Primer For Empire

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Primer For Empire

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 am

Hello the Peoples.

So im wanting to prime my empire figs, im going for a darker meaner grittier army im thinking. so originally i wanted to prime in grey. but they grey primer i picked up from Canadian Tire im not very happy with how it feels. i tested it out on some old Marauders and it feels to slippery or slimey. hard to explain but i just dont like it. So im wanting to prime them back is that going to turn out alright? am i going to run into any major problems? i want a darker look to the army so im thinking black might work. the "theme" is Middleheim (spelling) so Red and Blue im thinking.

Thanks!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Primer For Empire

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

Did you use a primer or spray paint ? Cause ir kinda sounds lime spray paint.

I'd say puck up a grey primer, like the army painter primers work really nice I find.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:57 am

Spray primer, i thought that was the only kind. i have the GW Chaos Black primer that i had planned on using. but the Grey is some Canadian Tire brand Spray Primer that is not good

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 am

The primer you are using is for priming big things that you would then spray paint. You need a primer that is designed for miniature painting. You can't cheap out on it and expect good results.

That said, black is an excellent color for priming, especially for the beginner/novice painter. It provides natural shadows to the minis and allows you to get away with more. Don't like painting eyes? Just leave them black. If you had primed grey or white it would look weird but with black it just looks like the guy has really heavy brows and his eyes are in shadow (as long as you don't look too closely). It also will look good on the poofy sleeves of the empire if you don't go into the cracks, it provides a natural separation between the poofs. Just pick up a decent quality primer or do what I do and just use a brush to paint the whole mini with black and then proceed as normal.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:16 am

Krylon is the brand of primer that I usually see suggested as the primer to get from a hardware store. I've never used it, but it tends to come up pretty often in Warhammer primer discussions. I'd keep my eyes open for that if you want a cheaper but possibly better primer option (GW isn't even a true primer I don't think).

Example discussion:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/306156.page

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:11 am

THATS THE BRAND! ha couldn't remember the brand. that's the brand of grey stuff I bought. don't like it. its not rough enough. I think im going to use the Chaos Black GW stuff. just more concerned that black may darken the empire colours to much...

** didn't see nathans post
Yeah I think im going to go with black, it seems easiest and as u said good for newbies, thanks. but yes the cracks will definitely be easier with a black base. alright then gonna paint a STANK!

Last edited by Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

Nathan R, describes it perfectly. Come to my house and ill show you a few primers and we'll do some test figs.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:22 am

squalie wrote:Nathan R, describes it perfectly. Come to my house and ill show you a few primers and we'll do some test figs.
Thanks! Will do for sure, we'll figure out a day. most work except Tuesday. Demi Knights are what I got to try. they have poof!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:32 am

Sean, Middenheim is all blue, the state of middenland is blue and white. Altdorf is red and blue.

get your shit together brother:D 

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Carson wrote:Sean, Middenheim is all blue, the state of middenland is blue and white. Altdorf is red and blue.

get your shit together brother:D 
huh rly?

"Its banner is red and displays a castle (representing Middenheim) and a white wolf's head. Its colour is blue"

and

"Reikland is a very important western province of The Empire, being the homeland of the ancient Unberogens [1] and Sigmar, founder of The Empire. Its colour is white and its symbol is an eagle representing Myrmidia"

from
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Empire

i think im going to buy that Uniform book from GW. might help me out XD

believe me i wana get my shit together! ive been trying to figure out what "theme" i wana go with, keep it accurate!. but its hard to find info about the provinces and what colours they have and how the armys are formed with what units etc ! Very Happy!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17 pm

Just read the book , got lots of stuff in there about the diffrent province's

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:28 pm

the 8th edition book? i have read it, found it very lacking in fluff. maybe i should try and get my hands on the older edition books?

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:03 pm

The empire uniforms and heraldry book is actually pretty useful I thought. Don't have to follow it religiously, but even for ideas for painting cannons and things like that, it's neat.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Sean, your quote just proved Carson correct.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:12 pm

the picture it shows is a red banner with a blue symbol inside is a white wolfs head. so wouldn't it be red and blue? thats what the image looks like... im confused. i want a Red and Blue empire army... i think... XD

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Kal wrote:the picture it shows is a red banner with a blue symbol inside is a white wolfs head. so wouldn't it be red and blue? thats what the image looks like... im confused. i want a Red and Blue empire army... i think... XD
 Here's your own quote - emphasis mine.

"Its banner is red and displays a castle (representing Middenheim) and a white wolf's head. Its colour is blue"

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Primer is a sticking point with me. GW black spray is NOT a primer. It is a nice quality black spray paint. Difference being it is not specifically designed to bind to the surface of the mini. A primer grips to the mini better and if it's a good primer provides a better surface to hold the paint. The lack of "tooth" to the primer you bought originally is what this does to a paint job.

I've gone through a metric shitload of primers trying to find the best one. I don't use black any more but I am a big fan of Tamiya's primers. Any of them. I use grey and currently use the Tamiya Superfine spray. It's da bomb. Anything else is whack yo.

I've used krylon primers and while they do the job once you've used a Tamiya product I would bet you don't switch from it. It's like testor's dullcote, once you've used it you know how good it is.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:19 pm

ok so im not a very good painter so I think to be easy im going to stick with the GW black primer not primer that I have Razz. thanks for FUTURE advice tho lol.

This is the picture they show. so I have no idea. maybe the pics wrong or the wording is wrong... I thought they were Red with Blue and a white symbol... like a white castle... idk now....

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:23 pm

sorry not trying to argue I just wana get my army theme correct before I put paint to plastic lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Their banner is red. The sentence afterwards refers to Middenland. MIDDENLAND is blue - their standard is red....and blue. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 pm

ok.... so if I want a Red and Blue army I need to go... with... Altdorf? or ... not Middenland...

I want red and blue XD

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm

It's Altdorf for you then.

Also, choice of primer is not just about the quality of paint job. Even if you use a decent sealer a lack of proper primer means your mini's are going to be very prone to chipping. Maybe less so now with the lack of metal mini's but primer is important.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Just download the Heraldry book. It'll help.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Good plan!!! Ty

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:21 pm

Kal wrote:the 8th edition book? i have read it, found it very lacking in fluff. maybe i should try and get my hands on the older edition books?
My bad for this comment. I had not realized that the pdf's of the books I downloaded had cut out the fluff pages to make the size of the files smaller. now that I have the book im able to read it more closely

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top