Building a Chaos Dwarf Airship

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Building a Chaos Dwarf Airship

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:52 pm

So.... I've been busy.  Very busy.  I've been thinking about this for several years and finally bit the bullet at the end of August, buying up pieces that I'd need to build my Chaos Dwarf airship.  I give you -

The Indefatigable

... but it started out like this:

The clear acrylic support rod has a 1" diameter and is 2ft long, the airship itself is about 1½ft tall, maybe a little more, so it's just under 4ft tall.

I'm still working on it. The armaments and crew complement are:
1 Captain
1 Sorcerer of the Furnace (Daemonsmith)
1 Helmsman
1 Planesman
4 Infernal Guard Bridge Officers
2 Chaos Dwarf Warrior Main Deck Guards
10 Hobgoblin Crew
1 Black Orc Furnace Slave Worker
8 Cannon/Rocket crew (mixed Chaos Dwarf and Hobgoblins)

1 Deck Main Deck Anchor Cannon
2 Earthshaker Cannons (in the bow)
8 Death Rockets

plus 7 slave prisoner models (1 Dwarf, 1 Snotling, 1 Skaven, 2 Humans, 2 Gnoblars)

So ignoring the prisoners, that's 29 models and 11 shooty things Wink That should just about do it!

I'm working on some rules for it as well. With a stripped down crew and minimal armaments it would be ~830pts, although with everything I figured it's ~1650pts. That would mean that fully loaded I'd need a 6600pt army list before I could fit this into my Rare slot. Yikes.
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Building a Chaos Dwarf Airship

Post  Carson on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

your crazy......in a good way.

How many points do you figure you have in your chaos dwarf army now?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Carson wrote:How many points do you figure you have in your chaos dwarf army now?

Gosh, I don't know anymore. Back before the Legion of Azgorh list and the Forge World models came out I was up over 10,000pts of Chaos Dwarfs, using the Ravening Hordes list. That list is still valid as the Legion of Azgorh list is separate and doesn't replace it... although the Ravening Hordes update for Chaos Dwarfs is largely disused now. Anyway, if I had to guess I've got at least another 6000pts of Chaos Dwarfs since the Legion of Azgorh came out. This is a combination of the new Forge World models as well as my own constructions made to represent models with existing rules. If you add in things like my Doomengine and the airship, etc. it's easily up to 20,000pts, although it's not all painted. This does count Hobgoblins models as well, but they have a pretty low post value. If you go to the Ravening Hordes list it allows units of Orc Boys and Goblins as well as 0-1 units of Black Orcs to be taken as slave units, which I haven't counted. If you add in them as well it would be staggering. My Orc and Goblin troops are in shambles, but I've probably got enough for a 25-model unit of each, and I've got a unit of 50 Black Orcs as well that I used for a short time.

So, if I used both army lists and maxed out all of my possible models, while still keeping the composition of each list legal I could probably do 10,000pts of the Legion of Azgorh and probably 12,000-15,000pts of Ravening Hordes.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:02 am

that is fantastic!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:14 am

This is TOTALLY awsome looking!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:39 pm

You are truly blessed by Hashut. May you always have a 1000 hobgoblin slaves at your beck and call.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Intense model...great work

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:39 am

I finally finished the gun port lids tonight!

They started out looking like this (just some thin layers of plasticard layered up):

I drilled holes for feeding the chains that operated the opening and closing of the lids.  

And this is what it looks like hooked up. When the lids are lowered the rings on the ends of the chains are just unfastened from the hooks inside, which you can see here also:

Initial colour for the lids, plus you can see some of the WIP painting of the various crew.  I figured the deck guard especially needed extra long halberds as they would need the additional reach to keep enemy fliers at bay.

The just-about-finished lids

The gun port lids installed, but without the chains setup yet.

~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:54 am

The chains are awsome. Love that little bunker thing

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:58 am

Very cool, I like the mosaic on the doors. Very dwarfish, even if it is Chaos Dwarfs.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:00 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top