Rising Tide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rising Tide

Post  Planes on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:30 pm

I think I more or less have the basics of list building figured out now, just need to figure out if I can build one worth a damn, heh. 2500 is what is generally fielded in the local league here, yes?

Lords:
Great Unclean One, Wizard Level 4, Exalted Gift, Lesser Gift, Lore of Death. 580 points

Heros:
Herald of Nurgle, Wizard Level 1, Battle Standard Bearer (Rampagers), Lore of Nurgle. 205 points

Epidemius. 200 points

Core:
Daemonettes x15, Alluress, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Swiftness. 210 points

Daemonettes x15, Alluress, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Swiftness. 210 points

Plaguebearers x15, Plagueridden, Standard Bearer, Musician, Lichebone Pendant. 240 points

Plaguebearers x15, Plagueridden, Standard Bearer, Musician, Lichebone Pendant. 240 points

Rare:
Plague Drones x3, Death's Heads, Plague Proboscis. 210 points

Soul Grinder, Daemon of Nurgle, Phlegm Bombardment. 305 points

2400 points total with 37.5% sitting in Core at the moment (36% once I shoe-horn in another 100 points somewhere).

How well would this list hold up? Is MSU a solid way to go, or should I be looking at doing giant blobs of things? Not entirely sure what to do with that last 100 points, either. I could drop the Drones for a second Grinder (probably Slaanesh aligned), but I really want to field the Drones and understand that duplicate rares are generally looked at as cheese. The only other option that springs to mind is a bare bones Herald of Slaanesh with the Lesser Locus for 95 points.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rising Tide

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:33 pm

That's already a strong list. Keep in mind that you can't duplicate magic items and standards.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:47 pm

And bigger unit of plague bearers!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Ok, with that in mind, rapid iteration!

Lords:
Great Unclean One, Wizard Level 4, Exalted Gift, Lesser Gift, Lore of Death. 580 points

Heros:
Herald of Nurgle, Wizard Level 1, Battle Standard Bearer (Rampagers), Lore of Nurgle. 205 points

Epidemius. 200 points

Core:

Daemonettes x15, Alluress, Standard Bearer, Musician, Banner of Eternal Flame. 205 points

Plaguebearers x30, Plagueridden, Standard Bearer, Musician, Lichebone Pendant. 435 points

Rare:
Plague Drones x3, Death's Heads, Plague Proboscis. 210 points

Soul Grinder, Daemon of Nurgle, Phlegm Bombardment. 305 points

This now leaves me with 150 points open to play with. I opted for the Eternal Flame because I remember someone mentioning they had a hell of a time trying to push an opponent out of a tower on one of the missions they rolled. Seems prudent to have that base covered.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 am

I suppose the other thing I'm wondering about is wether or not Epidemius can join the Plague blob or not.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:42 am

I think he can. His rules are apparently a bit messed up and there is some debate as to wether or not he can join certain units or not.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:48 am

Yeah, I could see how that might be a thing. I have to give 40k one thing, "Independent Character" gives you a very easy and clear distinction on the subject. I just know that he can slum with Plaguebearers in 40k, and it would make sense that he would be able to in Fantasy as well. He'd still be able to do most of his job lurking in the back field, keeping score from the side lines. It's that locus of his that makes me think he should be joining things for the best value, though.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:55 am

For what it's worth, the few times that I've seen him on the battlefield he's been in a unit of plaguebearers. I had no idea that there was an issue with that.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

Epidemius can join plaguebearers. The only real joining restrictions are that characters with unit type monster (eg, greater daemons and dragon riders) can't join units (chariot riders follow the rules for monster riders), and characters can't join units of flyers.

Epidemius is unit type cavalry (riding a palanquin which is unit type war beast makes a character a cavalry model). What this means is that he isn't eligible for a look out sir roll, which protects characters in similar units from cannons, stone throwers and mostly other template things. But with 4 wounds and a ward save, epidemius is pretty resilient against that already.

Overall, I think your list looks good. There'll be points when you want to change some things about it as you learn the game, but you've included some good options to learn the game.

If you have any beasts of nurgle, 2 or 3 units of 1 beast of nurgle are an excellent way to fill those last points. Small units are great as redirectors, or assassins in a pinch. Beasts of nurgle are incredible value both in that role, and in larger blocks.

Nurglings could fill that role too - they'd teach you about scouts and skirmishers, and be quite useful in games (they do have a confusing rules interaction with being swarms, but the long and short of it is that they just have instability like everything else in the army).

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:08 pm

From what I gleaned on Nurglings was that Daemonic simply supersedes the majority of the swarm rules above and beyond having Skirmishers, so they don't seem too bad for rules complexity.

I can totally get behind some Beasts of Nurgle for their counter-charging, I just need to settle on something to convert them out of, since I don't much care for the appearance/price point of the Beast kit.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Ok, so to fill out the remainder of the points I had to work with, I picked up a minimum sized squad of Nurglings (80 points), a lone Beast of Nurgle (60 points), and upgraded one of the Plague Drones to have a Plaguebringer riding it (10 points), for a total of 150 points. Always nice when you hit your target points on the dot.

I'm probably going to muddle around with the Thrulug from Hordes to produce my Beast of Nurgle. The webbed hands and facial tentacles play well into the underwater theme, while the exposed spine goes along nicely with the Nurgle aesthetic.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well that Banner of Swiftness plays out. 14" marches with the Daemonettes will be pretty dramatic, I imagine.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top