painting diffrent colours

View previous topic View next topic Go down

painting diffrent colours

Post  Kuyp on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:52 am

So my firsy question is how does one psint s nice white? I'm finding that its just looking blotchy and not really natural.
Sugetions ?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: painting diffrent colours

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:05 am

White and yellow have got to be the hardest to get smooth.  I think the easiest way is to prime white and go from there but since I always prime black I'll give you my method:

- From black, basecoat is codex grey straight from the pot
- Then use fortress grey with full coverage
- Either space wolf grey or pure white, watered down and in light coats.
- Wait for each coat to dry fully before applying the next
- Very lightly fill in the shadows with a watered down blue wash, with almost no paint on the brush.
- Lastly, 1 more coat of watered-down pure white, again with almost no paint on the brush to get the last highlights.

The final result:

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:09 am

In looking at that picture, it could even stand 1 or 2 more light coats of white but you have to stop at some point!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicodemus on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 pm

I agree with priming white.  Also, check the whites that you have, there's a lot of variation in white between the vendors and lots of vendors have a few shades of white.  Also, if you're using white primer, take a critical look at the colour. Make some swatches of primer and your white paints and decide where in the spectrum you want to work. More in the blue? More in the Grey... or perhaps in the yellow end?  I forget which company it was but the primer I had a few years ago had a yellow tinge to it. Didn't matter for most things, but it'll matter if you want to work with whites.  Also, pick a good light source. Natural is best, but this isn't the best time of year for it. I love my OttLite, very good for painting by and picking colours.

Anyway, pick your primer and then figure out if the brightest colour on your model is going to be the colour of the primer or if it's going to be coming from a pot of paint.  In either case start from the most shadowed areas and work your way up as usual. Unless it's a very shadowed/recessed area, there shouldn't be many 'dark' areas, just darker shades of your like colour, so consider mixing in your final shade of white with all of your colours and then adjust the ratio as you go from darker to lighter areas, with your final white colour dictating how many shades and what ratio you're going to mix your paints in. Of course if you spend lots on paint you may have lots of shades to pick from without mixing much of anything (but that's not me).

Same concepts work for yellow.

Your paint consistency will also really matter. If you've gold old paints that have dry patches, avoid using them, or use a wet palette and make sure none of the dried clumps (even small ones) make it on to the palette.  Airbrushing looks like it works for others, but I have no experience with that... I usually add a little water or thinner to light colour paints to help make them go on more even and smooth.

Keep in mind your choice of finish if you use one too, as most matte finishes can dull colours a little, but the matte also tends to help blend transitions between shadings, depending on how much or little you use.

But don't ask me. I paint bad guys. The brightest things are usually lava or blood Razz
(Sssssh!   Don't tell my evil Dwarf masters, but I have a fondness for Elves!!!)
~N

Nicodemus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:14 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top