Seeking coach for learning game

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seeking coach for learning game

Post  Druchi on Mon May 05, 2014 10:52 am

Hey there gents!

Judchic and I are looking for someone who can kinda teach us fantasy in a trial/learning game using our armies.

He plays WoC, and I VC.

I will need to proxy a lord/hero but otherwise will just take the hordes of undead I just recently acquired.

Neither Jesse or myself really know how to organize a game, save for the bit of reading we've done from the BRB.

My free night this week is Thursday, anyone able to meet at the den Thursday to show us the ropes and help us through a small game?

Matt

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Seeking coach for learning game

Post  nathanr on Mon May 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I'm not available otherwise I'd love to do it. This gets me thinking though, we (I) should really get around to planning another small-point tournament. I firmly believe that tournaments are possibly the best way to learn the game.

I had played for years primarily against the same 2 people and thought that I was a pretty good Warhammer player. I knew all the rules and I had a pretty good win/loss record going. I showed up for a Lord of the Night tournament at the Den thinking I'd be a contender for the top prize and got my ass handed to me in all 3 games. I learned a lot though and I started coming out to more and more tournaments and eventually joined the league. I like tournaments for learning because you play a few games in the same day against different opponents and armies. This means you get to see more aspects of the game and different rules come up. In a game between warriors of chaos and vampire counts you aren't going to deal much with psychology or shooting, there probably isn't a ton of tricky maneuvering happening and war machines are pretty much non-existent.

All that said, it is a good idea to have some games and figure out your own army and its special rules before you throw yourself into a tournament so you are on the right track anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 05, 2014 12:12 pm

nathanr wrote:I'm not available otherwise I'd love to do it.  This gets me thinking though, we (I) should really get around to planning another small-point tournament.  I firmly believe that tournaments are possibly the best way to learn the game.

I had played for years primarily against the same 2 people and thought that I was a pretty good Warhammer player.  I knew all the rules and I had a pretty good win/loss record going.  I showed up for a Lord of the Night tournament at the Den thinking I'd be a contender for the top prize and got my ass handed to me in all 3 games.  I learned a lot though and I started coming out to more and more tournaments and eventually joined the league.  I like tournaments for learning because you play a few games in the same day against different opponents and armies.  This means you get to see more aspects of the game and different rules come up.  In a game between warriors of chaos and vampire counts you aren't going to deal much with psychology or shooting, there probably isn't a ton of tricky maneuvering happening and war machines are pretty much non-existent.

All that said, it is a good idea to have some games and figure out your own army and its special rules before you throw yourself into a tournament so you are on the right track anyway.

Word.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon May 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I could help you guys most likely. What kind of points are your two playing at and have you got lists written up and what not ? If you like I could met up there around seven . Just let me know.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Mon May 05, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi!
No, I don't have a list made up yet. Just running pdf versions of the books atm until I figure out exactly whats going on.
I am in the process of trying to brainstorm some kinda list, just not sure what yet. I will have to proxy some models tho as all I have are core choices, and VC *need* their lords/necros or else they fall apart.

But really I just want to learn the rules under a light play test.

7pm works for me. Your name is?
I'm Matt, my friend will be Jesse

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 pm

So 1000pts

This is all I have for models so I don't know how effective it will be but lets go with it.

exalted hero- sword of striking, magic shield, mark of nurgle
12 warriors- nurgle, shield, champion, banner
10 warriors- khorne, extra weapon, champion, banner
10 warhounds
warshrine of nurgle

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 12:53 pm

Warshrine wont help u much tbh. As the unit champs are the only ones who benifit. But it is still tough to budge with a 4+/4+. Id shove the nurgle warriors into one block to use as an anvil to hold up foes because with -1 to hit and a 3+/6+ and T4. Good luck budging them in CC. As for khorne imo halberds the way to go. Ini 5 str 5 and 3 attacks. Its how i run my 21 of them. Mmm. Split doggies into 2 units of 5

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Keep in mind idk what models u have access to atm.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Tue May 06, 2014 1:04 pm

judchic wrote:
exalted hero- sword of striking, magic shield, mark of nurgle
10 warriors- khorne, extra weapon, champion, banner
10 warhounds
Warshrine of nurgle

I have 2 more khorne warriors and valkia the bloody.
Since it's learning I would rather just have a few smaller squads just to see how thing play out. Based on this what would you recommend as a future purchase? I like the concept of the warp beast but not sure if it's good.

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Well just split the doggies. Push the nurgle unit together id run em 19 5x4 with your character (basic anvil formation) and then u can even leave khorne with the extra weapon. Just increase the size with ure remaining warriors to fill ure pts. Problem with extra hand weapons is u get an awsome 4 attacks each with Mark of khorne. But the back ranks only ever get 1 attack. So waste of 3 attacks each. Sry dude im typing on my phone so its not as smooth.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Tue May 06, 2014 1:42 pm

My turn to post my list for this learning game:

Master Necromancer
-Level 3 with Lore of Vampires
-Earthin Rod (? - the one that rerolls miscasts I think)

Vampire
-Barded Nightmare
-Sword of Striking
-Armor of Fortune
-QuickBlood
-Level 2 upgrade with Lore of Vampires

25 Skeleton Warriors
-Full command, Banner of swiftness

25 Zombies
-Standard bearer, musician

10 Black Knights
-Barding, Lances, shields
-Full command
-Screaming Banner

I don't know who to make the general... I am thinking the vampire, but he's just a hero and not a lord (can't afford a lord in 1000pts and not have him suck).
Also, since I don't really know how magic works, I am just going off the internets for picking the spells, but looks like Invocation of Nehek is almost mandatory.

Also, thought about dropping a BK or something to try and give the Necro the Lord of the Dead ability to inflate my skeleton unit.

Thoughts?

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 06, 2014 2:09 pm

That should work, at 1000 points you definitely don't need a lord. Especially because vampire heroes are a good match for most lords in combat anyway.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

would i be better off keeping all warriors sword and board as nurgle rather than the solo khorne squad?

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Dont know much about vamps. But im annoying so im shoving my 2 cents in anyways. Highest leadership must be general. Keep black knights they are gonna hurt on the charge. Kill the movement banner on skeles. Waste of point. He will come to you. Use zombies to tarpit 5x5. Not sure about command on zombies. They rly just tarpit units. They dont win fights. The vamp lord goes in the black knights so bump them to 11 or drop them to 9. Whats screaming banner do? Ok ive decided my next army will be VC

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 2:14 pm

To Jud. No u need some killing power. Not just staying power. Not saying nurgle isnt gonna smash face anyways. Just that BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD. Or in this case Skulls for the skull throne? Run the khorne 6 or 7 wide to maximise ure frontage.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Tue May 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Kal wrote:Dont know much about vamps. But im annoying so im shoving my 2 cents in anyways. Highest leadership must be general. Keep black knights they are gonna hurt on the charge. Kill the movement banner on skeles. Waste of point. He will come to you. Use zombies to tarpit 5x5. Not sure about command on zombies. They rly just tarpit units. They dont win fights. The vamp lord goes in the black knights so bump them to 11 or drop them to 9. Whats screaming banner do? Ok ive decided my next army will be VC

Good points on the skeleton banner
Screaming banner makes you have to reroll fear checks against me ^.^
The standard and musician in the zombies was there because, well, I heard they were good. The std helps CR a bit (not much, but really the zombies are going to fold like a wet paper bag that it could help them a little).
Okay, need to find out who has the higher ld now. I made the list at work.
Is it the general himself that controls the "march" or, anyone? Just curious bc if its my necro that's the general, the BKs aren't going to be within his zone of control (or whatever its called). Unless it's all hero's that can do the march thing... lol.

I don't understand the bumping the BKs to 11, or dropping to 9 statement. What's that mean on a tabletop perspective? I have the unit at 10, plus the vamp makes 11... so... yeah... please clarify??

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 pm

Haha thought that was that banner. love that banner, it wont work on his Khorne warriors or the Warshrine cause they have frenzy or cause fear themselves, but we arn't tailoring lists atm, so cool banner.

zombies will die alot, and at 1000 pts i think VC may be at a disadvantage slightly. but a banner does add 1 CR, so isn't horrible for its points, but if he defeats that unit in CC then he gets a bonus 25 points for "capturing your banner"

Master Necro has LD 8 and Vamp has LD 7, so Necro has to lead. Aye u have a weird march rule in VC and i don't have the army book with me at work so i have no clue about that srry.

Sorry by bumping to 11 or down to 9 i meant the # in the unit so the Vamp will rank nicely. so u can run them 5x2 or 6x2. its not needed as u can just run them 6 in front rank with the vs and 5 in the back, just doesn't look as nice Wink.

Just read what Master of Undead does and id kill the move banner and maybe a music man somewhere to make that fit (as long as you have extra skele models to use)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Ugh sorry, didn't realize how cheap skeles and zombies are. if u remove any command or take the movement banner off u wont have met your core requirements (250pts)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Tue May 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Kal wrote:Ugh sorry, didn't realize how cheap skeles and zombies are. if u remove any command or take the movement banner off u wont have met your core requirements (250pts)

I will play around with my list tonight at home on AB. I am thinking that I can drop the BKs to 9, remove the banner from skeletons, remove the music from zombies (still going to keep the std in there tho bc I converted it and will use it LOL). With the points saved Ill add static models to meet my 250pts, and then see about taking the Lord of the undead. Army Builder will keep my list so it meets requirements.
Does the equipment on my vampire/Necro make sense?

I also need to look at my march rules, to see how I can set up my units so that I am not gimped by lack of marches or being outside my zone of control thinger

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 2:57 pm

This is where experience will help you alot, people generally get character builds in mind that they like to stick with. stuff they find works for them. More zombies the better! the longer the zombies survive the longer the banner stands the longer they get the +1 CR! SCIENCE!

Your necro is a little naked, no protection if u could find 45 pts for a 4+ ward safe they groovy, cuz if the general dies he gets another bonus 100 pts at the end Wink. But earthen rod is fine, save u from an oopsie. and its cheap.

Dont forget the Necro will also have to go in a unit. and can be singled out by enemy attacks in CC.

Your Skeles and Zombies wont rly need to march much, and at move 7 on the BK's marching would get you far away really fast and help flank. but again not going to be a game ender if they cant.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Tue May 06, 2014 3:44 pm

so adjusted based on suggestions
23 nurgle warriors- banner of swiftness, shields, champion
12 khorne warriors- banner, champion, extra weapon
10 warhounds
nurgle warshrine
nurgle exalted hero- sword of striking, enchanted shield
997 with nothing to do for 3pts

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Looks good sir, dogs in 2 units of 5 tho. Use them to keep his knights busy and chasing the doggies Wink.

List looks good tho, Keep your stuff close together and 6 dice the warshrine everyturn (bound spells still get IF with double 6's but do not break or cause a mis cast.) then you get D3 characters so Champ, Champ and Exalted Hero. to roll on the EYE OF THE GODS CHART! (bring paper to keep track of the bonuses u get) and bring an extra Daemon Prince, just incase you roll double 6's !!!! FREE DAEMON PRINCE. Ive built a list around this with Chosen, gotten 2 turn one before Wink.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Tue May 06, 2014 4:41 pm

I want to use a big squad of nurgle chosen but I can't find a good source for models. The GW ones seem so expensive and there are really only 5 sculpts...

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue May 06, 2014 4:51 pm

Aye sir, i myself have about 30 or 40 of them. and i HATE metal models. but they are beautiful.

Crap pictures but i was debating using these as alternatives, from what ive read they stand a touch taller then GW Chaos Warriors

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&prodcode=pl03-pr&prodname=Corrupters+of+the+Apocalypse+with+great+weapons+and+exclusive+Lord+of+Pestilence&mediumcast=plastic&id=118&Itemid=115

http://www.avatars-of-war.com/eng/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&prodcode=pl09-pr&prodname=Corrupters+of+the+Apocalypse+with+shields+and+exclusive+Lord+of+Pestilence&mediumcast=plastic&id=118&Itemid=115

Only thing id say is never order directly from AoW, they suck at getting you your stuff ontime. and I am currently assembling their Dwarf Pathfinders and Slayers and HATE HATE THEM. Nothing lines up nicely, and bad mold lines on all the plastic. But you area playing for like double the amout of figs then ud get from GW for half the price. so might be worth it.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  judchic on Wed May 07, 2014 12:26 am

managed to salvage some chaos knights from when I picked them up for 40k bits (don't judge me!) and it gives me an option for this list as well.

23 nurgle warriors- champ, shield, banner
10 warhounds (why does everyone say run them in 5s?)
nurgle warshrine
nurgle exalted- sword of striking, enchanted shield
5 nurgle knights- champion, ensorcelled weapons

judchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top