New Painting Challenge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Painting Challenge

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:47 am

I've got a few Dragon's Den Gift Certs left over from ToonCon and I'm going to make you work for them if you want them!

Here's the idea:
Contestants will paint a minimum of 200 points per month for 6 months starting in October. At the end of that 6 months we will have a 1250 point tournament (ideally using the models that you painted). ANYONE who paints 200 points per month for 6 months will get a $10 gift cert from the Den, if that means I have to buy more out of my pocket so be it.

Additional Rules:
- You can't paint a character 2 months in a row
- Painted models must be fully painted and based to count
- If nobody completes the challenge then the person(s) who completed the most months will be awarded the prize
- If you paint 400 points in one month you can bank 200 points to use the next month. You can only do this ONCE

This is only fun if there are lots of people doing it so let's all give it a shot! Sign up below.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Painting Challenge

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 am

Gah! 200 points! That's so many mans to paint. I'll see what I can do.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:22 am

We have until October to hammer out the fine details, if 200 seems like too much we can potentially reduce it but I'd like the final outcome to work out to around 1200 points. I thought 6 months would be a good time frame but we could potentially extend it a bit.

We could also make it 200 points or 10 models or a full unit, I'm open to suggestions. I want it to be accessible for everyone and I may have swung it too far in the 'quantity over quality' direction.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:05 am

I'm in whatever the rules are. Good excuse to paint up a whole whack of centigors (some more bestigors and a Cygor too).

Quick recommendation: Make it a number of models rather than a set points value. The difference between skaven and chaos warriors in getting this done is pretty ridiculous.

Why not something like painting 15 infantry, 8 cavalry, 5 40 or 50mm based non monsters, 3 chariot sized non-monster models, or 1 monster in a month? May not repeat 2 months of monsters in a row.
-15 infantry minus command (30 pts average) is 11 pts average
-8 cavalry minus command is 21 pts average

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 am

Damn decker thought it was going to be easy for me. paint 5 warriors and be done Wink jk.

but im definatly in. this month gonna paint me some warriors!

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I like that Clark, I'd change the numbers up a little bit though. I'm going to set it at average minimum unit sizes and the average number of models per box.

Infantry: 10
Cavalry: 5
Monstrous Infantry: 3
Monstrous Cavalry: 3
Chariot: 1
Monster: 1
Character: 1

You can't paint 1 model 2 months in a row (so if you paint a character in October you can't paint a character, chariot or monster in November). Is that too hard or easy? I'd like this to be somewhat difficult to achieve but still accessible to everyone.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:46 pm

i know u want to have a 1200 pt game at the end of this all. and u would like it to include the painted models. but is that manditory? because i would like to paint some warrior and some daemons. just wondering.

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:15 pm

It's not mandatory, I just thought a tournament would be a good way to wrap up the challenge. I don't expect people to paint a full 1200 point army, just to keep an army in mind as they are painting and maybe use some of the newly painted models in it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:34 pm

sounds good to me! im definatly in! now i just gotta learn how to base things lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm

Take white glue, put it on the base. Take sand, stick it to the glue. Paint the sand.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:10 pm

and what if i wanted to do charred black earth? like rock

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Kal wrote:and what if i wanted to do charred black earth? like rock
Paint it charred black earth, like rock.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:38 pm

Depends on what you want, you can use larger aggregate or slate or really whatever.

The main thing you want to do is to paint whatever you use. Even though you would think that you can't paint a rock more realistic-looking than what a rock already is but it looks so much better once you've painted it with a base and a few light drybrush coats.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  decker_cky on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 pm

Careful with sand - it can actually get kind of gross (I think you're supposed to disinfect it to use on miniatures). I picked up some medium ballast (a model train material) to base instead of sand. You can also mix that with fine ballast for something closer to sand. I use white glue, cover it with ballast, then mix white glue with water, and paint that over the glued on ballast. Do that before priming the model, then prime it, then paint it however. I usually use a bit of static grass on the model as a final basing step.

If anyone needs a bit of ballast to test, it came in a giant container, so I could give you some to test on some models to see if you like it.

decker_cky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 pm

Im in with fo sure.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:55 pm