If I were to build Dwarfs...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If I were to build Dwarfs...

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Based on a discussion on the way back from Calgary, here is how I would build a Dwarf army and have it be a little different from the usual:

Dwarf Lord
Weapon: Grudge Rune, Rune of Snorri Spangleheim, Rune of Might (re-roll against nominated character/monster, +1 to hit, double S against T5+)
Armour:Rune of Resistance, 2xRune of Iron (re-roll armour save, 5+ ward save)
Talisman:Rune of the Furnace (immune to fire attacks)
Shieldbearers
Shield

Thane
BSB
Banner: Master Rune of Stromni Redbeard, Strollaz's Rune, Rune of Guarding (+1CR to all units within 12", all units within 12" get to make a regular move before the game, 5+ ward for BSB)

20 Longbeards
Full Command
Banner: Master Rune of Grugni (5+ ward save for units within 12" against shooting and magic missiles)

20 Warriors
Full Command

20 Warriors
Full Command

12 Ironbreakers
Musician

12 Ironbreakers
Musician

Bolt Thrower
Engineer
Engineering Runes: Rune of Burning (flaming attacks)

Bolt Thrower
Engineer
Engineering Runes: Rune of Burning, Rune of Penetrating (flaming attacks, +1S)

Bolt Thrower
Engineer
Engineering Runes: Rune of Burning, Rune of Seeking, Rune of Penetrating (flaming attacks, +1 to hit flyers, +1S)

Bolt Thrower
Engineer
Engineering Runes: Rune of Burning, 2xRune of Penetrating (flaming attacks, +2S)

So the Ironbreakers go in front of the army, in a nice wide line, maybe with a bit of overlap.
The rest deploys shoulder to shoulder, with the Bolt Throwers going in places with good avenues of fire.

After that, just march those buggers forward as fast as you can.

It would utterly fail against a lot of different armies (Wood Elves, Daemons), but I think it would be big fun against lots of other armies.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If I were to build Dwarfs...

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:18 pm

I still think it's no good....

Your sacrificial ironbreakers are too expensive to be sacrificial. 4 Bolt throwers is great, but they will probably get magic'ed or killed by flyers/fast cav. Moving forwards AND protecting your flanks is impossible at 6" march rate.

I will likely have enough models for you to try this list out though. Towards the end of the army comp you can always try and take them for a spin and see how it fairs.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I think that would be rather cool of you.

I realize it's pretty "out there" and flanks will be a big problem, but I figure with a refused flank deployment I'll only have to worry about one side, and really, how much do Dwarves have to worry from a flank charge anyways? I always bounce right off the buggers no matter which side I charge against.

I don't expect it to be the best way to play Dwarves, but I think it's certainly something different, and might even be viable against certain specific circumstances.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:33 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:I think that would be rather cool of you.

I realize it's pretty "out there" and flanks will be a big problem, but I figure with a refused flank deployment I'll only have to worry about one side, and really, how much do Dwarves have to worry from a flank charge anyways? I always bounce right off the buggers no matter which side I charge against.

I don't expect it to be the best way to play Dwarves, but I think it's certainly something different, and might even be viable against certain specific circumstances.

What I LOVE about dwarfs is LD 9 always gives you a chance....

I have not played them at all in 7th ed. Armies I always had troubles against were VC/TK as dwarfs never put out a lot of punishment and getting autobroken always sucked. Demons will be just as mean, but not as likely to outnumber. Flanking demon units will be a problem when hitting single ranks or warmachines.

I will for sure have those models ready to go. probably sooner than later.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:24 am

I think the benefits of this strategy are that the whole block:
is Ld10 from the Lord
gets to re-roll panic
has a 5+ ward save against shooting and magic missiles
re-rolls break tests
gets +1CR from the BSB

What if I made the Ironbreakers into a single unit of 20 with full command, and Rune of Stoicism and Ancestor Rune (double unit strength, and for one use they are Stubborn for a break test on a 4+).
I can run this unit in a big line in front of my other dudes, and then re-form when it is time to get in some fighting. This would give me another big block, and perhaps let the warrior unit on the non-refused flank cover that flank more effectively.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:35 am

So if your opponent deploys 11" onto the table you get a charge on turn 4, maybe turn 5. Can you do enough in 2 turns to win the game? What about magic defence? If I was going to build an "in your face" army like this I would definitely try a unit of rangers (they could get a scout deployment AND a free move) and a unit of miners. I don't really see what the ironbreaker units are going to do for you. I understand you're using them as a sort of missile screen, but aren't they too expensive for that? Isn't it better just to bulk up your units of warriors a bit, or accept that you might lose an infantry block to shooting/magic? You'll have to maneuver those units of ironbreakers out of the way before you charge, and that can be tricky for dwarves. If you just charge with the screen, they might stay engaged for a round and then you might not get a "real" charge at all. I guess an anvil could be interesting in this sort of army too, but it's a lot of points. I think this sort of army could work, and I definitely intend to tinker with a similar idea. Good luck!

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:51 am

Fear isn't much of an issue with dwarfs anymore, you have hammerers led by a lord which become immune to fear and terror, you have the magic standard that gives you double unit strength (lets see you outnumber my block of 25 now!) and you have the standard that gives you fear. With those runes you can ensure that your key infantry blocks won't auto-break.

I like the list and in my experience dwarf artillery crews (especially when joined by an engineer) can handle most flyers/fast cavalry. I would add 2-4 more bolt throwers in my own army if I could justify buying more dwarf models (I have several boxes still unpainted)! If you are concerned about protecting your war machines, you could put a slayer character in among the war machines.

I also have enough dwarf models that you could put together this army and try it out if you want (you would need to find 2 more bolt throwers and engineers though).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:17 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top