Sean's Dwarf Army

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sean's Dwarf Army

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:40 am

Hi guys! I figured since i am actually starting this army from complete scratch that id do my very FIRST army blog Very Happy! So ill be posting some pics and starting some stuff from there. So here goes nothing! Plan on doing atleast one update a week! No idea on a colour scheme yet, thinking about Blue/red or Purple even. and trimming in either gold or silver for either colour... its driving me quite mad not knowing.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sean's Dwarf Army

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm

I'm going with a blue red myself. Just do up a sample mini and see if it feels right to you. If not, switch schemes. Good luck!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I might recommend that you do 3-5 models in differing colours schemes to start. I did this with my Empire army years ago, and with Lizardmen too. Sure you're spending a bit of time up front doing some models that you're going to re-paint later, but this allows you to see some possibilities. You'll also get to experience the ease of painting each colour combo, and this may factor into your army-wide decision.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Galadros wrote:I might recommend that you do 3-5 models in differing colours schemes to start. I did this with my Empire army years ago, and with Lizardmen too. Sure you're spending a bit of time up front doing some models that you're going to re-paint later, but this allows you to see  some possibilities. You'll also get to experience the ease of painting each colour combo, and this may factor into your army-wide decision.

This is going to be my go to move from now on. I usually do a mini, decide if I like it, then proceed or scrap it. If I tell myself I am going to do some experiments first no matter what I think I'll end up happier. Good tip Kieran!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:48 pm

Awsome idea guys thanks! Will do the some test models. one in each of the schemes i wana. How do you think a Purple and Silver army would look? i would like to see your test models Scott. the red and blue i think will look very good. but i already have red and blue empire and red and metal WoC.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:39 pm

My imagination tells me purple and yellow could be a refreshing look for dwarfs. It will also take you away from red for a while. Perhaps this photo can inspire you...

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:46 pm

Hmm. No yellow. But i must look into this this matter more... Hrm hrm hrm.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:06 pm

I really appreciate all the input boys. lets see how this army turns out!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:45 pm

When I started my High Elf army I did up a test model from each of my planned units to make sure that I liked the color scheme and could make it work across the whole army. I definitely recommend doing that. With my dark elves I only did a cold one knight so now each time I start a new unit I have to figure out what parts to paint what colors. Luckily I don't have too many unit types.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:03 pm

If i do rangers in my army i think ill end up with a green cloak... Or possibly grey depending on what terrain im wanted to show them scouting in. Ironbreakers should be a bit flashier considering their high rank. And longbeards.... Should have beards...

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:36 am

Here are 10 bases for my first 10 long beards.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 am

Those look great!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:56 am

Those do look good!

Where did you get them?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:24 am

Thanks Guys!!! but they look too cool. and now im just going to cover them all up with a short round dwarf.... or can i play ghost dwarves? or even better! put them all on those plastic flying sticks and have FLYING DWARVES!!!

Don - I got them from a site Nathan reccomended Dragon Forge i think is the site. They werent exactly cheap but i rly like them. only think kinda annoying is they have flat bottoms so im going to have to drill a little hole for magnets .... i cant see a way around that

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 am

I have those exact same bases for my planned dwarf army........you bastard

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 am

Carson wrote:I have those exact same bases for my planned dwarf army........you bastard

Sorry Sir. Blame Nathan! he is the one who showed me them.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Haha I'm doing something similar but for Dark Elves, I guess great minds really do think alike.

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:38 pm

Ok so been working on my dwarfs this last week. First thing is in person I love the gyrocopter a lot more then I thought I would. its not as spacey as I thought it might be. While building my Longbeards I realized that I wanted them to have HW+S but I rly didn't love the model's HW's provided. what I loved so much about the Longbeard kits was the GW axe heads and handles. so after some chopping and slicing to modify some of the GW into HW's ive come up with these. its a lot more time consuming but I rly like the GW axes. what do you guys think? are these passable? keep in mind figs arnt 100% done yet and my camera sucks. Lemmie know Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am

The models are incredibly detailed. The oversized axes may seem a bit cumbersome but with the shields it passes grade for wysiwyg.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:26 am

I was more trying to mimic the picture of the longbeard from the book. he is swinging that massive axe around with a shield. just looks SOOO awsome. I had first feared the size of the axes but they rank together quite nicely if i do it properly.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am

I like it. This way if you decide later on that you want to try them with great weapons you have that option as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am

Ok, so its been a while since ive updated. couple reasons, one my sister is out here from ontario to help my mom move BACK to ontario lol. and i am currently looking for a new place to live and getting ready for moving. So thats reason one. and reason two is i bought myself 20 AoW Slayers and 20 AoW Pathfinders (Rangers) because i hate metal slayers and i wanted my rangers to look very rangerey... But these little buggers are SOOO hard to put together. Great weapons always give me trouble lining them up but the AoW stuff is so much worse. i can see why we pay the extra for the quality of Games Workshop. I like the overall idea of the AoW figs but i can not see how the backpacks and arms are all going to line up seemlessly. so ive gotten like 18/20 Slayers done and only 2/20 of the Pathfinders. So that was a long winded and pointless update. but its my PROJECT BLOG, so I DO WHAT I WANT!  Very Happy 

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:31 am

So these are my first two attempts at a colour scheme for my Dwarfs. Keep in mind these arnt 100% complete yet. just kinda wanted the basic colours down. (altho with metal encased dwarfs there isn't a lot else left to paint differently lol) I also had rear pictures but for some reason they wouldn't upload. So yeah lemmie know what you all think.

Thanks!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 am

I like them both, the red toned one catches my eye more though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:21 am

I agree. I was partial to the "blue" one in the begining but i think thats just cuz i hate gold paint. So many choices! Or i could go red and silver and blue and gold for my ironbreakers

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top