Change of Venue for Future Events?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Change of Venue for Future Events?

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 am

I think we should look into the possibility of changing the venue for future events. The Den is great because it is free but we can't always get it when we want it and lets be honest, it isn't ideal. We have to fight off MTG and War Machine players for our reserved table space and we are limited by the hours that Darren wants to stay open. I'm going to look into what it would cost to get a large meeting room or auditorium at one of the civic centers, if anyone else has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them too.

Beau (the guy running the 40K tournaments) has already done some of this research and he had talked to me about the possibility of running a large combined event in the spring. His idea was to rent the gym at Cosmo Civic Center for the day with room for 70 tables. The cost for that would be $600. I can't see us filling 70 tables even with a combined event but if we could it would be pretty sweet.

If we did this, we'd definitely need advanced registration and if the minimum number of players weren't reached by a certain date the rental would need to be cancelled, meaning no tournament. Traditionally, our group isn't great at planning so it would mean some extra effort and commitment from all of us and probably some out-of-town advertising. However, I think we could host a pretty kick-ass event if we all put in that effort.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Change of Venue for Future Events?

Post  decker_cky on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:32 am

That would be a two day 5 game event plus Friday night open gaming? I'm definitely up for that for a potential big annual tourney (I've actually been mucking about putting together tournament scenarios to test, and have a set of 5 I think add some different challenges to the game).

If there's room for 70 tables, we should talk to the Warmahordes guys too. That covers up to 140 entrants, so no issue with bumping out players even if the event is popular and can draw some players in the coming years.

Does the venue actually have appropriate tables we could use?

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am

Tables would most likely have to be rented.  At the Edmonton Onslaught tournament they just used 2 2.5'x6' tables side by side with a battle mat on top and it worked pretty well.  I'd have to look into what it would cost to rent 140 folding tables.

I believe the $600 for one day rental.  Not sure on the hours.

I just called Lakewood Civic Center, they have a large multipurpose room that they rent for $24.40/hour.  They are going to call me back with a per-day price and I can ask about a weekend rate as well.  There is also a gym at that civic center, I'll ask about the cost for that too. The libraries also have rooms for rent, Lakewood has an auditorium which would probably be more than adequate for our needs which goes for $165 a day (from 10am to 8:45 monday to friday) or $80 for 10-5 on saturdays. They are not open late on Saturdays which sucks.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 am

Do we know what the upstairs at ACT costs for Tooncon? Seems like a more appropriate size than the Cosmo Civic Center.

The other thing you can do is find a restaurant/pub that has an open floor area (eg, dance/stage) that isn't used, and talk to them about setting up a regular gaming day. In North Van, my gaming group was able to get that for free gaming Wednesday nights and one Sunday per month where they have a bigger event (the bar makes money from food/drinks on typically slow days). One advantage to the bar is that you can have beer during games, but the obvious downside is that it cuts out the young players. Really, these deals come down to finding an appropriate space and negotiating, but if you're looking for somewhere else, that's one route to examine

http://saskatoon.cylex.ca/event%20spaces.html

Seems to be a few options there too.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:06 am

This all sounds awsome. altho drinking and playing warhammer sounds awsome im not sure the bar is the best idea lol.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Planes on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Another item to consider if you guys are looking to run a moderately large event such as this is advertising. There are a number of free options available out there, with Kijiji and Craig's List both immediately springing to mind, as well as social media sites such as Facebook and Tumblr, assuming some basic infrastructure has been laid down there already. I could do some poking around to find out how much it would cost to run an ad in a few different papers, if you want. The Star Phoenix would probably be the big one, given it's area of distribution, but other papers in major centers could be useful depending on what level of crowd draw you guys would need to make a 70 table venue viable.

Planes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Derek and myself used the Sutherland hall for the Death or Glory events. It was cheap, had tables and chairs, was clean and had excellent lighting. The only downside was that is could only host about 30 gamers comfortably.

Changing the venue is a good idea IF and IF you can get the turn-out to justify the cost of the space. Taking all of the entry fees just to pay for space is a terrible idea, everyone wants prizes.

Its hard enough to fill 16 spots at the den even with out-of town support, unless we combined an event with 40k and other game systems.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GeoffKlassen on Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:27 pm

We used to use the upstairs at mcguires in Saskatoon, the other thing I used to do was use space on campus but that was back in my university day. We would use a section of the arts wing not sure if they still do that but it was free. Just need support from u of s gaming club if it still exists. Also if we hold it somewhere else we get less support from local vendors. Just my two bits...

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi- i'm a guy with a gym. If there is enough heads up time I can most likely get you the gymnasium at the YMCA downtown for free for a long one day event. You'd have to rent tables from somwhere and some sort of non-scratchy thing/mat to put under the legs.
Odds are if i'm playing we could stay until later as well.
No beer though.
Just naked people in the hot tubs.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:08 pm

alright and we have a winner...

and naked hot tub SCORE!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 am

cant beat a free venue....thanks Dean!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am

A free venue is awesome.

Scott, Carson and I have been to many tourneys in various halls of one sort or another.

Love them all...but many late nights and lots of work involved.

What made it work was that we were able to get support from the Den and GW. Not sure of GW still does that sort of thing.

The biggest issue was to control the costs. Obviously venue, venue limitations (always something), tables, tabletops, terrain, date and general location (for out of town gamers) are the hurdles. Oh and weather has played an issue many times lol

That is why I loved and pushed the Lord of the Night Series....I only played in a couple of them, they were small and a blast.

Luv the enthusiasm and things sound promising.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top