Painting Horses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Painting Horses

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:05 am

Alright so this has been something i have been putting off trying to do out of general fear of painting things with Flesh.... unless METAL HORSES. but with my Empire having knights outriders chariots and other mounted things. i need to learn how to paint them. any Pro tips out there? colours to use? how do u shade a black horse? are grey and brown horses a smarter idea? what about a My Little Pony themed army with Pink and Blue horses? HALP! Very Happy

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Painting Horses

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:53 am

Shading a black horse is easy! Basecoat the whole horse black. Take some suitable tan color (ushabti bone is my go-to) and drybrush the horse liberally. Neatness is not necessary. Then put on a few thick coats of black wash. Presto! Horse Done.

Tan horses are also fairly easy. I always start with a black basecoat but it isn't necessary because the whole horse gets a basecoat of graveyard earth, then drybrushes of kommando khaki and then bleached bone. A selective wash of Devlan mud is optional.

You can mix and match those techniques with different paint colors to suit your needs, especially the black horse method. Use different drybrush and wash colors to get various shades of brown or grey.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:10 pm

Excellent! well those horses look awsome so if i cna get half that ill be golden. Im thinking a whole unit of the same coloured horses might look silly. so mixing and matching. just wondering how many black horses the Empire would have. maybe stick with greys and browns...we shall see how my outriders turn out!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:20 pm

For the amount of flesh that's on the empire knights horses, you can get away with very minimal effort I found. I think I used a base of scorched brown with a few light washes of earth shade. I never did finish the outsider horses all though, I find that my wild rider horses turned out okay and I basically did the same thing just used a few different colours like black (the one that turned out the worst), graveyard earth, white spotted and some other brown that I can't remember the name of.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:48 pm

hmm... yeah i forgot the outriders horses show more skin... sluts. the knights are really covered up. thanks guys. With my war machine, 5 outriders and 10 halberders i may yet make the monthley quota!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:04 pm

Horses can be tough to do right. The basic principles still apply though. Pick three shades of a color and work out dark to light. If the abruptness between shades looks to "abrupt" then pick the darker color and mix a small amount of bone color into it. apply and then mix an even larger amount of bone color to the original for the final highlight.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top