General Warriors of chaos questions from a newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

General Warriors of chaos questions from a newbie

Post  judchic on Wed May 07, 2014 12:09 am

So trying to decide on next purchase trying to build a mostly nurgle force (or full if possible).
I like the concept of chosen with great weapons but I don't know how they play out. is there a better option?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: General Warriors of chaos questions from a newbie

Post  Kal on Wed May 07, 2014 12:29 am

*cracks knuckles* alrighty then! First off nurgle is by far the best mark. almost TOO good for its point value, I personally stay away from it, not saying you should. if its the fluff and style and flavor of army you like then run with it RUN! But full nurgle is totally easy other then your pritty much auto include of SKULLCRUSHERS OF KHORNE, srsly. buy one box minimum. i like to run 4. they are just mean. 1+ save tough 4. the mount itself is str 6 on the charge mount and rider weapon skill 5. stomps. Mount has magic attacks so he can take care of ethereal stuff even if the rider can't. Its good stuff. Hellcannons are another one people love. having an unbreakable warmachine that is T6 with a 4+/5+ save. Hell ive had mine gobble up its crew just to chase down a forest dragon once! As for chosen. i still find room to run them but honestly your paying base of 4 more points PER model for +1 WS and +1 to another stat, which since it is unreliable could turn out a dud or just useless, like once vs Slow lizzard men i rolled +1 initiative. YAY for nothing cuz i was already hitting years ahead of Lizards. that being said its all about flavor and what you wana run. Chimeras are MEAN but with leadership 5 he may need a babysitter. but thats where a Tzeench BSB on a disk with a 3+ ward save and rerollable 1's comes in play. flying around keeping him and the rest of the army in its bubble while staying almost unkillable. or just partner him up with a Daemon prince pick a flank and watch it crumble. That being said these are all VERY competative choices that may have your opponent not having any fun. and in this group we area all pritty laid back. So grab whatever models you want to try or just want to paint and go for it. in the Warriors book there are honestly no units so bad to the point of unusability. Dollar wise my only advice would be dont buy marauders, for the cost of them and the amount u'd want to field (min 40) money could be spent getting u to 2500 pts easier. For your special slot instead of Chosen u could try Knights or the ever popular Gorebeast chariot. I love knights pack a mean punch in a small frontage. Its a Warrior on a Horse. I've rambled Very Happy. sry I like Chaos.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Wed May 07, 2014 3:36 pm

So how would you gear nurgle chosen? great weapons seem decent, halberd/shield also sounds tempting...
what else is really nurgle themed in the book? seems kinda lacking compared to the other three gods.

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 07, 2014 3:49 pm

LACKING?! its the best mark ma boy! Um halberds need 2 weapons to use in CC. it is by far the best option. +1 str and you still hit on Ini 5. greatweapons is a complete waste of ini5 because u'll ALWAYS strike last. so dont bother. u can still equip them with shields but since they can't use them with halberds or greatweapons in close combat all it will do is give them a 3+ AS against ranged attacks untill they get into close combat. again these are just my opinions. But keep in mind half the time im right 100% of the time. Wink.

Anything can be marked nurgle almost except Hellstriders and Skullcrushers. so its all about how u paint and model ure figs.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Is there any way we can get board members to not type in netspeak? It's insulting to people reading it and pretty much stereotypes the author.

Just sayin...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed May 07, 2014 4:11 pm

squalie wrote:Is there any way we can get board members to not type in netspeak?  It's insulting to people reading it and pretty much stereotypes the author.

Just sayin...

This is the net after all.... but where is the netspeak?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 pm

If you like chosen with great weapons, something I think could be very strong is using them as support choices. Take 3 units of 5 chosen with great weapons and musicians, and take a warshrine. All three units should get good upgrades (decent chance at a free daemon prince too), and the units are infantry, so a bit slow, but otherwise great support units for a bit over 100 pts. Big blocks of chosen are pretty pricey, and may not perform much better than a block of warriors of nurgle. BTW, halberds in general are probably better than great weapons on chaos warriors and chosen, but they look similar enough that you should be able to use models for both purposes (just make it clear to your opponent).

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Wed May 07, 2014 5:20 pm

looking at the mutalith vortex beast, does it hit 1 model with its power?
and is the spawnchange as epic/hilarious as it looks?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed May 07, 2014 5:31 pm

The mutalith rolls for the number of models hit with its spell. I think most results are D6, and one result hits every model in the unit.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Thu May 08, 2014 2:21 am

how does the 5+ scaly skin effect chaos armor? does it make it a 2+?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Thu May 08, 2014 1:57 pm

judchic wrote:how does the 5+ scaly skin effect chaos armor? does it make it a 2+?

Yes. And you could add a shield for a 1+ save (which still fails on a 1, but still provides a 2+ save against S4 or S3 armour piercing for example).

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Wed May 14, 2014 4:01 pm

So silly question but is it always worth investing in a musician and a banner? they just seem so useful...

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed May 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Musician, unless you're a model that has free reforms (fast cav or skirmish) which can't flee (so doesn't need a rally bonus), you want a musician.

Banners give up extra victory points, and while 25 isn't a lot, it can decide games. I tend to put banners on all my bigger units, but often leave it off small support units.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 pm

so what do skullcrushers and tyranid warriors have in common?
sharp edges to draw blood.

Ow...

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Fri May 16, 2014 2:08 pm

Does the chosen's rule where they get a roll on the eye table get the extra dice from a shrine?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 pm

Yess sir. Shrine + chosen gets 4 dice at start of game. One of the funnest lists ive run did that with 2 small units of chosen

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Fri May 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Is it close to worth trying to farm daemon princes with several shrines? It looks funny but I don't know how well it would work...

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri May 16, 2014 2:51 pm

If I was you, I'd hang out at:

http://s4.zetaboards.com/cotec/index/

Guys there are very helpful and you could just sip a coffee and cruise the site for awhile getting all the answers you need. It's the mothership for Warrior players.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Mon May 19, 2014 2:34 pm

yeah... but then i don't get entertaining answers.

next on the list, flying monsters. do they still follow movement rules or do they just face whichever way they want when they land?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon May 19, 2014 3:00 pm

the rulebook is the best source for these questions

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Mon May 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Looking under rules for flyers it doesn't say anything to indicate they move different. that's why i'm asking.

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon May 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Check the point on monsters and single models. It talks about how they are allowed to pivot on the spot as many times as the like. Thus tyhe would land facing the same direction and be able to change facing after that.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:05 pm

so is it feasible to run an army with only chaos warriors or am i better off taking some marauders?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 pm

Chaos Warriors, Chariots and Hounds are your core. Unless u already have marauder models u want to use for fun otherwise dont bother with marauders.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:49 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top