Which Would You Rather?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which Would You Rather?

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 am

Been going through alot of my old army lists and army builds and the same thing keeps popping up. I have a tendency to build completely killy lords and then leaving them at that with not a giant amount of protection. Ive done that in my WoC, Dwarfs and even to a point my Empire. Just wondering which way you guys tend to lean and why? (also trying to get discussions started on this forum!) Would you rather a super killy lord or super unkillable?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which Would You Rather?

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:01 am

I prefer a combination of both.  You can't go fully killy or your character will die too quickly.  If you go too far defensively you won't be able to dish out the damage you want to.

For my armies I use the following combat builds:

Dwarfs - Lord with shieldbearers, gromril armour, T6, W6, 5+W, Hits on 2+, Double Strength vs T5, Enemy is -1 to hit in Combat

Wood Elves - Hero on Great Stag, Light Armour, Shield, Helm of the Hunt (Devastating Charge and +1WS on charge), Asrai Spear (AP), Asrai Longbow w/ hagbane arrows(AP-3), Hail of Doom Arrow (one time 3D6 S4 AP shots)

Bretonnians - Lord on Barded Warhorse, Virtue of Heroism (Heroic Killing Blow), Heartwood Lance (Re-roll failed wounds), Armour of Agilulf (WS10, counts as heavy armour and shield)

High Elves - Hero on Barded Elven Steed, Dragon Armour (Heavy armour, 6+Ward save), Enchanted Shield, Star Lance (+3S on the charge, no armour saves), Great Weapon

Dark Elves - Hero on Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Cloak of Twilight (3+ ward vs shooting and magic, Killing Blow and Multiple Wounds (D3) in first round of combat), Lance

Of all of them the wood elf has the worst armour save at 3+.  He also doesn't have a ward save which is a bit of a concern but that's sort of the nature of the wood elves.  Everyone else except the bretonnian lord has a 1+ armour save (the bret lord has a 2+) and some type of ward.  They are also fairly killy in combat with killing blow or multiple wounds or extra-high strength  or some other gimmick.

My point is, don't go full offense or defense.  Find the middle ground! Most armies have the ability to give their characters a very good armour save and a decent ward for pretty cheap. Then use the rest of your points to make them killy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Fair enough, The Dwarf build is similar to mine when i run a Lord. I think u have a nice middle ground with your lords, and they still seem to beable to dish out the face smashability. (is that a word)

I think it matter what your fighting to, rank and file or other lords? Because even if you have str 10 and multi wound. all it takes is a 45 pt Ward to have a 50/50 chance of stopping the blow. I never like to run Wizards as general i find that very unfitting, we are going to WAR why trust the nerd in pj's that spends all of his time in a tower studying to lead us?! But a Wizard would lean towards the more "unkillable" side of things

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  N-V-C-G on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Kal wrote:Fair enough, The Dwarf build is similar to mine when i run a Lord. I think u have a nice middle ground with your lords, and they still seem to beable to dish out the face smashability. (is that a word)

I think it matter what your fighting to, rank and file or other lords? Because even if you have str 10 and multi wound. all it takes is a 45 pt Ward to have a 50/50 chance of stopping the blow. I never like to run Wizards as general i find that very unfitting, we are going to WAR why trust the nerd in pj's that spends all of his time in a tower studying to lead us?! But a Wizard would lean towards the more "unkillable" side of things

-slow golf clap followed by a Chuck Norris thumbs up-

N-V-C-G

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:24 pm

What I di us largely dependant on what the rest of my army is doing. For example my wood elves dont need a guy running around killing thungs or tanking, I have much bettter units for that and for the most part my wizzard is best protected staying far from danger so I normally dont even both with a ward but I do somtimes.

Lizards I try to maximize on killing power. The characters are fairly hardy allready so most people target the weaker units they are standing beside. Same thing goes when I played ogres and tk.

Empire was a different story because there is just not a good way to make a killy empire dude but enough protection for several guys to be on the feild with 1+ 4++ saves (use to be able to do 3 like that)

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:35 pm

I've always, rightly or wrongly, sacrificed a little hitting power for a good armour/ward save. 9 times out of 10 "Sword of Might" is my weapon of choice.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 pm

Seems like too much out there allows no armor save so for dure a ward if possible but your lord also has to work with the units you take. Also killing blow is still killing blow so make sure you can survive to swing your axe

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:09 am

Don you kind of taught me how to build characters, because every time i army builder Capt Killy Lord i hear this little Don voice telling me he only had a 2+ AS and thats not good enough! lol

I find characters with armor saves kind of useless, i agree Andre to many things that ignore armor saves or reduce them to only being a 5/6 + from a 1+ or just straight up killing blow.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum