Wood Elves!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wood Elves!

Post  nathanr on Mon May 05, 2014 5:21 pm

I've been pondering over the new book a lot these last few days and I came up with a really gimicky army that would probably be terrible but could be a lot of fun just to see your opponent's face.

2 level 3 spellweavers on giant eagles
5 units of 5 ambushing glade riders
3 units of 10 scouts
2 units of 3 warhawk riders (or 1 unit of 6)
2 units of 10 waywatchers
2 giant eagles.

In the deployment phase you'd put down your warhawks, eagles and wizards and then sit back and smile. Then put out your 5 scouting units and vangard your warhawks. Then Ambush with your 5 glade rider units! You could have a lot of shooting, potentially 158 shots per turn depending on the magic arrows you give everyone. Magic would also be good with 2 very mobile wizards. It would fall pretty flat in combat but you'd have the mobility to escape most things and shoot the things that you couldn't escape. You could even be counting 10 for blood and glory if you gave a banner to everything that could take one!

I'm not about to build this army, I'm just posting it for fun. I'll post my planned army in the next few days as I figure it out.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wood Elves!

Post  Carson on Mon May 05, 2014 6:58 pm

so whats your take on the new book, yay or nay?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Yay and nay. Forest spirits, especially dryads got much worse, the elves got quite a bit better. It's going to be tough to wrap my head around it . I don't want to field either of the big infantry block units but it seems like the book is geared to take one or the other.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon May 05, 2014 10:47 pm

This army looks like similar tactics as ure DE army Razz

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 pm

Yay for me. things to note though

Glade guard can be silly good im finding but a HUGE amount of points now. we can no longer move and fire for free and are not S4 at short but what we can do is double tap, poison, +1 to wound vrs order/ destruction and flaming for both( different upgrades). or my favorite ones, -3 to Armour saves or no to hit modifiers.

Both infantry blocks are great nothing over the top but good solid choices.

Wild riders .... OMG three S5 AP attacks each with ASF I5 WS5 and then Two S4 from the mounts, not only that are cheap as balls and with M9 and fast cavalry ... they can walk over things

I'm a bit disappointed in the loss of a strength value on all the forest spirits but the point reduction balances it out treemen are still great and i think dryads will still have a place even if they are S3, now have hatred and are not skirmishers. the bad point here is only a unit champ is available.

the new magic options is staggering but lore of shadow will be the popular option.

way watchers are kings. less points than before (not much though) and can fire twice or fire once IGNORING ARMOUR. sure they are still strength three but that alright seeing as when you wound things just die. oh and did i mention the new hero character that has the same ability as the way watchers? not to mention he has BS7 he also has sniper ... so that's long range sniper moved lets say, i hit you on 3's ignoring Armour, your a hero level wizard ? two shots cause you wont have Armour.

Over all i like the new book , nothing is really over the top good or stands out to me as an auto include but not much really seems bad either.

The list i made has ....

Lv 4 wizard shadow i think but have not made up my mind yet
2 sniper characters
bsb on a great stag
3 units of 12 glade guard with no penalties arrows
30 eternal guard
8 wild riders
2 treemen
8 way watchers

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 pm

Haha first thing i saw when i heard about this release was Dom is going to lose his shit over it. Bloody woodies. Stubborn core is very nice.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 06, 2014 7:26 am

Love most of the new models. I've always had a soft spot for the Eternal Guard and I like how the Treeman has a Tim Burton feel to it.

The Jury is still out on the "Elf on Buck" thing but I'm sure, as always with GW, that a decent paint job will sway me.

Nathans' list - looks like a Nathan list, and I actually like how a fellow has a certain build that he gravitates to. We all bring a different personality to the game and it comes out in our armies. Pretty cool.

It'll be frustrati......, er fun playing against it.  Very Happy 

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 am

The way watcher shooting ability I'm sure will give lots of people fits.

Doms list looks very nasty

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 06, 2014 8:12 am

My actual list will look much like Dom's but without the eternal guard. I think the level 4 lore of shadow is going to be the top choice in the list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 06, 2014 9:58 am

Here's what I've come up with:

Level 4 wizard, lore of shadows
3 glade captains on stags, one with the battle standard
10 glade guard with no to hit penalty arrows, musician, standard
5 glade riders with -3 armour piercing arrows
5 scouts with poison arrows
5 scouts with poison arrows
5 wild riders, shields, full command
5 wild riders, shields, full command
treeman with strangleroot
5 waywatchers
5 waywatchers
giant eagle
giant eagle

I didn't want to put the stag-riding hero in with the wild riders because then they lose fast cavalry which is a huge bonus. I'm not sure that the unit of 3 heroes will be worth taking but I'll try it out anyway. They'll get 3d3 S5 impact hits, 9 S5 ASF attacks, 6 S5 attacks, and 3 S5 stomps on the charge so that's nothing to sneeze at. They are M9 too so they're pretty manouverable. With the BSB they even get a touch of static combat resolution so that's nice too. I'll give them the -3 AP arrows too so they'll be somewhat useful out of combat too and I can give one of them the Hail of Doom arrow if I want to really be nasty. Plus with this list I'm only going to have to buy 2 kits of the new wild riders. Once I have those I'll have all kinds of options for this army. I'm going to try magnetizing the torsos for the wild riders so I can swap them out for sisters of the thorn if I want as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 10:11 am

I noticed no one is using Wildwood Rangers. i freakin love those models, are they bad or? what do they "do"?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 06, 2014 11:05 am

They are fine. I'm not using them because I don't want to buy 30-40 more infantry models.

They are great weapon wielding infantry that get +1 attack when in base contact with anything that causes fear or terror. I think they're immune to psychology as well.

They are also a special slot which means they are competing for points with wild riders, treekin, scouts, wardancers, sisters of the thorn and warhawk riders. If I was starting new into wood elves I'd give them a thought but as it is, if I want to play with ranked up infantry elves I'll go with my High Elves.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 11:27 am

Fair enough, that makes complete sense. its all about the different army you wana make. seems like there is alot of choices. cool cool, id definitely rock. Seems like a solid choice because alot of stuff causes fear now adays. but again with all the other special choices that are as good or better why buy more models when u dont have to.  Very Happy 

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Tue May 06, 2014 4:01 pm

I'll be using Wildwood Rangers when I start my wood elves...

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Shiney, Do they have any kind of save?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 06, 2014 4:17 pm

Sure do... Light armour! Which is more than a lot of the army gets.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 4:20 pm

sick brah! watch those str 3 attacks just BOUNCE off their small frail sickly elven bodies. Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm

Kal wrote:sick brah! watch those str 3 attacks just BOUNCE off their small frail sickly elven bodies. Wink

You DO realize how you come across right? If someone didn't know they'd think you had a mental imbalance....oh wait.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top