a good painter, but if the detail is too much (I know, sounds weird) in the little things (amulets, trinkets, dangly bits) It really kills my motivation... Sometimes it's all just too much for me to focus on? I dunno... lol

There's my rant haha

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:32 pm

I have very big highs and lows with painting. If I'm "on" I paint a whole army in a couple weeks, and I've done it a few times. If I'm off then there's no amount of contests or money that can motivate me - which is ironic as one the things that make me honestly happy is painting in my hobby room. My Sanctuary.

In my hobby room I stopped watching movies while painting as it's too distracting. Now I just put on podcasts (Warhammer, Jor Rogan) or youtube music as I don't have to watch it, I can just keep painting. I'm getting better and getting more into a happy place again with painting so I expect a few more units of mine painted soon.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:50 pm

One thing to add to this, I think my favourite thing to do in this hobby is to plan and build a new army. Thinking up and testing out paint schemes is very enjoyable to me and I love coming up with a theme that brings everything together. Once all the test models are done and the first freehand banner is painted though, that's when the painting becomes a chore.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:28 pm

Painting inspiration comes and goes, and it always will. It's easy when painting for deadlines to get into a difficult cycle of FRENZY painting followed lengthy LULLS. In my experience, there is only 1 way to avoid this. That is to paint regularly, even if it only acheives a small amount in each sitting. If you can establish a regular time each week to paint, this will start the habit that will lead to more efficiency, better results, and greater enjoyment from your efforts.
For example, if you have a regular TV program that you watch every tuesday, turn that time (or another day) into painting time. The idea proposed earlier of group painting is another fantastic motivator that will help you keep on track. Pairing these two thoughts together will guarantee success. If you guys in Saskatoon can get together for painting time every thursday at 7pm, for example, everyone will become better motivated, even if you only get 1 model done in each session.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:16 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top