Masters Round 3

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Masters Round 3

Post  nathanr on Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 am

Carson is the man to pay but you can probably wait to pay on the day.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:01 pm

your signed up Geoff, and reserved!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:34 pm

I have another Edmontonian that would like to join. Can you accommodate both of us?

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 pm

hey, we'd make room for both of you for sure!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KingLlama00 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Barcley from Regina here , any room left ?

KingLlama00

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 pm

For Barcley?! We'll make room!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:20 pm

your in

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:03 pm

Carson wrote:4. Has the player refrained from taking double monster  or unique choices.

Can you explain what you mean by unique choices? Does that mean any special character costs you this point?

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:19 pm

some units are listed as unique....such as steam tanks.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Carson wrote:some units are listed as unique....such as steam tanks.

Huh...didn't realize that. Weird since there's 8 remaining steam tanks.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Is there a plan for beers after?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:53 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Is there a plan for beers after?

Yes. As a matter of fact, I was going to post asking if anyone knew a place that took reservations? I just don't feel like driving around in -30 weather looking for a place that doesn't have an hour wait. Maguires was suggested as there would be no wait time and could seat as many as showed up. Considering I'm not entirely sure how many would be going out afterwards maybe this is the (best, convenient) choice? Totally open for ideas.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jo_Kevinsen on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm

Edit.

Turns out I can make it after all. Take that real life.

Last edited by Jo_Kevinsen on Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jo_Kevinsen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:49 pm

squalie wrote:
ScottRadom wrote:Is there a plan for beers after?

Yes.  As a matter of fact, I was going to post asking if anyone knew a place that took reservations?  I just don't feel like driving around in -30 weather looking for a place that doesn't have an hour wait.  Maguires was suggested as there would be no wait time and could seat as many as showed up.  Considering I'm not entirely sure how many would be going out afterwards maybe this is the (best, convenient) choice?  Totally open for ideas.

Maguires is as good as any spot. Plus I can't get all fucked up on their wicked gay strawberry beer. So win win!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:28 am

Can't make it , second vehicle is broken down and the dealership is not able to help.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Awsome event yet again Carson. Thanks! I enjoyed the new point system as well. Kinda gave everyone a chance for some points atleast. Didnt get a chance to look at those trophies but they looked pritty damn awsome too!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:39 pm

So, round 3 has come and gone. I had a lot of fun, and look forward to the next event. Congrats to all the winners.
The masters points are now updated.

First off, a couple of points from the check lists will be reworked, such as the "Themed army" and others. Secondly, one of the points for discernible command was a gimme point for this tournament, as I had a hard time deciding how rigid to be with this. From playing and watching I have noticed that we have become too lax with this. It is very important that command models are immediately recognisable, for sporting game play its essential. Be aware that come next time, if I can't easily tell what the command models are, you won't be getting points for it, maybe even loosing points if its really bad.

Overall it seemed to work well but I want to hear if there were any issues. Don't worry about sparing my feelings. Good or bad lets hear from you.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:37 am

Thanks for running a great show yet again Carson, I'm already looking forward to the next one. I liked the scoring but I'm not a fan of the watchtower, even when there is no tower. The last game was still enjoyable but I much prefer the other scenarios. It just seemed anticlimactic for my last game to be decided by a combat reform where Clark and I both tried to maximize our models on the hill. (Had we counted up victory points he'd have had the game easily so I'm not whining that I lost on a technicality)

If we can get a list for the scoring criteria, especially painting a month or 2 in advance it could help too. I'm a slow painter so I need time to make sure I can max out my score!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:52 am

Very good turn out for another great event. I think it's cool that we're easily capable of out growing the Den for attendance. It's something we may need to explore sooner than later.

I mentioned to Carson on the phone that I must have appreciated the set up as I didn't even notice that anything was really missing. He mentioned a few things to fine tune. The lack of sportsman didn't even play into things which I think says a lot about our group and supports our suspicion that it's not needed for our group. We simply get a long and I think it's wonderful that we don't have to entice people to fight nice. It also allowed me to berate the Lizardmen players and tell them to stuff their Cubes and Quango eggs without fear of losing points. Heh heh. Very Happy 

I agree with Nathan about the Watch Hill scenario. When I played the game against Andre, I witnessed 2 things: The single worst artillery rolling in the history of Warhammer (I'm totally not joking about this. I actually had sympathy for my opponent) and the fact that at the end of turn 6 I simply shoved my 40 Skeletons onto the bank of the hill to claim victory. Seemed a little anti-climactic as mentioned.

I also agree with Carson in the "characters and command group" being easily identifiable. It actually caught me in a game and something we should all be mindful of.

I can't really think of anything off the top of my head that I would have done differently. Liked the painting criteria, or the idea of it anyways. Like the sportsman out of the way so we could just get to hanging out and playing and the scenarios weren't complicated. Oh ya, that's what I wanted to mention; I dislike overly complicated scenarios in tourneys. I can't even remember that I'm playing Blood and Glory sometimes for cripes sake, I don't want lots of objectives and super weird winds of magic phases, etc. But that's just me.

Congrats Carson, another well run event and super cool with the prizes and trophies at the end.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 am

Personally i loved the Watch Hill game type, forced me and Frank to have a giant blood bath on top of the hill by turn 2; it really felt like we were fighting to be king of the hill. we focused all of our main troops to the center and just had Dark Riders and Outriders running around the flanks. between 2 commited combats we easily lost over 100 models in one turn. and i thought that was epic. felt like more of a desperate struggle to be on that hill regardless of how many Battle Points we gave up.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:40 am

Firstly, I want to say thanks to the Ravening Hordes for hosting. It was worth the trip in the bitter cold to play Warhammer with you fellows.
Secondly, I think I left my coastline display at the Den. Ddin't realize this until unpacking the car on Sunday. If any of you happen to be travelling to Edmonton, and wouldn't mind carrying it with you, please get in touch. Don't try to send it! The expense would not be worth the materials used to create it.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:54 am

Had a ton of fun. Thanks again Carson & everyone else for a great time.

Also picked up this beautiful coastline display board. Don't know how it will look with a bunch of ratmen on top but... oh well. Wink Kidding of course.

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Thanks for running the event Carson. Finally got a chance to show everyone that Beastmen really are the best army ever! ;)I'd like to thank Bob's chaos sorceror who miscast and misfired on the same vortex spell, killing a dozen nurgle warriors for me. I couldn't have done it without her support.

First off - I absolutely loved seeing the Den packed, particularly considering there were a number of players that didn't make it. I hope we can keep up that level of participation - I hope we have the problem of trying to fit 24 players into that room soon.

Overall, I agree with Don on the complexity. I'm a fan of complicated scenarios overall - but it's nice just focusing on Warhammer. I think it'd be worth doing some events with extra scenario points (table quarters, kill the general, etc..), and others with just basic warhammer like this tournament was.

I liked the watchtower hill scenario, but the one change I'd make to it is to say that if either no unit is on it, or it's contested by both players, you go to victory points, rather than counting models. One thing I liked was that the scenario had pretty much the same overall push as blood and glory (have some durability in the army), but does it without needing a deathstar build. If you want to make the scenario a bit crazier, make it a forest (but a small one - maybe a 3" one) in the center, which makes for stubborn skirmishers and removes steadfast from ranked units if most of their models are in the forest.

I like the gimme point for proper commands. It's nice to just have there in big bold letters that there's consequences to having ambiguous command models. If everyone gets it, the judge having to check off an extra box is the only cost.

Another hobby point I think would be worthwhile, as I mentioned before, would be a point for having at least half of the models in your army painted and based. It's a point there that's available without the daunting task of finishing your whole army.

-------------

As a sort of aside from all this, I think we should organize a hobby day where we can work on making more terrain, and people can get help making display boards and movement trays. Helps fill out the tables without Carson bringing two tables worth of (amazing looking) terrain, and helps people check off two (very useful from a gaming perspective) points on the current hobby checklist.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:29 pm

decker_cky wrote:As a sort of aside from all this, I think we should organize a hobby day where we can work on making more terrain, and people can get help making display boards and movement trays. Helps fill out the tables without Carson bringing two tables worth of (amazing looking) terrain, and helps people check off two (very useful from a gaming perspective) points on the current hobby checklist.

I agree! Terrain is quick and easy to make. If we had a big sheet of styrofoam insulation and a box of rocks and sticks we could make pretty much anything.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:41 pm

I hear wood chips from landscaping locations/services make for great rock outcroppings.

I poked my head in for this event, mostly to pick up some bits, and I have to say I rather enjoyed getting to see all those painted armies. I've always been fond of those Tomb Kings, and I enjoyed the chance to see the "standless" Phoenix in person. I might have to give fantasy a shot sometime to get in on one of these events, as Chaos Daemons can be dual built into both systems.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top