Matt from Saskatoon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Matt from Saskatoon

Post  Matt Dean on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi, All!

My name is Matt and I'm from Saskatoon. 23 years old and self employed. I love gaming and currently play a number of games including the Legend of the Five Rings CCG as well as the RPG, Risk, Diplomacy, and a bunch of other board games. I am thinking about getting into Warhammer. I played a few games about 10 years ago and loved it, but didn't really have the cash or patience at the time to really get into it. I have a friend who has an old Skaven army and he said he would play if I got into it so it seems like a good idea!

I'm looking for some tips on what I need to get started. Any advice would be great! Here is my list so far:

---Hobby starter set (This box set contains 9 Citadel paints (Calthan Brown, Iyanden Darksun, Knarloc Green, Tallarn Flesh, Mordian Blue, Undercoat Black, White, Gunmetal & Mechrite Red), 1 paintbrush, Plastic Glue, PVA glule, 1 tub of static grass, 1 tub of sand and Plastic Cutters.)

---Textured Movement Trays

---Dark Elf army book

---Dark Elf Battalion (This box contains 53 multi-part plastic models, including: 12 Dark Elf Warriors with spear and shield, 16 Dark Elf Warriors with repeater crossbow, 10 Corsairs and 5 Cold One Knights. Included in the box are 48 20mm square and five 25mm x 50mm bases.)

---Figure Case

---more brushes? more paint?

Should this be good to get me started? The Citadel stuff seems a bit overpriced. Is this the best source or are there alternatives? I don't mind paying for quality, just wondering if this is the best source.

It will probably be at least a couple months before I have a playable army together, but I look forward to meeting other Saskatoon Warhammer players!

Matt Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matt from Saskatoon

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 pm

Good to see another warhammer player in Saskatoon! I think your list is a pretty good start, but you might want to think about what colors you want your army to be and then buy the paints that you need for that color scheme instead of the starter set. You might save some money and you probably don't need all that other stuff anyway.

The figure cases are nice too, but not a necessity if you are looking to save some money. A lot of people use tackleboxes instead. You will probably also want the big red rulebook which has the overall rules of the game.

Check out the rest of the forum and don't be afraid to post any questions you have about the hobby.

Welcome!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:54 pm

yeah I think your list is pretty good. You could buy some individual paints but the starter set does come with flock and sand which is nice. The battalion box is a great way to start into the hobby. Like Nathan said though, make sure you pick up the rulebook and at least make a quick scan of it. It has great tips for the starting hobbyist as well as the information you need to help build an army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Welcome aboard

Post  Ironwoulf on Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 am

Once you got your DE together contact me. Let me know how many points you have ready, any size game is fun.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Dean on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:09 pm

Thanks for the replies! I'll head down to the Den today and start gathering my forces...

Matt Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Matt Dean on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:33 pm

So I now have 1000 points of Orcs and Goblins! I have somehow convinced two friends to pick up Skaven and Bretonian armies. So after a few games I should be up on all the rules and it would be great to meet up for a game sometime. It will be a while before the army is fully painted though, hopefully this isn't to shameful.

Matt Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:42 pm

i will play you when

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:02 pm

Sponsored content