Can't live without paint colours

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't live without paint colours

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:48 pm

As I am balls deep back in the painting mode again I just thought some talk on paint colours might be 'aight.

Now that the Den is stocking the Vallejo Model colour range there are some paints I just can't live without. Amongst others German Grey and black brown are great for base colours. Nice colour, great coverage, and they thin well.

For highlight colours if you want to try something new Deck Tan is a pale grey-ish colour that's great. Ice Yellow is great highlight colour as well.

And for a super cool ink/wash consider picking up their Smoke. It's great! I use it on metals all the time.

Anyone out there got some colours they swear by?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't live without paint colours

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:51 pm

I pretty much have my set recipes for certain colors and I don't usually stray too far from what I know works for me. I love ushabti bone, it is a great highlight for pretty much everything and it is a great base for a wash of Devlan mud which is another one that I can't do anything without.

Speaking of which, my Devlan mud is almost gone. How close is it's replacement (agrax earthshade)?

Leviathan purple is also great and I find myself using it in very unexpected places like shading skin.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:59 pm

nathanr wrote:Speaking of which, my Devlan mud is almost gone.  How close is it's replacement (agrax earthshade)?

Army Painter Strong Tone wash. It's identical. Agrax earthshade is very different.

I've been getting away from my core colours, and working to get the right effects.

Scorched brown and devlan mud were two things I used by the boatload, and I've replaced them. There's some colours I haven't really adequately replaced (regal blue and enchanted blue) which are two core colours I use. Graveyard earth is the other colour I'm dreading running out of - it's a key colour I use both for painting dirt and for painting wood.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 pm

I loved Devlan mud for metals, its replacement agrax is nowhere near similar although I like to use if for washes on "rusty" metals. I'll have to try the strong tone wash.

I'm also really keen to try Vallejo, picked up a few and will have to try the smoke ink.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:56 am

As far as my word goes, death world forest, Andrei dust and scorched brown I almost always find a use for. Deathworld forest less than the others. I also use argax earth shade lots, helps my painting a bunch and makes the fig pop for me.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:57 am

I've recently become a big fan of Pallid Witch Flesh, as it goes on nice and solid even when thinned down, and works great as a base for the more fickle colours (white and yellow being prime offenders).

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:24 am

Not an experienced enough painter yet but so far the only color I have had to buy twice and am running out of again is Leadbelcher. But I like very metal armies I guess lol.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:59 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top