Edmonton Onslaught - October 25-26

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Edmonton Onslaught - October 25-26

Post  squalie on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:07 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
Carson wrote:I'm registered.

As a sex offender!

Ha! Nothing for weeks and here's the comment that brings him out of the shadows. Wink

Can we take the van? Mega room is required.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:19 pm

All 24 spots filled. 6 more created, not sure if they are still open are not. Anyone else considering going probably has a day or two to decide.

Onslaught was a lot of fun last year. Just sayin'.....

We should book rooms soon.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:36 pm

I think Don is booking hotel room(s). I heard that there was question whether or not we were staying over Saturday night after the tournament. I'm going on the record to state that I'm not driving my van home Saturday night so if you want to go back Saturday night you'll have to find alternate transportation.

Part of the fun of out-of-town tournaments is the after-tournament socializing. We are representing the Saskatchewan Warhammer scene and frankly we have some damage control to do after the leaving early debacle last time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:07 pm

I think I like feisty Nathan.

Off topic: Is it just me or are you guys having trouble with this site loading very slow the last couple days?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm

Off topic. Yes thw site has been sooo slow to load. Takes forever and i cant figure out why!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:13 pm

Seems to work fine on my phone.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:05 pm

My phone is fine also, but my laptop and computer seem slow - on all invision sites. Weird.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:26 pm

I've had that happen before, when it is in the process of loading the page try hitting the stop button. I think it's trying to load ads or something and hitting stop stops that process and the page loads instantly.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:24 pm

So, when's the earliest everyone can leave on the Friday? Just so I know when to drive up.

Is everyone calling in sick? Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:33 pm

I took the afternoon off so I can be at my house as early as 12:15.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:26 pm

I can be there by noon and ready to leave Edmonton the minute the tournament ends.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Carson wrote:I can be there by noon and ready to leave Edmonton the minute the tournament ends.

Not sure if you're teasing but we're staying Saturday night. Also, lists need to be in by Oct 18.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ready to go time.

Post  N-V-C-G on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 am

I can leave work at lunch. I'll be packed and ready to do at that time too. Where do we send the list to?

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:31 am

Lists can be sent to:

edmontononslaught@gmail.com

Just saw that Fantasy is completely sold out now. 30 players, this is going to be great! Interestingly, Fantasy sold out before 40K.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:34 am

nathanr wrote:Lists can be sent to:

edmontononslaught@gmail.com

Just saw that Fantasy is completely sold out now.  30 players, this is going to be great!  Interestingly, Fantasy sold out before 40K.

Damn right it did! We've been working hard to make WHFB appealing in the Edmonton area. Mainly by being good embassadors to the game, and embracing change, rather than grumbling about it. Glad you guys are ready to embark on the End Times wagon with us.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:00 pm

That's great to hear. I'm really looking forward to it, although nothing about my list could be considered to use the End Times rules. I only have 21% of my army as characters and nobody is using the lore of undeath.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:41 pm

The Onslaught results were posted by Ward this afternoon. The PDF can be viewed from the facebook page here...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/233112763408925/

I couldn't help but observe that out of the Saskatchewan contingent, the new Nathan finished the highest!!!

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:58 pm

Did you guys at least get drunk at the tourney?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:43 pm

Not a lot of drinking at all actually.

Anyone who didn't go missed a hell of a time. I can honestly say the trip there and back was as much fun, if not more, than the Onslaught event. Great bunch of like minded guys getting away for the weekend and I was sincerely sad when it was over. Can't understand why we don't do that more often.

A super special shout out to Kieran for hosting us for the weekend and giving us a place to lay our heads. That is exceptional hospitality and will be long remembered. you will be well taken care off if you are ever around these parts.

So, the event. After looking at the PDF, it would seem like it wasn't that great for us, but there were more than enough good guys that even losing a game didn't seem that bad. Just a regular event with regular scenarios, so the "comfort" level was great.

My first game was against a Bretonnian player that had 2 Trebs, 2 Lances (15 and 18!) and a block of 100X100 Men at Arms. Truly cool to see. My bolt throwers were doing an admirable job of removing Realm knights, when my 40 block of Swordmasters, FLANK charged his remaining 4 characters! I was already kicking ass and he was already packing the rest of his army............but this is Warhammer, and strange things sometimes happen in Warhammer. I rolled an incredibly bad combat, he pounded my poor toughness 3 Elves and when the dust settled....I lost combat by 1. WTF?!?! Rolling a 12 and then an 11 for breaktests had my unit trying to run away, only to be stomped by his pursuing horsies. Crying or Very sad He was a very nice guy (Russ) that readily admitted that shouldn't have happened, but what are ya gonna do? Gotta roll the dice better I suppose. Massacre loss as I could only get his 2 Trebs.

Next game was against a chump, and I'm not even sure why he was at the event. Poorly painted DE army and as rude as you'll ever find. I had a great (very) first turn with shooting and magic that he was climbing back up from the hole right from the beginning. He couldn't pull it off as his Warhammer skills were mediocre at best. Massacre win for me. Any that are curious, that player was our own Nathan Rinholm. He did get my best sportsman vote. Very Happy

Third game against a Dwarf player (also named Don) that stated his shooting army was because he was expecting a lot of Nagash armies (EVERYONE said that, although the armies looked the same to me). We played meeting engagement and the only "1" I rolled was for my general Rolling Eyes . I kept the Swordmaster unit close to the edge so that when my General came on he could just hop into the SM unit and go kick Dwarf ass. But what happened was his turn 1 his Organ gun shot my Skycutter, turning it to dust, which apparently scared the living sh** out of my Swordmasters and General who rolled a 12 and promptly ran 5" right off the table without even taking a wound. Sigh. In return my brave Dragon Princes ran through every warmachine he had like they were Dwarf butter (gross) but it wasn't near enough points to even be in the game. Very nice guy, I was simply annoyed at my stinky luck.

Last game against Lawrence and his Empire army. This turned out to be a very good game and 1 decision sealed my fate for the 38 point difference draw. I, as usual, fell into my ego and accepted a challenge from his Arch Lector with my Loremaster. He had Van Horstmann's (of course) but I honestly thought at the time that our stats were pretty close and my GW would give me the edge in combat. All that did was let my whole unit of Swordmasters fight some regular guys and stare at the pretty horses pulling the War Alter. Bad decision and cost me the win.

4 Games and a ton of fun. I really appreciated the simple nature of the event and it didn't get clouded by weird scenarios and terrian. We could just play Warhammer and have fun.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  N-V-C-G on Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:44 pm

The tournament was awesome, especially for a person with little tourney experience. The people were great and Kieran was a most gracious host. With a whole horde of wonderfully painted models might I add.

The first round of the tourney was a bit of a wash. I came up against an army of Dark Elves led by a fine gentleman named Graham. Wquipped with a moderate force of Fast Cavalry, Four Bolt Throwers, and a horde of witch elves with a blood throne? I made a few (read:plenty) of rookie mistakes, the biggest being not placing my general properly and losing it in the first round of shooting to some well placed bolt thrower shots. And the second and most vital mistake I made was placing my block of bloodletters into his block of Witch Elves, which I know now was a terrible idea. So after his Witch Elves ate my bloodletters, they did the same to the rest of my leaderless army. Squish.

The second round was slightly better. I played Scott, who had a WoC nurgle Army. It was a fairly decent back and forth until my 36 block of plague bearers with a herald went base to base with his Daemon Prince. At which point the large, neigh indestructible, and unbreakable general ate the whole block of plaguebearers. Not soon after round two I positioned my general mid-field and used Cacophonic Choir and soften and nearly level 2/3 of his army. But none of the damage managed to kill any full units so in the end it was a massacre loss.

Round three was against an undead army, and the most polite person I think I met there, Donovan. It was a fairly even battle, I gained the upperhand after dealing 6 damage to Neferata in round one with my Cannon. At which point he closed the gap to avoid being shot, but left her in my cannon's arc by barely an 1/8th of an inch, which then allowed me to charge forward dealing 7 impact hits, wounding on 5. After his general collapsed the soul grinder and two blocks of bloodletters and plaguebearers ate their way to his stone throwers, and which point the match was called. It was a really good game, and a few casket shots or magic phases and it easily could have turned in his favour.

Round four was a simple match against an Empire force based heavily around a Cavalry block with 4 characters in it. My block of plague bearers stuck to his Cavalry unit with Franz, and spent all six rounds slugging it out back and fourth. My soulgrinder held up two units of his monstrous calvary for three rounds, which gave my bloodletters the chance to flank the units. Round two my Burning Chariot flew across the board and used it's flame template on his horde of spearmen? I do believe, and rolled a str 6 flame which killed near half the unit, the next round a strength four roll did almost the rest of it. It was a pitched battle for four rounds, and on round five, when Franz and his champion horsemen were about to kill my plaguebearers and level 1 Herald on Daemonic Instability, I rolled snake eyes. The unit returned, and on my next turn with a Purple Sun large template I decimated most of his remaining army, Franz being the only survivor from his Calvary unit and the block of Infantry that my Chariot roasted earlier. Yet another game where it could have swung either way, but for a few lucky dice rolls.

All in all it was an amazing experience, and spending the night relaxing, and watching gratuitous tank violence was the perfect end to a gaming weekend. Hope to do it again soon.

And a big shout out to Nathan R. who drove both ways and provided the transportation. Very Happy

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:28 pm

Galadros wrote:The Onslaught results were posted by Ward this afternoon. The PDF can be viewed from the facebook page here...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/233112763408925/

I couldn't help but observe that out of the Saskatchewan contingent, the new Nathan finished the highest!!!

Playing Chaos will do that. Very Happy

Looks like I was part of a 4-way tie for sportsmanship.  Game points were responsible for breaking the tie.  I would have been interested in seeing the presentation scores but I can see why he didn't post those.

It was a great time.

First game was against Nagash and his undead legion.  I hung with him for 5 turns and had all my chances to win but then the 6th turn his 12 magic dice found a use and the game swung wildly into his favor.

Second was against Don's High Elves.  He had a great first shooting phase but it was really the magic phases that finished me off.  He killed most of my Cold One Knights with the signature lore of metal spell over the course of 2 magic phases.  Without them I didn't really have a chance.  As always with Don, it was a fun game but after the first two turns it was mostly just delaying the inevitable.

Third game was terrible.  Against Daemons of Chaos with a definite Nurgle theme but with 2 skullcannons for flavour.  I made a go of it but he could have just deployed his army, walked away and let me roll the dice and I would have lost anyway.  To add insult to injury I watched him "bump" dice and then count them as wounds and take a lot of liberties with his measurements.  He definitely didn't win sportsmanship.  After the game he pulled out a joint and went outside.  I guess it was good for him.

Fourth game was against the tournament whipping boy.  To be fair, I guess we were both the tournament whipping boys.  He was a great guy and he seemed genuinely pleased that I was wiping him off the table.  Not sure how I won so handily against him, he was running an undead legion list with Nefarata, a casket, 2 skull catapults and a horde of tomb guard.  He also had some other stuff but in the end it didn't matter.  I tabled him and only lost a chariot and a unit of cold one knights in the process.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:32 pm

After the game he pulled out a joint and went outside. I guess it was good for him.

Serious Lol's.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:56 pm

I had a great time. I ended up with a record of 1-1-2. All of my games were extremely tight points wise. My single loss was against dark elves. My opponent had a deathstar of witchelves with hellebron and a cauldron of blood.....around 1500pts all told. I tabled the rest of his army but couldn't touch that large unit. a win was set at 150pts and he scored 183 more than me.

All of the games were really fun, 3 of my 4 opponents were great to play. I must of had a personality clash with my 3rd opponent because we spent the whole game argueing over rules. Afterwards, thinking about it, I think it was his style of play that angered me the most. He rolled dice into other piles so I could never see what he rolled and did things so fast that I could never follow what he was doing or intending. Plus his interpretation of the rules was "this works for me so that's the way it works".

Thanks Kieran for hospitality.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top