Black Armor!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black Armor!

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:17 pm

More questions for you guys! i want to paint grave guard . champions and such in black armor. whats the best way to do this? do i paint the armor actually black then dry brush and highlight edges for scrape marks? do i use a very dark grey and wash it black? then highlight? i want it to look like black iron or something. im not entirely sure but yeah thats what i want!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Black Armor!

Post  Planes on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:24 pm

For a black iron, I'd be tempted to go with a base of Leadbelcher followed by a wash of Nuln Oil. Leadbelcher is dark to start with, and the Oil will take it down to black territory while still allowing a hint of metallic in there.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:30 pm

Naw not black enough. thats how ive done all my WoC stuff and my skeles. i want like uruk hai armor black if u know what i mean.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:02 pm

Mix a bit of black paint (or a black ink) into your metal colour. Don't need much, it'll blacken quite a bit with a dab. You could also try mixing in nuln oil. The best effect would be a black ink, though GW hasn't made that in years (other manufacturers still do). Regardless, with any of those, you should still have a bit of the metallic sheen coming through. Then lightly drybright with a slightly more metallic mixture, and hit a few edges and chips on the armour with pure metallic to really make it pop.

Mess around on a test model you don't care about to get a feel for how it's going to look before slapping it on a black knight though. It may take a bit of experimentation.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Good idea. test model it is!!! thanks gonna try all the ideas and see whats easier/better looking

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:57 pm

It's good advice from Clark on mixing black paint and the metal for your base. If you're looking for armour like the Uruk Hai and you think the GW painted versions are good enough I am sure there are a ton of articles around on how they did there's too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm

ScottRadom wrote:It's good advice from Clark on mixing black paint and the metal for your base.  If you're looking for armour like the Uruk Hai and you think the GW painted versions are good enough I am sure there are a ton of articles around on how they did there's too.

Good call. A quick trawl of GW's far superior old website turned this up:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080706005356/http://uk.games-workshop.com/isengard/painting-uruks/1/

Looks like they just worked from black primer, drybrush tin bitz (I miss you tin bitz), then highlighting the edges.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

There's a rough guide for converting to different colours (Vallejo is more likely to match than current GW paints).

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Looks like they just worked from black primer, drybrush tin bitz (I miss you tin bitz), then highlighting the edges.

Pretty much what I would suggest. Simple and quick.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:37 pm

I shall attempt this. so I should prime the hell outta these models then eh? any replacement for Tin Bitz?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top