Lizardmen RaW

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lizardmen RaW

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:42 pm

So after many months of sulking about my armybook I have finally decided to try and get back to rolling dice. That said the some of the rules in this book are a bit of a mess so I want to clarify some things as to how some things must be done with this army.

First up, Predatory fighter: Models in a second or further subsequent rank may only make 1 supporting attack (3 for MI like kroxigor) this means that only the front rank of models can activate this ability. Kroxigor in a mixed unit of skinks cannot activate this unless they are forced into the front rank via death of skinks.

On that note, the Spawn kin rule: Models that are in base contact with a skink who is in turn in base contact with a kroxigor in the same unit, must direct all of their attacks at the kroxigor. This is really a weird one because it specifies base contact with the skink, supporting attacks from behind the model touching the skink directs their attacks at the first rank of the unit they are fighting as normal. Also the Kroxigor are still not technically in base contact with an enemy and may not stomp.

Terradon and Ripperdactyl mounted characters CANNOT join units, even of ripperdactyls or terradons. They used to be able to do so but the rule that allowed this is not present in the new book. Also the toad rage rule that gives ripperdactyls their d3+1 frenzy is only present on the unit entry and very much absent on the mount entry. This seems almost intentional because toad rage is the rule that allows rippers to "mark" a unit with a blot toad, so including it on the skink chief mount would allow the placement of an extra blot toad.

This one I just copied and pasted from an unofficial LM FAQ (full version to be found here if your interested http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13582 )

Does the Engine of the Gods' Burning Alignment spell (pg. 45) allow one to target all enemy units within range even if they are not in the forward arc or are in combat?
A: No, the spell is classified as a Direct Damage spell and has no listed exceptions that would allow hitting units outside the forward arc or units in close combat. It is hoped that this will be changed in an Errata since the 7th version of this spell did not include those two restrictions and the wording included in the 8th Ed. rulebook says "targets all enemy units within.." may indicate intention to apply to all units in range.

A couple other ones that I notice come up, Salamanders CANNOT march and shoot, they used to be able to.
Blow pipes are NOT quick to fire, they never have been.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lizardmen RaW

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Are you sure on the character flying mounts joining flying units. I don't see anything in the book that prohibits this.

I actually really like the Lizard book, it has amazing synergy I feel. I think you just needed to change the style of army build you were using to fit the new books feel.

I really get caught up in the idea that what worked in previous book has got to work in the book. It doesn't work and Ive been trying to change that habit in myself.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Carson wrote:Are you sure on the character flying mounts joining flying units. I don't see anything in the book that prohibits this.

p.97 prohibits characters from joining units of flyers unless otherwise stated. (What units can I join?)

I think the Predatory Fighters ruling is right, but plays wrong (feels wrong to have to roll separately).

Burning alignment is just GW being GW. There's a bunch of spells that don't work because GW didn't think of the consequences of the basic spell rules.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm

So after many months of sulking about my armybook I have finally decided to try and get back to rolling dice. That said the some of the rules in this book are a bit of a mess so I want to clarify some things as to how some things must be done with this army.

First up, Predatory fighter: Models in a second or further subsequent rank may only make 1 supporting attack (3 for MI like kroxigor) this means that only the front rank of models can activate this ability. Kroxigor in a mixed unit of skinks cannot activate this unless they are forced into the front rank via death of skinks.

On that note, the Spawn kin rule: Models that are in base contact with a skink who is in turn in base contact with a kroxigor in the same unit, must direct all of their attacks at the kroxigor. This is really a weird one because it specifies base contact with the skink, supporting attacks from behind the model touching the skink directs their attacks at the first rank of the unit they are fighting as normal. Also the Kroxigor are still not technically in base contact with an enemy and may not stomp.

No one has ever argued with my taking the additional Predatory Fighter attacks from supporting attacks.  I doubt many players will refuse predatory fighter attacks from the supporting ranks.  It doesn't generate enough additional attacks to make it worth fighting over.  Also army book rules override rules in the BRB and the reading in the AB states that you roll an additional attack on any to hit roll of 6; this doesn't state only the front rank so therefore my interpretation is every attack get it.

Terradon and Ripperdactyl mounted characters CANNOT join units, even of ripperdactyls or terradons. They used to be able to do so but the rule that allowed this is not present in the new book. Also the toad rage rule that gives ripperdactyls their d3+1 frenzy is only present on the unit entry and very much absent on the mount entry. This seems almost intentional because toad rage is the rule that allows rippers to "mark" a unit with a blot toad, so including it on the skink chief mount would allow the placement of an extra blot toad.

This one I just copied and pasted from an unofficial LM FAQ (full version to be found here if your interested http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13582 )

This is correct.  However, a character's ripperdactyl still benefits from the d3+1 Frenzy on the unit marked with a toad from a unit of ripperdactyls.

Does the Engine of the Gods' Burning Alignment spell (pg. 45) allow one to target all enemy units within range even if they are not in the forward arc or are in combat?
A: No, the spell is classified as a Direct Damage spell and has no listed exceptions that would allow hitting units outside the forward arc or units in close combat. It is hoped that this will be changed in an Errata since the 7th version of this spell did not include those two restrictions and the wording included in the 8th Ed. rulebook says "targets all enemy units within.." may indicate intention to apply to all units in range.

This is simple. It says 'all enemy units within range' this is a bubble effect. I've had more people argue about me casting it while the ancient stegadon is in combat. Direct damage spells can be cast while in combat. just not on units in combat.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:26 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top