Experimenting with Dragon Forge Bases....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Experimenting with Dragon Forge Bases....

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:57 pm

Hey, I picked up some bases for an Empire project I have planned for a long way down the road. I wanted to start working on them right away to try and experiment with them. I am aiming for a really weathered apporach and I wanted to try and use s new technique, pastel powder, to try and make the mean streets of Altdorf come to life. I chose Dragon Forge bases cause they look great and I think they're more than worth the price. Also I think with these greatly detailed bases and some better painting on the army itself I can really pick up some points in tournies and stuff. I'll need it if I play Empire ever...

So here goes. I preimed them black and basecoated VJ Panzer Grey. I try to base my models with Panzer Grey, SS Black Brown, or any other paint that has a German military reference RIGHT IN THE PAINT! Then they'll be better organized, harder hitting models in the end. What base couldn't use a little more "Schwerepunkt"! Then I had the color choices. I opted to paint the cobblestones in with GW Adeptus Battlegrey so it was a very slight transition. I didn't bother taking a pic after the Panzer grey, this is after the base coat and the first layer of the GW paint...

The first highlight was a VJ Medium Sea Grey, then I put a little RMS Weathered stone on. Just a little, as I am displeased with reaper paints and will likely phase them out after I am done my dwarf project (whenever the hell that will be!).

So then I had to take the Pastel chalk and make some powder. Easy. I just used some of that fool Stash's old movement trays for a pallete. I say old because they used to be Stash's, and now they're my NEW palletes. Take that SUCKA! That's what you get for getting damn dorrito's all over my demon army book fool! The Pic's are pretty self explanatory...

Then I took some turpentine and an old crappy brush. Hopefully it was one of Stash's old brushes! I just mixed a little so the pastel was the consistency of thin paint...

And on the mean streets of Altdorf it goes....

At this point it looks like utter crap. This is the part where you take a rag, Q-tip, clean crappy brush (Grab one of Stash's if he's around!) and wipe some off. I wanted to leave a lot in the recesses and a little on the stones themselves...

And there we are for now. The end result was about 1/3rd darker then I wanted. I am glad I started this experiment early and I think I will base them with the GW paint (Mixed with a LITTLE paint with german in the title.... WEHRMACHT 4 LIFE!) and go one step lighter on the highlights. We'll see how that looks. Likely I will paint the exterior band of the base SS Cam brown so it nicely frames the model and looks a little more generic so it fit's in a little better on most gaming tables. Hope someone found this article useful. Actually that part is not important to me as this was purely for me baby. With this project going to happen so far down the road I wanted a record of what I did, and this was an easy way to do this. Take that internet! Now I got the net working for me...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Experimenting with Dragon Forge Bases....

Post  Carson on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:56 am

awesome right up......inspirational I might add. I like Empire so much makes me want to start another army. Anyway, why not try highlighting up from where you are now. The pastels are great, I recently picked some up to use as a mud effect on some FOW stuff.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:21 am

Those look fantastic, but I barely put that much work into my figs! And you know how I feel about bases....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:47 pm

I'm all excited about my Warriors army and looked at these bases. To do a 3000 point army is about $300.00 after exchange, shipping and taxes. So, does anyone know an alternative? Scott, could you point me towards a tutorial on C'MON or WAMP to make these bases? (I'm lazy).

I think the new GW washes would have worked perfect on these bases.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:58 pm

If you have greenstuff just throw a piece of it on the base and then take a kitchen knife and press in a brick pattern. Done.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Nathan, you should know better -- that sounds like work! I wouldn't mind a cracked, dry riverbed look.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:38 pm

You can get stuff that will give you that effect. I don't know what it is called or how it works or where you can get it though. Look at me being helpful!

P.S. It isn't that much work, It took me about an hour to knock out around 30 or so 20mm bases for my Bretonnian army and it only cost me the price of the greenstuff so the monetary savings definitely outweigh the time spent.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm still a big fan of the Dragon Forge bases. And they do have a cracked desert floor set you can order.

Shipping is free over 200 bucks.

For every 50 you spend right now you get 10 bucks in free stuff.

Jeff Willhelm (The dude who owns/runs Dragon Forge) is an exceptional guy

So that's why I order from him.

Doing it yourself isn't exceptionally difficult as Nathan as pointed out, but as you have pointed out it does require work which may go against your basing philosophy.

What set were you thinking of ordering? I probably have soem laying around you could try and see if you liked and also try to mimic them with some scratchbuilt basing action too!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I was thinking of painting my Warrior army in an Ivory theme and I thought that the cracked riverbed bases would go well with that. I'm up for almost anything except for the brick pattern. Sorry, but Chaos Warriors don't stroll down main street.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top