Dark Elf Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood-Counts towards rank bonus?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dark Elf Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood-Counts towards rank bonus?

Post  Maeson on Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 pm

Greetings,

I am wondering what the general opinion is on wether or not a Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood would count towards the rank bonus of the unit it is commanding. As far as I can tell it counts as being a character on a mount, but the Will of the Gods rule says that the COB itself(not the Death Hag) does not count as being a character, but can only leave and join units like one.

Have any of you guys had any problems with this yet, or has this issue come up already? I want to make sure I am not playing my Witch Elves with the COB in the wrong way.

Thanks for any insight.

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dark Elf Death Hag on Cauldron of Blood-Counts towards rank bonus?

Post  decker_cky on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:01 pm

It counts to rank bonus. It's covered under different sized bases on p.98 of the rulebook.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan.A. on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 pm

But, what happens if the unit in question is a bloodwrack shrine?

The cauldron would count for rank bonus because it's the mount of a character, and therefore the rules are specific in the rulebook. However the bloodwrack shrine has no character mounting it, and in the Dark Elves book the Will of the Gods rule only says that the model can join and leave units like a character, but isn't considered a character in any other respect. Would the bloodwrack shrine then NOT count towards a rank bonus?

Nathan.A.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:50 pm

There's no clear rule, but I'd count it still. I'd do the same thing with skink units with kroxigors in them (not sure if their rule covers this). For sure the rule isn't adequately written, but I think the intention is clear.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Heres another question, how would it work if say I was playing the Watchtower scenario and I wanted to charge the watchtower with my Witch Elves and Cauldron of Blood? I know my COB cannot assault the building, but is it allowed to go along for the ride and provide the special bonuses it normally does to the Witch Elves? Would it take damage from charging the building can the unit not charge said building at all?

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:05 pm

It's a chariot. Chariots cannot enter or assault buildings (p.86).

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:28 pm

I agree with decker, the intent seems pretty clear.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 pm

So a COB can not even be part of a unit that wants to charge a building, it can't just sit back while 10 other guys or ladies assault the building? I would never expect to be able to fight with my COB in a building assault, I am just wondering if the COB can still be part of a unit that wants to overtake a tower or shanty. I think the key is on wether there is a difference between CHARGING and ASSAULTING A BUILDING, they are either different or the same thing, in which case I will shush up now.

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:28 am

no. Under the rules for chariots it states that no chariot can enter or assault a building. If the unit containing the cauldron assaults (charges) the building the cauldron would also be charging/assaulting regardless of whether or not it participates in the assault. The terms charging and assaulting are interchangeable in the case of attacking the building and the rulebook uses both to describe the act of charging a building. The actual combat is called "fighting the assault".

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Maeson on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:17 pm

K I'll stop pushing the subject now.

One other question for discussion. In a Blood and Glory scenario, does my opponent have to kill both the Death Hag BSB and her Cauldron of Blood to get the kill points. So say I have 8 kill points or whatever they are called, and I am down to 5, if my opponent JUST kills the hag and not the Cauldron , have I lost the game or does the mount need to be elminated as well for the Battle Standard to have been considered destroyed......

who knows eh, wish GW would update the faqs cause there are some things that common sense can't solve(of which I have little anyways). Laughing 

Maeson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:35 pm

Is the death hag the bsb or does the cauldron itself count as the bsb? Unless the cauldron counts as the bsb it is an identical situation to a character mounted in a chariot. You just have to kill the character for the battle standard to be gone, not the chariot.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:27 pm

Total thread-jack, but I made an (almost) all Monster list in Army Builder with 2 Manticores, Pegs, 3 Hydra and 2 Kharybdis's's's's....with Corsairs for core.

Looked fun.

And expensive.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top