1250 Lizardman list

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1250 Lizardman list

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm

To help me direct my assembly and painting with the goal of finishing 1250 points for the Army challenge Nathan is running I thought I'd try to some up with a plan. Thing is... I don't know this game anymore. It changed. It used to like holding hands and snuggling and now the goddamn forests might be blood forests or something stupid. So feel free to pick at this list. The core of my army is going to be two lizard Battalion boxes that should help satisfy most of my core needs. Then as point move on all add some of the cooler monsters and stuff. Is the plan anyway. Here's what I was thinking at 1250...

25 Saurus warriors with full command. HW/shield. 305

21 Skinks full command, poison weapons, javelins and shields with 2 kroxigor 277pnts

10 cold one riders full command and spears 370pnts (Jesus are these really that many points? Holy shit. Maybe drop the spears?)

Skink Priest LvL 2 100pnts

Saurus Scar Veteran Light armour and shield (he's da boss!) 90

Saurus Scar Veteran BSB 105

1247 total.

So?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1250 Lizardman list

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:36 pm

I don't know much about lizardmen but I do think that your skinks would be better fielded as skirmishers with some sort of ranged weapons. It gives you some more options in strategy and gives you some diversionary troops with a bit of mobility. You can use them to harass the enemy flanks and threaten missile units and war machines. In my experience, skink and kroxigor units tend to die because you can kill a lot of skinks for combat resolution that the kroxigor can't make up for. I'd say field the kroxigor by themselves.

Cold one riders are probably best used in 2 smaller units of 5. They aren't going to be a good main-line fighting unit, that's for your Saurus to do. They may have gotten better with the new book but in the old one they weren't worth it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Are Kroxigor any good on their own? Good stuff for me to consider. I was hoping for more than a single combat unit. Wishful thinking at this piint level maybe?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:52 pm

Mostly right.  Kroxigor aren't really considered as you can't hide behind skinks anymore.  That would also be considered too many cavalry, which are thought of as ok at best.  Times have changed young man, but I'm glad you're willing to relearn this game.

Last edited by squalie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:28 am; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:09 pm

The saurus, skinks, and characters are solid for 1250 though I would go spears on the saurus. An extra rank of attack will beat out an armour save in 8th edition. Cold one riders are sub par although a unit of 10 could potentially rock it out. Keep in mind that combat is strickly done in Initiative order not by who charges. With Lizardmen your 95% of the time striking last and you'll loose most of your riders before they get to strike. 5 coldone riders are just easy points for your opponent.

Skinks and kroxigors I feel are much better than people give them credit for. mv 6 and the gaurenteed attacks from the kroxigors are awesome.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Small thing to consider also is unit size and how to deploy them. Things are only 5 wide if they are going for ranks cause they can't fight. Decent size I'd say is 6-7 wide at least, with that in mind you can keep your units in multiples of those sizes. I'm not a lizard expert but 28 (7*4) seems right.

Skinks will die so fast in such a small unit they won't stick around. They are good for holding up a monster or such for a turn but don't expect them will a prolonged fight.

Cold ones are okay but not the greatest

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pud on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:19 pm

I have a love/hate with my Lizards but the book has switched toward love again. I run my Saurus at 7 wide 4 deep hand weapon shield and 6 wide 5 deep with spears or hand weapon shield. Skinks I run in units of 10 or 15 as redirectors and Krox I tried in a unit of 3 and they did ok, with skinks they can get hit but a good punch so they do work in groups but low leadership. Cold ones are good for flank or war machines and great armor. If you want a test match let me know as I have everything that you are looking to use.

Pud

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Well, even though thinking about the lizardmen makes me mad at the moment I think I may have some helpful input. First off you have a solid list for the mst part, though I would say the cold ones are a waste and a conundrum. Keep the spears and they cost too much, drop the spears and you might as well get 3 saurus for the price with a couple more S4 attacks. The problem is that they have the cost and speed of heavy cav but neither the S6 charge nor the 1+ save typical of such units. Combined with low initiative and stupidity (comes with immune to psychology so no fleeing a charge from a bad matchup) these guys will take casualties before they strike. The best use for them is killing off small weak enemy units like skirmishers or minimum units of archers or gunners. That said you wont need a unit of 10 for it. Their one gimmick as calvary is two attacks each and two on their steeds, and since second rank only contribute one attack and none from steeds your not gaining much. So that said I think if you want to include them no matter what, two unit of 5 with musicians or no command would be best.

Another heavy hitter option is the kroxigor. In my opinion ( which should be probably not be taken seriously as I've been massacred every game with the new lizards) a good option might be to split your 21 skinks into two 10 man skirmish units and take 3 krox as a special. Or we come to a true gem of the book if your willing to add a stegadon to your army, though I know some people don't like the look. An ancient stegadon with an engine of the gods and sharpened horns comes in at 300 points, but with 5 wounds T6 a good armour save and a 6++(among others cool things) its a steal.

Other than that I would recommend you give the armour and shield to your Bsb before the general as your main line infantry is Ld 8 anyways, especially if you keep any number of cold ones, as they are ld 8 but stupid, so the re roll would be invaluable. A dispel scroll on the priest might do you more good than level 2, and the signature spell for beasts is a great spell that you will likely throw all your dice at anyways.

Hope it helps, though lizardmen are new and for me very much still in the experimental stage. On an unrelated note I may have an unopened army box kicking around somewhere.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm

So skirmishing skinks, blowpipes?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:11 pm

I think the walking calculators decided that javelin shield is a better option. I think the pipes look cooler though.

Lizzie's haven't found their stride yet and may be a touch challenging for the wins. Good luck!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bluepeople on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:02 am

My experience using skink skirmishers (no calculators used). I want to take advantage of poison attacks. I cant do that as well with blowpipes because more often than not I'm moving that turn with my skirmishers, plus most likely long range and multi-shot I'm hitting on 7s (poison nullfied). whereas javelins have the same range but quick to fire so no -1 for moving and firing. so im hitting on 5s. the poison attacks do a lot of the damage i have found. also javelins being thrown weapons use the strength of the thrower. so if you say want to pop off a wissan's wildform on your skirmishers - they are now str 4 thrown weapons (not that ive actually tried this as I have better things to give +1 S and T to. Wink okay maybe I did use a calculator

bluepeople

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:23 pm

Glad I came back and checked this, I was about to do them up all blow pipe-y. Thanks guys!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:14 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top