First Ever Dwarf Army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

First Ever Dwarf Army

Post  Tim Miller on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 am

Hey fellas! I'm just putting together a Dwarf army for the first time and looking for a little feedback. Have you experience playing Dwarves? Or have you played against them a bunch and know what you hate to see? Here's the list:

Dwarf Lord Shieldbearers Double Handed Weapon Rune of Stone (for a 1+ armour save) 181

Thane Army Standard Bearer Master Rune of Gromril Rune of Resistance (1+ armour save with reroll) 140

Runepriest Master Rune of Balance (steal a power die) Rune of Stone Double Handed Weapon Shield 131

Runepriest 2X Rune of Spellbreaking (dispel scroll) Rune of Stone Double Handed Weapon Shield 131

20 Longbeards Full Command Shields Double Handed Weapons 305

20 Warriors Full Command Shields 205

10 Thunderers Musician Shields 155

10 Quarrellers Musician Shields 125

5 Miners 55

Cannon 90

Grudge Thrower Rune of Accuracy 105

Bolt Thrower Engineer Rune of Penetrating 85

Total: 1998 points

So, 7 DD with -1 power to my opponent and 2 scrolls. No rare choices (I do own a flame cannon and would like to try it at some point). A fair bit of shooting, but not too much. I don't think anyone could complain about the army being "too shooty". Am I allowed to take two identical bolt throwers, or do I have to add a rune to one of them because of the rule of pride? I could add the Rune of Burning to one and drop the Miners (they're just for fun) and give the Longbeards a magic stick or something. Or I could tool up my lord a little more. What do you think?

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First Ever Dwarf Army

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:48 am

Looks OK, my army is very similar.

I would reccomend Losing the miners to tool up your units with runic banners, and yes you may NOT have two identical runic items, one of the bolt throwers must be changed. Your lack of a rare choice should keep your opponents from complaining about shooting.

I don't think you can call on the miners for much of anything. As you say, they're just for fun. But dwarf fun is a different kind of fun and anything that thinks they can jump about the field all nimbly-bimbly better stand up straight and get back on the friggin' line!

Looks okay, you should have succes! I think shortly you'll find you choose to swap one of the runepriests for something else (Fighter character, more runes etc.) as you may just have TOO much magic defense.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am

I like the list too. It is a rare dwarf army that doesn't include a unit of ironbreakers though. Scott has said pretty much everything that needs saying about the army. I also think that after a few games you will be tooling up your lord. My favorite rune combo for the lord is this:

Armour:
Rune of stone (with the shieldbearers this brings him to a 1+ armour save)

Weapon:
+1 to hit rune
Great weapon master rune
Double strength vs T5+ rune

Talisman:
4+ ward save master rune

With this combo and leading a unit of hammerers he isn't going anywhere (stubborn hammerers), he is hard to kill (1+ AS and 4+ WS), and he hits anything WS6 or less on a 2+ and wounds everything (From goblins to Dragons) on a 2+. Granted he is a huge point sink but he can go toe to toe with anything in the game.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:06 am

I actually disagree with Nathan on this one. Nobody picks a fight with a dwarf lord anyway, and if they do they usually are rocking enough firepower to kill the lord no matter what he's packing (Great Unclean One tooled up, VC Lords, Chaos Lords etc.). At movement 3 your opponent will avoid your lord, unles they're awful and then it IS real fun to squash them like turds!

My prefered combo on a dwarf lord if the ASF, +1S, +1A, combo so he can deal a lot easier with enemy infantry or heavy cav (5 attacks at -2 AS and going first might trim down one or two chaos knights).

I'd rather spend the points on runic banners where you can, and tool up your non lord characters as from my personal experience they see a lot more action then your lord.

Just my 2 cents, the beauty thing about the dwarf list is you can switch your runes out each game and with a few simple twists it feels and plays very differently from the last list you played.

Bottom line Tim, get your shit put together and start playing sucka.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:50 pm

How about this for a Lord:
Weapon:
Grudge Rune (re-roll to hit against nominated character or monster)
Rune of Might (double S against T5+)
Rune of Snorri Spangelheim (+1 to hit)

Armour
Rune of Resistance (re-roll armour save)
2x Rune of Preservation (5+ ward save)

So on the Shield Bearers with a shield he's got a re-rollable 1+ armour save, a 5+ ward and can whack down the big things that normally pack enough heat to think they can take on a Dwarf Lord.

Should come out ahead in a bout with a Bloodthirster (as long as you have combat resolution on your side).

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:59 pm

I think you still have to publicly declare the target of your grudge rune, and there's no saying the bloodthirster won't hit your flank or avoid the lord.

I still feel tooling up your lord is FUN, but not the way to victory. You don't get to pick who your lord ends up fighting the same way you do with other scary characters.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:07 pm

I can only take 2 magic sticks. If the Thane takes one he's pretty easy to kill. The longbeards can take one, but they should win most combats anyhow (they'd better!). What about the 5+ ward save to all units within 6" from shooting and magic missiles? The longbeards will be centrally located anyway to quell panic. It will give a bit bigger edge against other shooting armies and allow me to mostly ignore magic missiles, helping out in the magic phase as well.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:12 pm

Longbeards with a character will help you win combats, but if you give them a banner it free's up your deployment so youre lord can sit in one of your weaker warrior blocks. I like giving them double US (Keeps you from autobreaking vs. fear causers) and +1 CR. NOW they're safe...

I don't like the 5+ ward vs shooting as I don't think your configuration needs to worry about counter fire. You will be in charge of the shooting phase my friend. Re-rolling panic at LD 9/10 is all the defense you'll likely need.

You don't need magic on the BSB for a standard. naked is good enough. Fitting him with the config you've got will keep him from being killed by the casual opponent (which is good) but he's still going down vs. a committed hth character.

I got to get painting my dwarfs man.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:00 am

Dwarf Lord Shieldbearers Double Handed Weapon Rune of Stone (for a 1+ armour save) 181

Thane Army Standard Bearer Master Rune of Gromril Rune of Resistance (1+ armour save with reroll) 140

Runepriest Master Rune of Balance (steal a power die) Rune of Stone Double Handed Weapon Shield 131

Runepriest 2X Rune of Spellbreaking (dispel scroll) Rune of Stone Double Handed Weapon Shield 131

20 Longbeards Full Command Shields Double Handed Weapons Run of Stoicism (double unit strength) 330

10 Thunderers Musician Shields 155

10 Quarrellers Musician Shields 125

Cannon 90

Grudge Thrower Rune of Accuracy Rune of Penetrating 130

Bolt Thrower Engineer Rune of Penetrating Rune of Burning 90

Total: 1998 points

Maybe I'll try this one. The strength 5 stone thrower intrigues me. The bolt throwers are legal, and the longbeards have a magic stick.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:16 am

Your army looks good. I have a partially assembled dwarf army as well as a decent ogre army and match them against each other when I find time. I like to take oath stones in a couple units (no flank tests as unbreakable) miners with blasting charges and prospector are effective and I have yet to use an army with ironbreakers as I add characters to my units. My dwarf army is built knowing they will fight ogre and vice versa so my choices may not work in all situations. If you want to try your dwarfs against my ogres send me a pm.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:24 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top