Rules discussion Re: Warhammered 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rules discussion Re: Warhammered 2014

Post  squalie on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:22 am

Ok, so over the weekend there was obviously some rules "debates". These happened in the games I played and I thought I'd bring them up here to remind/discuss/debate them.

These first 4 happened in my first game alone.

1. MAKEWAY. Opponent tried to make way with a character model that was already in base to base with an enemy model at the start of combat. I reminded him that makeway can only happen if his character model was outside of base to base combat at the beginning of combat. I see this one happeneing very often. What people try to is a "combat reform" before combat even starts.

2. OVERRUN. I'm still convinced I've been right about this all along and after the weekend I'm even more convinced. Overrun is a 2D6 movement straight forward, regardless of swift stride (no 3D6), etc. the 2D6 is bold in the heading and it reinforces it in the description. Everytime I saw this played (often of course) I never saw a 3D6 best of dice roll.

3. MULTIPLE COMBAT. I had a unit of Skeleton Archer, 20 wide, with a Magma Dragon and a Manticore in combat with them at the front. My Necrosphinx charged the Magma Dragon to the flank and Heroic Killing blowed the Dragon (the Necro is getting quite the tally sheet). Anyways, in my excitement I went to overrun into the flank of the Manticore and my opponent stopped me. Overrun happens at the end of combat. SO, at the end of combat, my Necro was no longer in combat and could move about freely. Because of this when his Manticore broke as I won combat (seriously, it was awesome) my Necrosphinx could not pursue as he was no longer involved in that combat. Because of THAT, my skeletons, could not complete their pursuit as I could only move one inch before the darn Sphinx was in the way. Frustrating but I think it was actually played correctly.

4. COMBAT REFORM. This is the weird one. In the first round of that combat, the Magma Dragon and Manticore won. When he attempted a combat reform, he took his Dragon and Manticore and tried to "switch places" with them, basically just swapping the models where they were on the table. My eyebrows raised and I asked him what the *uck he was trying to do. He relented but insisted that it was legal. Is there something I'm missing on that one?

I'll think of some more while we chat about these, and maybe Carson can pipe in about some he may have seen.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rules discussion Re: Warhammered 2014

Post  Mhael on Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am

I am with you on all of them but i dont believe in four he is able to switch as they wete seperate units.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:05 pm

1. You're absolutely right on this one.
2. Overrun is a pursuit move. Swiftstride allows 3D6 for pursuit moves. I know that throughout the entire section on pursuing, the BRB only references 2D6, but don't let your mind be constrained by that. In fact, the last sentence under the heading of Overrun states "All other rules governing pursuit moves apply to overruns." Then the very next heading addresses Swiftstride.
3. You played that correctly.
4. The most important thing about combat reforms is that it is to maximize the number of models fighting in a combat, and should be done by the closest path possible. If a model like a moster is already engaged, it could turn itself sideways, I suppose. It certainly could not move away from models engaging it to cherry-pick who it wants to fight against. That action would be mush the same as the making way example you discussed above.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 am

Exactly like Kieran said. The only thing I xan ad is on your third question. The archers whould have had to stop when they hit your sphinx anyway but if your dice roll was better than his you dont need to complete the movement on the table he would have been cut down regardless

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top