Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

Go down

Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

Post  squalie on Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Where can I find Raphael 8404 Kolinsky Sable brushes? DickBlick won't send them. I want to find a Canadian supplier.

I've tried Winsor Newton and I simply don't like them anywhere near the Raphael. The Newtons always spilt on me - always. Now it could be the user, but if the Raphael brushes never do that it means they are more tolerant of stupid people and that brush sounds perfect for me. I also like that the Raphael 8404 has a slightly bigger brush tip in the respective numbers over the Newtons. I DO NOT want Winsors.

Getting frustrated someone help me out. I could have sworn I wrote a thread about this before but couldn't find it.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Raphael 8404 vs. Winsor Newton...where to buy Kolinsky Sable?

Post  ashnyr on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi there,

I got my 8404s through deSerres (Quebec/Edmonton).  Just go to deserres.ca and search for raphael 8404.  When I ordered, they were very quick in getting them to me (about a week to La Ronge - or course, your mileage may vary).  I love me my 8404s Smile

Hope that helps,

Gavin

ashnyr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Crazy coincidence!

I'm in Edmonton on a business trip and went to the mall last night and bought all the 8404's they had left. They were about $12 a piece depending on size which is really good considering they sell the Winsor & newtons in Regina for $25 a piece!

And it was at Desarres - good call!

I will never, ever use another brush.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm

I love my 8404's but also use rosemary and co brushes. They're similar to W&N s7's but without the price tag. I buy them from the WAMP store. Worthy a shot if you ever see them.

Key difference is the 8404 is more of a firm bristle with more snap to them, the rosemary are a little softer. I've been going to the softer brush a little more nowadays.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 pm

ScottRadom wrote:I love my 8404's but also use rosemary and co brushes.  They're similar to W&N s7's but without the price tag.  I buy them from the WAMP store.  Worthy a shot if you ever see them.

Key difference is the 8404 is more of a firm bristle with more snap to them, the rosemary are a little softer.  I've been going to the softer brush a little more nowadays.

That makes sense - you are getting soft after all.... Smile
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 pm

I just ordered two fine detail gw brushes for 7$ each XD. must find better brushes~! (blame the brushes not the painter!)
Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum