Warhammer Battlescrolls

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Warhammer Battlescrolls

Post  decker_cky on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:47 am

http://www.blacklibrary.com/games-workshop-digital-editions/Advent-2013

So GW has an advent calendar releasing something from GW digital every day of the month. So far for Fantasy that's rules for Be'lakor (for WoC or DoC), and rules for the Restless dead:

Restless dead essentially lets you take undead allies in any army with the above list.

The releases through the 14th have been leaked:

Two more battlescrolls there - creatures of the chaos wastes and crypt scavengers. I don't think the lizardmen "vanguard clash" is going to be rules, since it doesn't have the battlescrolls outline around the logo, and doesn't match a box set.

But I'm pretty excited about the possibility of getting to use dragon ogres and decent monsters with my beastmen. By their composition, it looks like they're going to be pretty balanced by forcing you to take average stuff to get access to the good stuff. Anyone else psyched for these?

By the way, the rules can be printed from your computer with an ebook reader.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warhammer Battlescrolls

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Ive heard that 9th edition will feature allies, could this be paving the way. Have to see how it lays out. I like things like this UNLESS they take away from the feel and play of the actual army the player is using.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:29 pm

Carson wrote:Ive heard that 9th edition will feature allies, could this be paving the way. Have to see how it lays out. I like things like this UNLESS they take away from the feel and play of the actual army the player is using.
I had the same thought. If allies are done through battlescrolls like the restless dead rather than a free for all like 40k, it should be much more balanced. Battlescrolls don't fill any slot (eg, counts the same as all special choices), and make you take some average units (skeletons) which should tone down access to the more powerful stuff.

I'm really hoping to regain access to dragon ogres and shaggoths with my beastmen from the creatures of the chaos wastes scroll. I'm happy to pay a tax of adding chaos spawn in order to do so. So long as the battlescrolls all contain 'taxes' to go with the good stuff, they should be relatively balanced.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:04 pm

that would add something for the beastmen, which would be welcome for sure. I always dread the introduction of a new edition.....always fearful they are gonna fuck-up the game.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm

GW sells plastic - I get that. I'm not big on change at the best of times (if it isn't broken) and I nervous that this may just allow people to cherry pick things for their army.

As Carson mentioned, it may ruin the "theme" of some armies.

Having said that, if they can balance the "units", forcing you to take subpar units (skeletons in the previous example) then I think this is something I could embrace.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Of course they'll screw it up, but it should be fun nonetheless.

And yowza...there's a tax, then there's useless:

Can't say I'm likely to ever try that. That's even less flexible than the restless dead, and more directly "buy this exact box". Why oh why couldn't it have been written up like this, or something similar:

0-2 Monsters from the following like: Mutalith Vortex Beast, Slaughterbrute, Giant, Shaggoth
2 Chaos Spawn must be taken for each monster taken.
1 Unit of Dragon Ogres may be taken for each monster taken.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:34 am

Well, there goes any hope of me using it in a Beastmen army. Seems silly to force someone to use over 900 points that comes on turn 2.

Dang - really wanted those Dragon Ogres in the Beastmen list for nostalgic reasons...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:45 pm

I am a big fan of the idea of bringing some allies onto the field....but I totally agree it has to be within theme.

When I played Bret....miss those guys....the idea of bringing in a Merc Unit or an Empire or Wood Elf Unit made sense and was fun and really made me wanna buy new stuff....that's what GW is all about after all.
Later when I played Beastmen...well within that army it makes sense of you are able to bring in some Chaos Units during various battles....that would be fun.

Hope it works out and they don't fuck things up.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:18 pm

squalie wrote:Well, there goes any hope of me using it in a Beastmen army.  Seems silly to force someone to use over 900 points that comes on turn 2.

Dang - really wanted those Dragon Ogres in the Beastmen list for nostalgic reasons...
900 pt tax to have a decent ambush in the beastmen army. Wink

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top