Feathered Things!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feathered Things!

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:34 am

Ok i should really just start one thread called Sean needs freakin help at painting. but this time! THIS TIME! i need to know what colors and how does one paint stuff like Pegasuses...s and Demi gryphs. the feathery parts mostly. what paint colours should i buy? Also whats a good way to colour metal. can i paint ironbelcher and then wash it with a coloured wash? thanks

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Feathered Things!

Post  Planes on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 am

I can't speak much about feathers, as that's something I'm going to have to learn how to deal with in the next year or so.

Metallics, on the other hand, I have some experience with. There's a few different ways you can tackle colouring metals, depending on how much colour you want.

The first is to blend the colour straight into the metal you're using as a base. I'd recommend using one of the purer metals (such as Runefang Steel) as Leadbeltcher is already blended in with black. If you need to bring it back down after applying it, you can always hit it with a wash of Nuln Oil.

If you're looking for just a touch, then a wash would probably be the way to go, though you'll see a lot more of the effect down in the nooks and crannies than on the surface itself.

A middle ground between these two would be to bust out a transparent paint, such as one offered from this line: https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?CATEGORY=GOLDEN_HIGH_FLOW_ACRYLIC
I've found they they apply nice and evenly while still letting the layer underneath show through. It doesn't run away into all the little corners and cracks on you, leaving you plenty of room to work with.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 am

Feathers are generally pretty easy to start out - they're highly textured so perfect for drybrushing. Probably don't want to go too crazy on a pegasus or demigryph, but feathers can have some pretty wacky patterns (look at pictures of feathers online).

Here's a guide that covers painting some pretty simple, but not totally basic feathers:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/02/wfb-hobby-painting-fur-and-feathers-pt.html

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:29 am

Feathers are generally fairly easy. When I was painting a bunch of wings for my bretonnian army I started out painstakingly painting each feather very precisely. I thought it looked good but it took forever. After doing the first set that way I quickly drybrushed a second set and showed the two to my wife and asked which ones looked better. She picked the drybrushed set.

I've found that the new sculpts with feathers don't have as much texture as the older stuff though so I'd suggest trying to find some sort of middle ground. Start with a base color a little darker than what you are wanting to end up at, graveyard earth is a good one for white or cream color wings, then drybrush with subsequently lighter colors in the direction of the feathers so that you keep some of the base color at the base of the feathers. You can hit it with a wash afterwards as well if you want more definition but I'd always finish with a very light drybrush or edge highlight of your lightest color to really make the edges pop.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 am

Don't go out and buy new paints!

With textured surfaces Nathan has some good advice there. It'll look good, and it'll be quick!

Metal is easy. Treat it like you would any other paint for starters. Do your basecoat and then shade it with whatever diluted colours you like. When I am doing steel colours I use olive drab, rusty orange, light blue, purple, and black. You really can't go wrong. Keep your paint thin and your layers applied sparingly and thin (don't let them pool up like when applying a traditional wash you should aim for a more controlled glazing) and you'll be fine. And if it looks like ass, paint over and try again or move on. Simples!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 pm

What do you mean don't go buy new paint? jw

Thanks guys! ill have a look and try some stuff out tonight when i get home. Helpful as always !!!!  Very Happy 

Sounds like the metal is going to be easy enough for me. and drybrushing wings will be a tad trial and error.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:30 pm

Kal wrote:and drybrushing wings will be a tad trial and error.

I'd look up guides for drybrushing if you're not confident beforehand. Drybrushing should use a lot less paint than you think (or at least way less than I used to think). Add paint to brush, then wipe most of it off on a paper towel, then you lightly brush with surprisingly little paint coming off, but it has a great effect on heavily textured models.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Metals are definitely my weak point. Lately I've been experimenting with adding washes and I've had some success. Scott is right about washes pooling if you use too much, I get around that by using more so that the whole thing is pooled! Razz  His approach of using less is definitely the more proper way to do it, if you take the time to do several thin layers it will always look better than a single thick layer.

My go-to colors for metal are Boltgun Metal with Mithral Silver highlights (easy to do but it looks like it was easy to do). I often follow that up with a black or devlan mud wash to really get into the edges and recesses and if I really want an edge to pop I'll lightly dust it with pure white.

I find it tough to get gold to look good, my best results were achieved by using lots and lots of devlan mud to give it some depth in the shadowed areas. With my dark elves I used a yellow wash over boltgun metal to get a yellowy metalic, shaded with devlan mud, and then edge highlighted with a pale yellow color.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 pm

Kal buy as much new paint as you want, I just mean don't go out and buy some golden transparent paint or whatever to try and shade stuff. Thin down what you've got, it'll be fine.

And metals are NOT easy. Convincing metals are take a long time to do well. The kind of time someone usually doesn't invest in a tabletop mini. As I am working on some dwarfs now it's a tad frustrating.

Just keep at it, post pics of progress mini's not just finished stuff and you'll get some good specific advice.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Ah thanks Scott. I just dont have alot of colours yet thats all. But ill water what i can down before i go grab new stuff. I have a bad habit of putting stuff in straight from the pot. Metal is hard. Mine always look bad. Which sucks cuz my armies are mostly metal. WOC dwarves Empire Knights haha.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Kal wrote:I have a bad habit of putting stuff in straight from the pot.

Boo! Hiss! Wet-pallets, man. You can make yourself one for about $3, and they're amazing.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:41 pm

I have one of those. Its just alot of work to get up and get water sometimes man!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top