OctoCon 3 in Calgary!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

OctoCon 3 in Calgary!

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:37 pm

Okay so I have wanted to put something on here about my experience in Calgary but haven't found time until...... NOW... so here it is!

Rob Kuster, fellow GW Grey Knight and extraordinarily nice dude ALWAYS puts on a quality event. Organized like the third reich, congenial as all hell I have never once attended a Kuster event and left feeling anything other than satisfied. There were a few problems I had with the event, but they're very minor in the scheme of such a well run day. Kudo's to Kuster!

So the first thing I want to touch on is the painting of the armies. I am not bragging here but I usually feel that my stuff is generally in the top half of painted armies at events. The quality of this 24ish person event was such that I was def. in the bottom half. That is a compliment! Usually the 40k guys (Who've got much less to paint -granted-) usually shame us fantasy guys but we were for sure in the daddy chair when it came to overall quality of paintjobs. Good job Fantasy guys!

So on to the event. First a disclaimer. I had a great time the night before and got drunk as shit so I was not feeling 100% in the early AM. My First oponnent was Moose Jaw's favorite step-son Rob playing a Dark Elf list.

Round 1- Rob's army was nicely painted and if he ever signs his ass up to this site he can tell you all about his army. It was a basic run at the other guy and stab his head off type army which suited my orc army just fine. I think it was a pretty standard pitched battle type of scenario but I was just starting to sober up about turn 3, which was pretty much when I looked at the field and realized I had zero chance of winning the battle. RUDE! Rob had a Hyrda and a big super scary unit of black guard that struck first and had just too much power for the black orcs and giant I had charged in there. I just wasn't expecting that ASF banner and I lost the game because of it. Had I known the DE book a little better I would have played things out differently and for sure protected my chariot and it's impact hits a little better so I could have used it. Rob cleaned me out fair and square so good job to him. Except one thing.... PROXIES! Rob had proxied his unit of black guard by using the much cooler looking executioner models. Why is this a big deal? Tune in to round four kids!

Round2- I played an empire army run by a nice dude named Rick Jones. For being the Hulks sidekick I was sure able to manage him pretty well. His army had a really, really odd mix of units including a DoW giant and some ogre ironguts. Not much to speak of, I was able to take my infantry and awesome black orc on a wyvern vs. his line of state troops and rock the cassbah. He did kill my giant on the first turn with a cannon and crushed my general with the SAME DAMN cannon on turn 3 but terror had already done it's job on the poor man's. Solid victory for (points both thumbs at himself and pumps) THIS GUY!

Round3- Me vs. Paul Whalen. Paul was an outrider from way back which was the precursor to GW's current grey knight system. Not much to say here as the wierd ass "Magic Flux" scenario didn't impact either of us. Paul had an orc army close to mine in composition and style (Minus the dope-ass black orcs on a wyvern!) and we just kind of went at 'er Rocky III style. We had a draw! I was gonna win until turn 6 saw Paul shoot my general dead with a bolt thrower and my Night goblins NOT rally (WHAT!)

Round4 Me vs Jason (DE). Really nice guy, a straightforward DE army with all the tricks, hyrda, manticore and executioners with the ASF banner that killed me in round one. Not much to say about this except that I hate PROXIES! Remember that I said in round one ROb had proxied his Black Guard and used executioner models instead, well....
So I run screaming in to Jasonès scary dark elf unit but I think -Hey, at least they are not black guard and they will not be stubborn- well, Turns out they WERE black guard. But hey, those were not the figs from round one! What gives man! And there it is. My first round opponent no doubt told me about his proxy (I was far away from the battle in drinky land for the first two turns) but the proxy still mislead me in the final round of the game! I HATE proxies! Sad thing is I do see the need for them. Those black guard figs suck dong compared to executioners but it still cost me bad. I wil get you Rob! Seriously I am 100% Rob as a nice dude tried to make me aware of his substitution but it did not play out well for me. Massacred in round 4.

So I went a dismal 1-2-1 for the day. My fucking opponents did not even let me win the best sportsman either! A good day and Congrats to Carson for his win and to Don -squalie- Matwe for getting his army in the finalist position for best painted.

A good time for me!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: OctoCon 3 in Calgary!

Post  squalie on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:51 pm

Actually Rob Francis DID have the right figs for the Black Guard. I should know as I refused to paint the Executioners in time for the tourny. Laughing I will say that he had Furies instead of Harpies, but that's it for proxies. He would defend himself, but seems to be too much of a tool to post here.

Thanks for the nod in regards to the final painting table. I can paint ok, but I really need to find a theme, build a tray, and go for all out presentation. It just seems like so much work!

Rob Kuster is not what you'd expect and seems like a great guy. To anyone that missed this year, don't do it again -- it was an absolute blast.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:53 am

He really had the right figs? Hmmmm. I was sure they were the executioners. I even seem to recall that Eric was excited to strike the executioners box of on his warhammer bingo guard but we found out they were being used as black guard. Well I'll be all damned to hell. 32 and senile, is that horrible or what?

Sorry Rob! Just to re-iterate that even if he DID have the wrong models for our game it had no bearing on the outcome as I just plain old lost.

Don- Your painting is great, keep it up. The one thing I would reccomend that has nothing to do with how you paint is to alter how you finish your bases. If I recall you've got them finished with a coat of glue and some flock, I would try jazzing them up a little more. Either with some static grass or whatever. Your painting is tops and it's very, very little work to put an extra layer of something on your bases. The warhammer armies were very well painted this year and to make it into the top four is quite an achievment. Stand tall!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B1B on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:17 pm

squalie wrote:Actually Rob Francis DID have the right figs for the Black Guard. I should know as I refused to paint the Executioners in time for the tourny. Laughing I will say that he had Furies instead of Harpies, but that's it for proxies. He would defend himself, but seems to be too much of a tool to post here..
Hey Scott,
As Don mentioned the only proxies I used were the Furies as Harpies. As a side note I had thought about adding some Executioner's to my list but Don was already whining enough about the figs he had to paint for me and some Doom Bull list that he should have played blah blah blah . . . (ducks and runs for cover from Don's upcoming reply jocolor )

np on the BG/Exe write up as you did look a little "foggy" drunken for the start of the game that we had and if I remember correctly it seemed as though your dice had been out partying with you also as they definately did not help the cause Smile .

Talk to you later,
Rob

B1B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:50 pm

Well Rob I guess I owe you an apology, though I didn't rip into you too bad I hope...

And the furies for harpies is no problem as I should exclude my statement about proxies to say I don't mind at all when proxies are used to represent something in a very clear and concise way. I mean, what else could I think the furies were, right?

Things that HAVE actually happened to me in tournies like Kinghts errant turning into knights of the realm etc. really do piss me off. I am a little stunned as the memories are very diustinct in my head about your executioners Rob. It's like that movie Total Recall!!!

None of this would have happened if you hadn't fagged out on the Sat night to come out and get a few drinks in you though...

Well thanks to Moose Jaw for setting the record straight, and I apologize again for accusing Rob of something that didn't exist.

Sorry.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:28 pm

Ya' Rob, quit "fagging" out.

Scott - I have had criticism before about my bases, and you're right, I should go the extra mile. Alex commented about the grass on your Nurgle bases and wants to do the same thing to his Wood Elves. Looks really cool and shows how a crappy paint job can be enhanced by nice basing.........JUST KIDDING!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Hey, no need to call it kidding! The grass thing on my demons takes about 5 seconds to do.

My opinion on bases is that with a bare minimum of effort they don't do the fig justice. Kind of like putting all that work into waxing a nice car and having the tires all old and shitty looking. The grass product I use is from woodland scenics and it costs about 5 bucks for any one of about 12 varieties fo "field grass" You just put some super glue on the base and trim off a little tuft of the stuff and put it on.

My gripe about bases that are purely flocked is they look fake. I want my man sized beasts running around with swords casting spells to look real damnit! Flock just looks way, way too uniform for me. Like their running around taylor field or something. Even if you mix two or three types of the flock together I think the bases will make your models look even better.

And just 'cause I hate the way the way the internet makes people sound like they're being all sarcastic and cynical I just want to iterate again that your painting is great, and I am in no way sending any critisiscm towards you about your models, I just really think you can make a great product excellent with the smallest extra efforts on your bases.

Like Don Cornelius used to say...

Peace and Soul.

I think that's what he said. Soul Train was never really my bag.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  B1B on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 pm

np at all Scott, yeah I was a little b*tch earlier Saturday night but if you ask Eric during our last game I was out to lunch and definately needed a nap. My only defence for that night is that when Don and Alex got back from the late supper with you guys I was up and somewhat ready to give 'er but Don decided to crash early and so not much happened after that.

back on topic
I agree with your proxy statement (especially for a tourney) that the models for a unit that could easily be confused for others like your Knight example or even proxing a whole army for another one should not be allowed. Such as me playing my DE as HE with some conversions made is also not right. However, during house games if someone wants to proxy a unit/model to try it out before buying the real thing then I have no problems with that.

Later,
Rob

B1B

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:45 pm

Scott, I know exactly what you're trying to say. Alex, or even the Herdstone, has told me a few times to pull up my pants and put an exclamation point on my painting by doing the bases better. From now on I will, but I have quite a few models that were done in the old days of "green bases, with GW flocking", so everything won't be uniform.

Rob - Don't think I didn't get the little dig about me crapping out on sat night!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 pm

Thats some weird stuff since I probably heard the story of Robs proxies at least ten times on the way back from Calgary. Mr. Piano Man had a little too much to drink I guess. You know now that I think about it, why oh why did I not have a cam-corder along for Scotts amazing rendition of 666-the number of the beast. u-tube b aby! The only thing that could of made it better would have been a working piano.

Anyway, I guess I'll go now and polish up my trophy from Calgary...........................................

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 pm

Congrats on that trophy, by the way! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Well, I guess I could think of ONE other guy....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Well thanks Don, but sometimes I gotta let Carson win. He drove me, so it's only fair.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 pm

I knew you were going to steal that for the win...

BTW, the controversial Black Guard are the models that I painted for my Sept submission.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Oh snap.....worse yet!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:15 am