The new and improved Undead Legion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new and improved Undead Legion

Post  Galadros on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:52 am

Let's talk about this for a bit. Share your thoughts.

I feel that the Undead Legion change, overlooked by most, is potentially earth-shattering! (At least for Tomb Kings)
1.Tomb Kings can now MARCH within 12" of their general! The feeble movement phase was always the Achilles heel of the TK army. This will certainly make a resurgence of a combat lord in many armies, as the battle line moves with him.
2. There is no more crumbling! Therefore, the only thing you lose when the general dies is your right to march. This makes the loss of the frail hierophant less of a soulcrushing (pun intended) event.
3. Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings can hang out together! Imagine a gunline of skeltal archers backing up your zombie and ethereal stalling protectors. Imagine the magical crossover by using Vampire magic to raise your Tomb Kings at a reasonable rate. Imagine putting killing blow on your multi-attack ghouls. Imagine increasing your zombie WS to 6 by adding a Tomb King to the unit.

All this should be a giddy revelation for both TK and VC players alike. It's like getting a whole new army book release for each of them!

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The new and improved Undead Legion

Post  squalie on Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:32 pm

To play the devils advocate - where does it say that these rules replace the current TK and VC books?

It seems odd that no where in any white dwarf or on the GW site does it state to throw out the old as this is the new. Unless I'm missing something?

Isn't this whole Nagash thing a bigger version of the tamurkhan, before 9th comes out?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 pm

From what Ive read these are rules that are intended only for the Nagash end times trilogy. While they set up some potentially power gaming builds for the undead I can't see them replacing both the VC nd TK books.
Ive seen ALOT of tombkings players arguing that they are indeed the new norm......I wonder why?

As a VC player I can also see the possibilities hmmm.....my current army backed up by a casket and 2 screaming catapults.......I sincerly hope this is not where GW is taking 9th.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:10 am

I'm not sure what to think of the new book. The rumours are starting to sound like these end times books and 9th edition are going to bring drastic and permanent changes to the Warhammer world and all the races. I wish GW would straight-up say what they are planning though. I'm so sick of these "surprise" releases. I know they do it because they want to stay a step ahead of the copycat sculpters but it is getting tiring.

As for the possibilities in the new undead legions book, I like the changes made to the tomb kings, they needed that. I don't like the idea of mixing the two armies though. Call me a purist but I can't see myself combining any of my armies even if future books give me the option to. That said, there's nothing stopping you from fielding an undead legion list consisting of only VC units or only TK units right?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:11 am

nathanr wrote:I'm not sure what to think of the new book.  The rumours are starting to sound like these end times books and 9th edition are going to bring drastic and permanent changes to the Warhammer world and all the races.  I wish GW would straight-up say what they are planning though.  I'm so sick of these "surprise" releases. I know they do it because they want to stay a step ahead of the copycat sculpters but it is getting tiring.

As for the possibilities in the new undead legions book, I like the changes made to the tomb kings, they needed that.  I don't like the idea of mixing the two armies though.  Call me a purist but I can't see myself combining any of my armies even if future books give me the option to.  That said, there's nothing stopping you from fielding an undead legion list consisting of only VC units or only TK units right?

Nathan, that's a very intuitive post you made as it seems exactly like what you wrote in regards to the copycat sculptors.  Although no one on the planet can seem to agree whether these new rules are THE new rules, or simply an "option"... even though they don't use the word campaign, using just TK won't get you anything as you would need to use the VC units to benifit from their presence or rules.

If anyone wanted to pour a coffee and do some reading, here's a link to a thread that Harry (rumour dude) is posting in.  The first post that Harry makes on this particular page could be the start of defining what 9th edition will be and the changes to Warhammer.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?399509-Changes-to-Warhammer-in-2015-aka-quot-The-Spanish-Rumours-quot/page15

Last edited by squalie on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:36 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm a dummy)

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:19 am

Where's the link?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:32 am

squalie wrote:To play the devils advocate - where does it say that these rules replace the current TK and VC books?

It seems odd that no where in any white dwarf or on the GW site does it state to throw out the old as this is the new. Unless I'm missing something?  

Isn't this whole Nagash thing a bigger version of the tamurkhan, before 9th comes out?

In reading the Nagash book, there are several instances (in reference to raising the character %, the Undead Legion, and Lore of Undeath) that use language like 'all your games of Warhammer', and 'not just for the End Times campaign'. GW's intent is to make these things universal. I will concede though, that this shouldn't be universal until this rule set is universally available. What I mean by that is... This is a $100 book that will be bought by way less than 50% of Warhammer palyers. It would be unfair to 'bushwhack' somebody at a drop in game by showing up with 1500 pts of lords and heroes in a 2000 pts game, whilst raising zombies to join your Empire army. The rules presented in this book will take some transition time. Make it clear to your opponent in advance, and try out these rules. If the club finds value in it then it may be adopted as a regular game.
Either that or wait til the next edition to be printed.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm still not sure I'm completely convinced, BUT White Dwarf #30 does remind the Dwarf player to be aware of the rules for 50% Lords, so that seems to give a little weight to this being "updated new rules".

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top