Calgary Warhammered event. Thoughts and pictures!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Calgary Warhammered event. Thoughts and pictures!

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm

So, we're back from the Warhammered event in Calgary. 5 games, but we left after the 4th, as we had a nine hour drive to get home.

I'll start by saying that it's a different world than one we're used to; Armies are much tougher as the players bring the tough stuff AND all armies were allowed to bring Monsters from the Monstrous Arcanum. We witnessed quite a few armies that conveniently included a Frost Phoenix or extra Dragons. Double Phoenix was common and Dark Elf/High Elf lists were everywhere. I had a lot of fun and had to remind myself that we brought a knife to a gun fight. Every single table had different themed terrain with a different scenario. Very cool.

I brought Tomb Kings and left with one massacre loss and 3 Massacre wins! I was pretty happy with that, but I should mention that the scenarios dictated wins as battleline simply didn't exist (pretty much) at this event. A lot of great guys and a couple not-so-great guys were there, but a good ratio for a 60 man event.

Our first night was an early one as a road mishap had us back at the hotel gluing my Tomb Kings together from them being turned over in the back seat. Barely any damage and we were ready for Saturday morning. They were 2996 point games and rounds were 3 hours, which gave plenty of time to play and walk around admiring the other armies, chat, drink, eat, etc. Very casual atmosphere and pretty much a perfect way to run an event.

My first game was against a list that I had never seen before; It was a Dark Elf list - with no Dark Elves in it. The Dark Riders were all Goblins on Wolves, with 2 Heroes on Manticores, a Star Dragon from the HIGH ELF book (in a Dark Elf list), a Magma Dragon from Forge World and a Lord on Black Dragon. His explanation of the list was "a Mongolian theme", to which I replied: "no it isn't". "I don't understand what you're doing here as the only thing Mongolian is the odd hat on a Goblin, er - Dark Rider. He also had 4 single Wolves - 2 of which were Sabretuskas and 2 of which were Cold ones. About as Mongolian as you can get I figure... Rolling Eyes 

Here's our set up for the game...and I didn't win. Very Happy 

His Monsters and Goblin...dang, I keep forgetting - Dark Riders

My next game was with Kieran and it was a passionate back-and-forth game. I won by having a found wizard riding on the back of my Necrosphinx, that Kierans Ironblaster couldn't shoot as, as Kieran put it "was shooting Teddy Bears". Insane game and I totally stole it from him. Literally. I have no picture of this game.

Next game was another weird scenario that made it difficult for me to lose. Playing against Ogres, he had a caravan that he had to get to a table edge. He was 2250 and I was 3000 points. I also surrounded him at the beginning of the game. Great guy and a good game. Another win for me and no pictures.

Last game I played (on Sunday) was against a High Elf list that had:

- Tyrion, in a unit of 11 Dragon Princes
- 22 Silver Helms, with a Lord and a Noble BSB, with banner of the World Dragon.
- 29 Lothern Guard with a lvl 2
- 2 Frost Phoenix
- 2 Bolt throwers

The scenario included a Huge angry tree in the centre of the table. If this tree was alive at the end of the game - we both lost. The tree was st6, t8, 8 wounds, 3+, 5++ and did D6 st5 attacks to anything within 6". If you wounded it, it also did 2D6 st3 attacks. On my first turn, I cast Righteous Smiting and loosed 78 arrows at the tree. I only shot at the tree as I had nothing else in range. No one wanted to hurt, but I thought what the hell. 78 shots = 10 wounds after all the saves! way more than I thought would happen! My archer unit then took.....20D6 st 3 attacks. Shocked  After all the dice, and me rolling a crazy amount of sixes for saves - I took 25 wounds, which left me with 15 Archers.

Piece o' Cake. Wink  Because each wound on the tree netted 150 VP's, I was up 1200 points first turn. I angled my Carrion in front of his Helm bus, which he had to charge and got caught wedged near a building. I charged my Ushabti to the front, and NecroKnights to the flank. Cast Righteous smiting bubble and proceeded to remove his BSB and 20 Silver Helms, he ran - I caught and he extended his hand as that unit was worth over 1300 points!

We left after lunch and I was 12th (out of 52 as some guys left) going into the last round, so I'm very happy with that. I'll post after this with more pictures!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Calgary Warhammered event. Thoughts and pictures!

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 pm

Here's a few pictures of some of the other armies. Sorry for the crappy pictures - there were some really nice displays.

The Collosal Squig has a box spider "disguise" over him.

Those are 18 Ogre "Crypt Horrors".

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:43 am

Looks like an interesting time for sure, glad you and Carson were able to go and represent us. How was Carson's experience?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:24 am

Looks like amazing fun Don, glad ure TK kicked some butt for you. we still gotta do a game sometime Razz Dwarf axes get to meet TK Skulls Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 pm

I've seen that same hobgoblin dark elf mongol army and felt the same way you did Don. Kieran and I debated it heatedly and I hate the very idea of it. I also hate just about every counts as army, including Chaos Warriors using Brettonian rules or vice versa.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Ooo sweet burn

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:42 pm

Thanks for putting up all these photos Don. It's good to review them at a leisurely pace.

In other news...
The Ogre tribe of the Sunbeaters are seeking applications to replace the gnoblar loader of our prized ironblaster. He has been placed into a pot of slaughtermaster Gurgle's best gruel. Tyrant Gurg can offer the successful applicant a generous benefit package as part of the spoils from his tribes conquest. This also includes a warm inviting sleeping arrangement with the rhinox Filomena. The two of you will become intimately familiar, as you will be spending most days directly behind the well-fed rhinox.
p.s. You must provide your own earplugs and handkerchief.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:46 pm

So, looking at the tourney results, it seems like Carson and I had the 2 worst sports scores of the event. I find that very interesting considering the sports fill out sheet had nothing to do with how pleasant you were as an opponent....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:26 pm

squalie wrote:So, looking at the tourney results, it seems like Carson and I had the 2 worst sports scores of the event.  I find that very interesting considering the sports fill out sheet had nothing to do with how pleasant you were as an opponent.....

Don't read too much into that. The score is an accumulation of points, and the both of you missed 1 game. There is another fellow that scored less than you who missed two games. If I understand the formula correctly [(max 10 points/game) /2 + best sportsman votes= tournament score out of 30]. This means you both score max on all 4 games + 1 vote for best sportsman. However your TOTAL is less than others because of 0 in the last game.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Dammit, I KNEW I was the nicest guy there! Thanks Kieran for reminding me of that! Phew.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:18 pm

That's it Don, you're going to ignore my sweet, sweet blaze?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:02 pm

My bad, Scott, I was really only paying attention to posts of guys that played Warhammer.

And, Carson is the proud owner of that army so all uninformed criticism should be directed towards him.

Better luck next time!  Wink 

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 am

I had a great time. Very well run event, hats off to Paul Ting, and look forward to returning next year. The field of players were really a mixed bag. I'd say about 50% brought really tough armies with crazy builds and the rest brought somewhat softer lists......but still above what we game with. I did not at all like the inclusion of monstrous Arcanum rules. It seemed as if every army there somehow were able to find and train a frost heart phoenix. I can only recall about 7-10 lists out of 60 that did not have a monster from the Arcanum.

The scenarios seemed fun but really dictated wins and losses. Some games were really tough for one side to win as the scenarios gave huge advantages to one side. I played four games won1 and lost 3. I actually "won" 2 of the other three games on points but could not possibly win by the scenarios laid out. One game involved capturing loot and holding it. I'm infantry, my opponent fast cav dark elves. He took first turn, grabbed the loot and ran away.....well that was fun. another scenario had me trying to destroy and empire outpost. I had to destroy 3 buildings to win. These building only be wounded on 6's that had to be rerolled with another scroe of 6 and then had a 5+ward save.....oh and they also had 10 wounds.....well that was fun.

Other than this though I would recommend the tournament. Food, drinks, lots of time for games and between games and all 4 of my opponents were good guys. Fun weekend for sure but will build and army next year that will fit the environment and expected scenarios.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:34 am

I wanted to touch on a point Carson alluded to, and I'm glad you recognised that only half the field were pushing for optimized army lists. I've heard this discussion before about feeling outclassed at Alberta gaming events from some of you. While it may be true that some armies are fully optimised, there is mostly middle ground. There may also be optimised lists that are not played by competent generals, or tame armies played by very astute generals. This, of course, all depends on what you want from your tournament experience. If you only care a little about wins/losses, then you'll take whatever you're comfortable with. If you want to win more than you lose though, expect to bring the optimised stuff. Remember, there are other guys there who want to win games too! If you keep feeling like you are facing armies that are better than yours, then you're probably in the category of "I want to win, but I'm afraid to admit it". My advice is "Admit it! Then embrace it!"

Ultimately, you have the choice of what to bring to the table, and how you use it. If you come prepared for all-comers and include all the filth possible, you can still choose how to use it. You don't always have to push a guys shit back in if you have the chance to. If you're worried about being a dill-hole with your nurgle daemon prince, perhaps you forget to thunderstomp once you see the game is in the bag?!?! Perhaps you don't charge down his last remaining unit on the battlefield on turn 5?!?! At the same time, perhaps you needlessly throw away a unit of skinks to his halberdiers!?!?!
Maybe I can use this analogy...
"Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, but you can choose whether to shoot for the head or the knees."

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:27 am

Well said, I am the general who brings a gun and forgets the bullets. My skill in all aspects of the game are lacking but I want to game and enjoy the community. My last experience was in Edmonton, and there may be another but I play another miniature game that I do well at and that is the game I would rather travel with as I do well, the paint job is already done, and I don't forget bullets. We like a relaxed game, and when I bring out big stick I feel bad even thou I miss use any strength and it fails but I try to bring a list that does not piss off my opponent and good times by all.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 am

Galadros wrote:I wanted to touch on a point Carson alluded to, and I'm glad you recognised that only half the field were pushing for optimized army lists. I've heard this discussion before about feeling outclassed at Alberta gaming events from some of you. While it may be true that some armies are fully optimised, there is mostly middle ground. There may also be optimised lists that are not played by competent generals, or tame armies played by very astute generals. This, of course, all depends on what you want from your tournament experience. If you only care a little about wins/losses, then you'll take whatever you're comfortable with. If you want to win more than you lose though, expect to bring the optimised stuff. Remember, there are other guys there who want to win games too! If you keep feeling like you are facing armies that are better than yours, then you're probably in the category of "I want to win, but I'm afraid to admit it". My advice is "Admit it! Then embrace it!"

Ultimately, you have the choice of what to bring to the table, and how you use it. If you come prepared for all-comers and include all the filth possible, you can still choose how to use it. You don't always have to push a guys shit back in if you have the chance to. If you're worried about being a dill-hole with your nurgle daemon prince, perhaps you forget to thunderstomp once you see the game is in the bag?!?! Perhaps you don't charge down his last remaining unit on the battlefield on turn 5?!?! At the same time, perhaps you needlessly throw away a unit of skinks to his halberdiers!?!?!
Maybe I can use this analogy...
"Don't bring a knife to a gunfight, but you can choose whether to shoot for the head or the knees."

I mentioned this at the tourney and we talked aboout this on the way home.  At the end of the day it's my responsibility to make the event work for me, not ask the event to cater to my idea of perfect Warhammer.  At first it was easy for me to condemn other players for bringing what I would consider "dirty" lists, but after I relaxed a bit and took the scenarios and event for what it was - I enjoyed it that much more.  It came down to either bringing the toughest lists I can bring and work the event for best general, or continue to bring themed "softer" lists and simply enjoy being there.  I have a feeling I'm going to continue to simply bring an army and just hang out for the weekend, but at least I won't feel like everyone else is playing Warhammer "wrong".  It's actually changed my view a little bit.

I sincerely feel sorry for everyone in our group that didn't attend.  Paul put on an awesome event with food, plenty of drink and pretty much everyone there was a great person.  Very, very casual event that promoted the more relaxed side of Warhammer.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:49 pm

I like the last bit there Don. Makes me want to play again. I might try some Orcs as they are all randomy and I could more embrace the new state of things in 8th.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:09 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I like the last bit there Don.  Makes me want to play again.  I might try some Orcs as they are all randomy and I could more embrace the new state of things in 8th.

My Son, if I can get you to an event - you drink for free. My treat.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top