Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Where can I find Raphael 8404 Kolinsky Sable brushes? DickBlick won't send them. I want to find a Canadian supplier.

I've tried Winsor Newton and I simply don't like them anywhere near the Raphael. The Newtons always spilt on me - always. Now it could be the user, but if the Raphael brushes never do that it means they are more tolerant of stupid people and that brush sounds perfect for me. I also like that the Raphael 8404 has a slightly bigger brush tip in the respective numbers over the Newtons. I DO NOT want Winsors.

Getting frustrated someone help me out. I could have sworn I wrote a thread about this before but couldn't find it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

Post  ashnyr on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi there,

I got my 8404s through deSerres (Quebec/Edmonton).  Just go to deserres.ca and search for raphael 8404.  When I ordered, they were very quick in getting them to me (about a week to La Ronge - or course, your mileage may vary).  I love me my 8404s Smile

Hope that helps,

Gavin

ashnyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Crazy coincidence!

I'm in Edmonton on a business trip and went to the mall last night and bought all the 8404's they had left. They were about $12 a piece depending on size which is really good considering they sell the Winsor & newtons in Regina for $25 a piece!

And it was at Desarres - good call!

I will never, ever use another brush.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm

I love my 8404's but also use rosemary and co brushes. They're similar to W&N s7's but without the price tag. I buy them from the WAMP store. Worthy a shot if you ever see them.

Key difference is the 8404 is more of a firm bristle with more snap to them, the rosemary are a little softer. I've been going to the softer brush a little more nowadays.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I love my 8404's but also use rosemary and co brushes.  They're similar to W&N s7's but without the price tag.  I buy them from the WAMP store.  Worthy a shot if you ever see them.

Key difference is the 8404 is more of a firm bristle with more snap to them, the rosemary are a little softer.  I've been going to the softer brush a little more nowadays.

That makes sense - you are getting soft after all.... Smile

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I just ordered two fine detail gw brushes for 7$ each XD. must find better brushes~! (blame the brushes not the painter!)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top