Bretonnian for the Masters Tourney

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bretonnian for the Masters Tourney

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

I've put together what I think is going to be a fun list for the masters tournament but I want some feedback from you guys.  Is this too over-the-top?  For the sake of mystery I've left out the magic items and extra equipment.

Lords:
Bretonnian Lord on Barded Warhorse
Level 4 Prophetess on Warhorse

Heroes:
Paladin on Barded Warhorse with Battle Standard
Paladin on Barded Warhorse

Core:
9 Knights of the Realm
8 Knights of the Realm
12 Knights Errant
10 Peasant Bowmen
10 Peasant Bowmen

Special:
3 Pegasus Knights
5 Questing Knights

Rare:
2 Field Trebuchets

It is basically my usual Bretonnian list but with 5 extra paladins instead of a unit of 9 grail knights.

Last edited by nathanr on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bretonnian for the Masters Tourney

Post  Kal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

looks like it could be fun. so many pallys. skip the trebs tho, i dont feel like dodging rocks all game Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:04 pm

2 trebs are necessary in a bretonnian army. They have no other reliable way of softening up enemy infantry formations before the knights hit home. That softening is essential because otherwise steadfast stops the knights in their tracks.

Here's a question, if I gave the paladins lances and morning stars, would they benefit from the morning star's +1S in the second round of combat since they would use their lance in the first? I'm thinking no, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:58 pm

In that case Nathan I think you just pick which one you want and that's what you use. In my mind it does have a reason cause the lance is only good in the charge where you could use the morning stars if you het charged. Never being able to gain the benefit from both weapons in the same combat.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I know you need treb's they are definitley good for 90 pts haha

as far as im learning with knights and empire etc. lance --> HW and thats about it. but again i have no clue

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:56 pm

Except that the Bretonnians have a special rule where if a character is armed with a magical weapon and a lance he'll use the lance on the charge and the magic weapon in subsequent rounds.

That's really the only reason I am asking the question.  Since they can have more than one special weapon, AND the rulebook states that special weapons must be used if they are present, AND the Bretonnian book states that characters armed with a lance will always use the lance when they charge then it stands to reason that they would have to switch to their morning star in the second round of combat.  However, would that morning star give the +1S?  It is the first round of combat that the morning star is being used but it is NOT the first round of combat.  That's why I would say no but it is an interesting loophole to ponder.

Even if that doesn't work, it is still worth it to give them both in my opinion.  For 2 points each it means that I can actually still dish out a bit of damage even if I do get charged.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:52 pm

Lance first round, Morning star second round is the most common way to equip a Paladin. Absolutely legal for Bretonnians.

I'm very, very curious as to how this army plays out.....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:55 pm

it says first round of combat for morning stars. but you don't have to charge to get the bonus. so you would get the +1 if you are charged; or +2 if you do charge, from the lance.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:02 pm

you bunch of rules lawyers or whatever.

Playing by the rules is for suckas

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:23 am

squalie wrote:Lance first round, Morning star second round is the most common way to equip a Paladin.  Absolutely legal for Bretonnians.

So you're saying I've just stumbled upon something that people have been doing commonly since 2006? Well, better late than never I guess. You'll get to see firsthand how this army does on the 4th. Let's make a gentleman's agreement though and nobody bring the sword of antiheroes!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:06 am

nathanr wrote:
squalie wrote:Lance first round, Morning star second round is the most common way to equip a Paladin.  Absolutely legal for Bretonnians.

So you're saying I've just stumbled upon something that people have been doing commonly since 2006?  Well, better late than never I guess.  You'll get to see firsthand how this army does on the 4th.  Let's make a gentleman's agreement though and nobody bring the sword of antiheroes!

ouch that would hurt. crunch through your armor quite efficiently 10 attacks at str 10. im bringing 3 of them Wink

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:15 pm

Here's the backstory for this army:

Hailing from Bastonne in the heart of Bretonnia, Duke LeGrum is beloved by his people. The Lady has blessed him with 6 strong sons of fighting age, all of whom thirst for adventure and honour on the field of battle. Duke LeGrum is nearing his fiftieth year and while he still has the vitality of a man 20 years his junior he knows that his time to rule is nearing it's end. In order to choose his successor he has raised a warhost flying under the banner of the crusade. While all are ultimately under his command, Duke LeGrum has left most of the duties of leadership to his sons. This allows him to join with the small band of questing knights who answered the rally call, searching out fearsome monsters to slay for the glory of the Lady.

The hardest part was coming up with names for all 6 sons!
They are, from eldest to youngest:
Norman
Jaques
Marten
Gerrard
Marcus
Stephen

The army also includes the prophetess Sophia who is tasked with discerning the will of the Lady and ultimately choosing which son will rule.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:08 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top